The darkest vintage Ferrari reds/maroon's offered by the factory? | FerrariChat

The darkest vintage Ferrari reds/maroon's offered by the factory?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by davemqv, Jun 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 davemqv, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I searched this and was surprised not to find anything.

Any idea what the darkest solid red (including maroon) offered by the factory was from the 50's through the 70's?

The darkest I can find is Amaranto Ferrari 20-R-188, but in certain lights that doesn't seem that dark.

Rosso's Nearco and Bourdeax seem quite light in comparison, but I've never knowingly seen them in person.

Then there is Marrone Ferrari 20-M-189. Again hard to tell on the computer, but it seems it might be quite dark maroon to brown (I know that's what Marrone means). Is it a solid colour?

This Daytona (#14999) is listed on the auction page as Brown, and appears to be quite dark, but they don't give the paint name or code. Marrone Ferrari 20-M-189? Anyone know?

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1972-FERRARI-365-GTB/4-DAYTONA-2-DOOR-COUPE-137816
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    14999 was Rosso Cordoba 106-R-7.
    Photo is way too dark and needs to be brightened up.
    Forget computer screens, each is different.

Marcel Massin

3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Marcel.

4. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #4 davemqv, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Marcel,
    If I can ask a follow-up...was Rosso Cordoba available as both a solid and a metallic colour?
    In addition to 106-R-7, I also see it listed as 106-R-136...which appears to be a solid finish on this 275...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Totally incorrect information.
    Please do not believe internet nonsense.
    The car pictured is 275 GTB/C Chassis #09063 and that car was/is painted Rosso Rubino, not Rosso Cordoba.

Marcel Massini

TCL likes this.
  6. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks again, Marcel.

Yes, I know the internet is a minefield loaded with bad information, but without access to original colour charts or cars (it would be a lot of cars!) it's hard to know where to find correct info and examples.

Perhaps I'll start a thread for vintage cars showing only confirmed colours, i.e.- cars with the original sticker or documentation from an owner if repainted.

But I'm still trying to figure out what the darkest red offered was! :)

7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Please do not take this negatively....

but why?

Just curious! Wish I could help you with your hunt.... Also, are you looking for officially available colors or one offs? Because it is probably almost impossible to track the one offs

8. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #8 davemqv, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Partly personal (colours to paint cars I own or want) but mostly for the purposes of education.

I also collect watches and in the vintage watch community we run threads like this all the time, some specific, some general, for the purpose of increasing and archiving personal & communal/overall knowledge.

While Fchat no doubt has many users, each with specific, accurate knowledge that relates to cars they own or have owned, the information generally is spread all over the forum in hundreds of different threads. I'm trying to educate myself and collect as much info as possible. While some of my questions may seem banal, they're still questions that have answers...which I'd like to know. ;)

I'm asking about factory colours. There are lots of subtle differences that are still, in my view, important differences. For example, is there a difference in appearance between bleu ultrascuro and blu scuro? How many different shades of Avorio are there? What is the darkest factory red/maroon. Which colours with the same name were offered as both metallic and solid colours?

I'm asking about vintage cars as they're defined here (up to 365 GTC/4). This info is much easier to find about modern cars.

9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Eleven.

Marcel Massini

10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave