The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 95 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think the problem is folks thirst for knowledge on his well being, now regards his family I wouldn't think anyone has or should have have problem with there stance on a news black out, it is up to them.

Some can and seem to on here at least, argue till the cows come home whether this is the right way or not, personally I'am easy with it .

So is it a case of your damned if you do and your damned if you don't.

Whatever the case all sides are rooting for the same result, the best possible recovery for him.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There is a well wishers thread. This is the general update thread. No need to close. Feel free to unsubscribe from it if you don't like it

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Spot on once again

I also think that Kehm must feel torn. As a PR agent she knows exactly on what to say when, yet she has been given a gag order

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Huh?

Nobody is asking for updates from or about them.

As mentioned many times they don't need to be part of the process since they have a professional speaker already.

As for Ralf: he is a public figure too

5. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    But it's their privacy at issue. All this talk about Michael's privacy misses the point.

6. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    #2356 Sunracer, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    The lack of empathy for his wife's situation is saddening. Her husband, gravely injured, she trying to support him and their kids every day, but come now honey, lets sit down and think about what to say to the media and the fans!!! That is a BIG priority right now! -surely her needs must come first not the demands of us fanboys. People often deplore the conduct of the media in personal matters, and the media replies about the public's "right to know" somehow that has gone from important reporting to celebrity news. Surely it was meant to apply to a free and open society in terms of governance etc, things that have materiel importance to to society. (was the ski area safely managed, was there a problem with his helmet, was the public medical response timely and properly carried out, these details affect members of the public, all scrutinized and reported, good) Here we have the public demanding private information, a fine example of the goading that leads low life members of the media to dress as a priest to get us some pics.(because we have aright to know!) Yes we love MS and would like to know more, but right now this is a situation to leave our needs unmet, and lecturing about how she should be handling it, it seems very selfish and callous to me.

Forcing the poor woman to better manage the situation because MS has an imaginary 'debt" to us for making him famous? He paid that off long ago with all the great racing we got to watch, thx MS!

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    In that case I am missing the point because I don't see that there is one.

Nobody wants to see the family's ordeal or how they are trying to deal with an impossible situation. That's not what is being asked here.

8. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Andreas we've exchanged posts for a long time and I hope you know that I respect your opinions but I do think that you're missing this point.
    The family's decided on a course of action that they believe works best for them. If we respect Michael shouldn't we respect their choice whether we agree with it or not?

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm not arguing with you (and I respect your opinions, mostly :p). I just said that I am missing the point.

As for the rest you and I discussed that some hundred posts ago already: There is no choice but to respect the family's wishes. That still doesn't mean we have to like them.

And as I already tried to explain: To me this debate is not whether I'm given an update or not but what the correct course of communication would be. I think what they are doing right now is not in their own best interests.

Anyway, in a couple of weeks the focus will shift and this thread will dry out by itself.

10. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Fair enough.

See you at the races.

11. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I think at this point we can assume that no news is NOT good news

12. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    After 2360 posts on this thread, 98% of which were repetitions, I've wasted far too much time and had enough, no, had too much.

Out.

13. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #2363 Peloton25, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I came to that conclusion myself a while ago and it's why I'd be desperate to hear any shred of some good news.

I saw Michael at the Quail Motorsport Gathering in Monterey this past August and while I am not typically star struck it took a lot of willpower to avoid approaching him for a quick hello, offer some praise for all his talents, and perhaps ask for a photo. I started watching Formula One in 1994 so I really grew into my love for the sport as his career took off. I heard he later gave a discussion to the crowd that afternoon at the Quail, something I sorely wish I had known about and would have stuck around to enjoy.

Here's a photo I did snap - our man Napolis (aka Jim Glickenhaus) engaged in conversation with Michael, then his good friend Jean Todt there in the center with Jean's wife Michelle Yeoh behind. Partially cropped on the left side is Jason Castriota who was the designer of Jim's Ferrari P4/5 too. Needless to say, a thrilling moment to see him there was enjoyed but a more thrilling moment to meet my hero was missed and it would seem with high likelyhood that none of us may get the chance of Michael's company again. Really very, very sad...

>8^\
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I was called out by Zeus. He suggested that I quit practicing law, because I didn't know the law. He then challenged me as follows . . . and this is from his post:

"You are totally wrong in your statement that the law recognizes celebrities, such as actors/actresses and athletes as being public figures. They have never been recognized as such under the law. You throw out the term "legal precedent" and cite defamation cases as an example."

He then concluded:

"I challenge you, or anyone else on this forum who claims that somehow Michael Schumacher has come under the legal definition of "public figure", to cite one case . . . ."

I was simply answering his challenge.

Maybe you could read a few posts before jumping in to this fray. I have said, all along, that the family is free to reveal as little or as much as they want.

15. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Precisely.

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes, but it also isn't bad news. It's just no news.

17. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I'm still going to stick with the old adage that 'no news is good news!' At least until I hear something from Sabine or his docs directly.

Godspeed Michael
    Ian

18. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    See above.

;)

At this point we have to settle for no news.

19. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    I can see you were right. You should have warned me prior to posting this bit ;)

Thank you! I missed that bit.

Without a shadow of a doubt you are 100% on target. And if the one "you" disagree with is also a political opponent, it increase the chances of an argument.

20. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Well, the speculation going on in this very thread is how respectful to his family?

I never said they owe us anything. It is entirely up to them if they want to tell us what is wrong. But if they came with precise updates I am quite positive some of the ridiculous speculation you see in the papers weekly would somewhat diminish. It would maybe also get rid of some of the press-hawks we all know are hanging around the hospital, or trying to get in contact with the family.

As for his condition. I don't know. I just get sad whenever I see the picture of him in Ferrari outfit and on skiis. I know very well how bad the situation is (or do I, since we get no real updates?) and think every week that I have accepted the situation. Then I see him in the F suit in the newspaper with another questionable story and I see the same words from Sabine, and I get really sad again.
    This is repeated again and again because noone except those close to him, know what is going on.
    This guy have brought me TONS of joy over the years and I hate seeing him go through this. I just wish he would come back, or that we could get some official info, no matter how bad it may be. Atleast it would be official info one would have to deal with, instead of speculations based on rumours.

Also, I am in no way suggesting that anyone from the family should step forward unless they want to themselves.

Oh and for the public figure issue. Schumi is very VERY much a public figure and always will be.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Great photo!

Michael always said he liked to vacation in America because it was one of the few places he could move around freely without being bothered.

Someday he will again.

22. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Friggin' 'eh! Gotta believe!

Godspeed Michael
    Ian

23. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    No kidding. I like to hope for the best, but I don't think he's coming out of this. A real shame.

24. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Took some advice and changed my Avatar to honor MS.

25. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    But it represents F-Chat so well...