The Official "Jay Leno Doesn't Like Ferraris" Thread | Page 24 | FerrariChat

The Official "Jay Leno Doesn't Like Ferraris" Thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ernie, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    As for all the Jay Leno fans....

I'll also admit that when it comes to general (non technical) automobile knowledge and history of all the makes, Leno probably knows much more than I do ---- he is a serious car enthusiast.

His tastes and mine don't align, however.... he's got some pretty weird stuff in his collection...

2. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    LOL about Leno's 28,000 mile comment! I've been saying that (tongue-in-cheek) about 308s for a long time now -- I've been watching them in classifieds for over ten years, and the majority have always seemed to have 28k-32k miles on them! (Whether it is because of odometer fraud, garage queens, or deferred maintenance is irrelevant; the point is that people are afraid to put miles on them. May as well be Corvette owners.)

:p

3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Honestly, does anyone really give a flyin F^&* what cars Leno likes or dislikes???

4. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    No.

5. NoFerrari

NoFerrari Karting

Nov 24, 2004
    Oakland,Ca/LA
    Full Name:
    Benny
    I think he just likes to root for the underdogs.

6. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Jay is probably just scared of having to join FChat if he gets an FCar.

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    problem is....he's right...

average 308 has 40,000 miles on it. Average 360 has 30,000 miles on it. Do the math..

8. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Does it have to be Coors?

9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    We don't drink Coors in Colorado ----- that's only for the tourists! :p

10. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I wonder how rich Jay is.

My wife and I watch him a couple or three times a week, and discuss the subject from time to time. She thinks he's got to be a billionaire by now, I say his net worth is more in the $500 mil. range. We're just guessing.

In either case, peeling off a mil or so to buy a concours 275GTB/4 through an exclusive, fawning middleman or a comparably-wealthy private party doesn't seem like all that hard a thing do. Wouldn't be for me.

Why don't we talk about the Ferraris in the collections of rich, high-profile celebrities like Letterman, Nick Cage, and Ralph Lauren, and leave Jay in peace with his HemiCudas, firetruck, and jet motorcycle.

It is too bad that Jay doesn't pay more attention to Ferraris, though. He's only 1.5 years away from Tonight Show retirement and looks like he's positioning himself to be a very public automotive guru with Jay's Garage online, magazine columns, etc.

11. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'll call a spade a spade, but ill give the Devil his due, too. First off the restaurant is 100% at fault either way. You make a reservation, you have a spot. Period. If they are so wishy washy they cant respect thier clientel, eat somewhere else. OTOH, to knowingly step to the front of the line and push other people out of the way, regardless of the establishments invitation, well, its pretty dispicable. If its true that a Ferrari dealer tossed him out for acting beligerantly, then my hat is off to Ferrari for having better ethics than to cowtow like all the other makers have and kiss his lily white a$$. Its nice to know that no matter who you are, or your position in life, that a buisness will treat you the same as everyone else who walks through the door. THAT is the true expression of "class".

If he didnt know, he didnt know, not his fault. But if the guy knew he took your table, he's a prick.

12. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I hope you don't seriously believe that Ferrari does not favor or kow-tow to its favorite clients.

Do you think the Sultan of Brunei had to wait in line / get on a list?

13. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, he did get in line, all his cars were special made just for him. And I also dont believe he walked into the factory and started ordering people around. Some people might be able to walk into a restaurant and get what they want because of who they are. But I honestly believe that there are places in the world that still know what real class is, and stand on thier principles. I am sure the Sultan spoke to that certain someone politely and placed an order, in fact I know he did. People like Leno, if he has acted as has been suggested, walk into places and think the world should stop. People like the Sultan know better than to expect that of people. I doubt the Sultan would have walked to the front of the line without protesting. Many celebrities OTOH, feel it is thier "right".

And Ferrari's favorite clients are not always that wealthy. It appears that many times they bend over backwards for the guys that hang it on the line for them, holding cars for long time customers they value and trust and pushing others aside. I could be wrong, but it appears that if your on the list and your car is on the dealers floor, that nobody, not even the Sultan, could buy it out from under you. Again, I could be wrong, but that is the feeling I have percieved from Ferrari. You kiss thier a$$, they will kiss yours. But bite thier hand once and you wont be buying anything, ever.

14. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon

15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Either we all have to get on the bottom of the list, or the list gets tossed: which is it, and where / how do you draw the line?

The Dealer draws the lines PERIOD

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    How come a party of 2 got a table that belongs to a party of 10.
    I am assuming that because you said Leno and friend not friend(s)

17. Kalidengas

Kalidengas Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    J.Santiago
    Who cares about Jay Leno?He doesn´t have a Ferrari? So what?"The tonight show" is the kind of show that Enzo will ever see?Its a compliment to Ferrari spirit that a collector like Jay Leno don´t want to own a Ferrari!

18. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    It doesn't matta!

Whether Jay Leno, is a nice guy or a jerk.

Glad that he is a car collector and motorcyclist, with the means to enjoy it all.

It's clear that he prefers a Lamborghini, to a Ferrari. He's happy, and that's that.

Ciao...Paolo

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As I said already, Jay himself is the one who brings up the topic again and again. Every so often and now in the most recent issue of Octane he feels the need to explain why he doesn't have a Ferrari in his collection. He keeps stabbing at the marque with silly arguments.

20. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Jay probably just wants to be different, he probably also realizes that Ferraris attract more than enough attention that combined with his fame would make driving the cars unbearable.

21. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Then why not say so? Why the constant bashing instead?

22. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    For Jay to say that it would dent his incredibly large ego.

23. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I think Porsche has gone out of their way to keep him happy - he is big Porsche fan. Apart from the fact Jay doesn't have a Ferrari, he has a lot of other awesome cars including McLaren F1, the Rocket by Gordon Murray. He also has fantastic old cars - Duesys, Bugattis and so on. He may not like Ferrari but big deal, I am glad he collects cars.

24. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    You have it backwards, the legend is that the dealer treated Leno belligerently, not the other way around. Felt he was treated unfairly and the experience was likely embarrassing to him. Turned him off to the brand. Went to Lambos as an alternative. He's also a longtime Ducati fan.

You honestly think Ferrari dealers don't cowtow to celebs?!! That's a nice world you live in.

And Leno didn't take your damn table, the restaurant did. Or looking at it another way, it's your fault by not being more of a VIP (and trust me, your table could have also been usurped by a mid-level agent's assistant or the latest winner of Beauty and the Geek in this town).

Hey, might that be an .... analogy? Could this be the after-school-special lesson? Let's see, the restaurant treated you badly in a way you felt was unfair and embarrassing....I have a sneaking suspicion you'll never go back there....

25. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Ouch!!!