The Official "Jay Leno Doesn't Like Ferraris" Thread | Page 25 | FerrariChat

The Official "Jay Leno Doesn't Like Ferraris" Thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ernie, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
  2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
  3. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Interesting link from J. Leno http://blog.nbc.com/jaysgarage/ with the following quote:

November 14, 06:31 PM

Why I don’t own any Ferraris
    "I do like Ferraris. I like older ones. It just when I started collecting cars, Ferraris have always been expensive. Lamborghinis were fairly cheap, relatively. You could buy a car like an Espada, which is a V12 with 6 carbs and a 5 speed for probably a quarter of the price of a comparable Ferrari.

So it just sort of became a joke around the shop, but when I do get a Ferrari you’ll be the first to know."

4. mawu

mawu Karting

Jun 11, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin
    tifosi12, perhaps Jay Leno like people like you to get mad about that?

You're too much tifosi, relax, it is his personal opinion, no matter how silly you think it is. Why do you care - you are not Enzo Ferrari. It's not worth speculating about it, we will never know for sure anyway.

5. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Could be that this is exactly what he thinks (whether from dealer experience or some jacka$$ owner) but is polite enough not to say it. It obviously irks some people, so he gets the question a lot. If he does think Ferrari's are overpriced and generally owned by pricks, then he has a lot of class for keeping it to himself.

And let's be honest here... Ferraris are overpriced, and the average owner is not the type that is on this forum. I'd wager the typical owner is the guy who bought a Ferrari as status symbol.

That being said, IF you love the cars, then the extra cost is worth it. If not then what's the point? It makes more sense to me for someone who lives and breaths Ferrari to buy a Ferrari than someone who couldn't care less about cars buying a BMW. If I were Jay Leno and Ferrari didn't float my boat, I'd spend my money on something else. Hmmm... like a McLaren F1...:)

6. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    His firetruck and jet motorcycle don't attract attention?

Yeh, you're right, he probably doesn't want to join the Ferrari hordes...I guess knowing that Jay has his choice of the best vintage collector Ferraris available and doesn't take advantage of this good fortune is hard for me to assimilate.

7. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    For anyone who really loves Ferraris, I suppose it is hard to understand why anyone like Jay Leno with that kinda cash and his love of cars would not own one. But I understand. Don't get me wrong, I think the F430 is perhaps the best all-around sports car in the world. But when I went shopping for exotic cars in 2006, I quickly realized that to own one, a brand new one spec'd to my tastes, I would have to buy at least 1 "older" Ferrari from a local dealer and "hope" I got a place in line with the "hope" that maybe I would get my car built within the next year. And there was NO "hope" of paying MSRP. In contrast, I could walk into the local Lambo dealership and order a Gallardo spec'd to my tastes and have it within the year at MSRP. I ended up buying a Ford GT at MSRP...guess what still worth MSRP! Now, some of you may say that these other cars are not Ferraris, supply and demand, yada yada yada. And you are the type of people that should buy Ferraris no matter what!!! You should never buy a Ford, Lambo, or Porsche because it just isn't good enough. But for many of us, who have test-driven these cars and have the cash to buy them, the loopholes that one must jump through to purchase a new Ferrari are just not worth it! This is not elitist just our reality. I like Ferraris...really...just not enough to spend so much money over MSRP and time to buy one. I don't know if this is J Leno's reality or not...but if it is I understand.

8. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Ethan:

I see your point, but you miss the point yourself: In order to get that new Ferrari, there are dues to pay. One of the things that I love about some of the people who own these cars, is that they paid those dues, and ended up with their cars. There are huge amounts of people with tremondous amounts of money, some of whom want Ferraris. The competition for that new car is tough. For some of us, who do well, but aren't super well off, finding a means to get on that list is a challenge, and sometimes doesn't even involve money.

As for your Ford, enjoy it, it's a great car. Too bad it isn't a Ferrari.

Art

9. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Art, I don't miss the point at all. I understand these dues....I just don't want to pay them. That's my point! You obviously love the car and are willing to make the sacrifice. That's great for you! Just not for me.

10. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    I respect people who buy what they want...not what other people think they need. This is not about the quality or the thrill of a ferrari. It's great! No one need be offended. It is about what ferrari dealerships require customers to do...either you are willing or not. Some people like to snowboard others ski. I was willing to do 4 years of medical school and 5 years of residency to be where I want to be. It doesn't mean I am any better or worse than anyone else. My choice. It was worth it to me. Some would argue that "paying the dues" is worth it for a ferrari...your choice.

11. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Well, I have a little bit of a cynical observation here: Do you REALLY think that if Jay wanted an Enzo he would actually have to "pay his dues" like some big fat lottery winner? Not me - not if his staff was any good at all, and they sure don't seem to have much trouble finding him a Duesenberg or a Stutz Bearcat when he wants one.

One other point - what if he just didn't want the "having the latest bling" label that comes with a new car - he could have his pick of some very exciting vintage examples. The history of vintage racing proves that many owners drive and enjoy these cars.

What I think we may be seeing here is that Jay is very receptive to his public image. Perhaps he wants to avoid the disconnect with the "ordinary guy" type of enthusiast...for sure he goes out of his way to celebrate the very unusual, and sometimes even the slightly questionable (like that twin turbo bentley or the tank rod, for example). There is something kind of ghetto hip about such things that no snobby old Ferrari can ever have (in his eyes at least, if I am reading this right).

And, maybe over time it (the Ferrari trashing) has sort of grown into a kind of comic schtick like Groucho's eyebrows. Kind of a Polar Opposite to Jerry Seinfield and his obsession with the Porsche 911 in fact.

I join Tifosi and others who say - look; you are hurting your own fun more than you are hurting Ferrari owners, with all due respect, Mr. Leno.

12. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Belongs to a staff member

13. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Nice shot!

14. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    It's interesting that this thread is now ninety posts long. More interesting, perhaps, is the degree to which certain posters are upset because a prominent collector (Jay Leno) doesn't own a Ferrari, and perhaps has no desire for one. And persish the thought, maybe he doesn't even really like Ferraris at all!

For those who have expressed this emotion, I offer the view that Ferrari doesn't need Jay Leno to validate the value or collectibility of this storied marque and that people who own one similarly don't need their decision to be validated by his purchase of a Ferrari.

To those of you who pretty much said "who cares what he owns," I concur.

15. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +100

Jay doesn't seem to need the ego zap that apparently goes with being able to choose a new Ferrari off the showroom floor...I'd say most of his cars are "used" anyway. There are enough "slightly-preowned" late model Ferraris out there; Jay wouldn't have any trouble picking one up, nor would anyone else with the cash.

I don't think Jay's efforts to maintain a populist persona for TV impacts his automotive decisions. Duesenbergs are still just as rare and desirable as ever, and affordable only for those that could pay cash for a 275 GTB. He's a very rich guy, and he doesn't hide it.

This is all the opinion of a vintage enthusiast (well, stretching that some now with my '83 308 ;)). That's where I think Jay's truly missing the boat--having the money to take his pick of the greatest road and racing cars ever built, and for whatever reason, not doing it.

But, each to his own.

16. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice

17. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Some people like Ferrari's and some people are souless zombies.

18. BorisSF

BorisSF Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2007
    Chicago
    I don't really think he is missing out on the Enzo driving experience, he does have a Mclaren...

Oh boy, Mclaren and Ferrari in the same sentence

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You're missing the point: I couldn't care less whether he likes or dislikes Ferraris. What I can't stand are the silly arguments he brings up for why he doesn't have a Ferrari. If he doesn't care for Ferrari, just say so and we're all done. But he doesn't do that and instead keeps bringing up the subject every so often.

It has nothing to do with validation of his collection nor validation of Ferraris as vehicles.

20. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    LOL

+1

Brilliant post!

21. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan

22. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey

After reading 89 posts, I can't believe that I missed the point/consensus of everyone in the thread.

Although I didn't single you out as the object of my post, I actually went back and re-read the first few posts you authored. Here are two things you wrote:

"Seriously it drives me crazy that a man who has that much money, loves cars that much and can actually drive doesn't have one of the best cars in the world. That's just plain stupid."

"Seriously, it drives me bonkers to think about it and I often have. I just don't understand it. Oh and yes, I'm a Leno fan. Apart from his illogical behavior towards Ferrari."

Your posts gave me the impression that you're a bit obsessed with Jay's choice to go through life without a Ferrari and it sounds like you're upset that he doesn't own one and has no valid reason for not buying one. Your posts (and those of many others) were interesting insights that gave me food for thought, which I put into words in post #90.

Peace.

23. mawu

mawu Karting

Jun 11, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin
    This could really lead us to an interesting theoretical discussion about phsychology and consumerism...

Ferrari is the most desireable make of our times (in the past there where others, like Bugatti). What are the true reasons for any single one of us to (more or less) want or possess these cars?

One of the several reasons for any single one of us is that it's the most desireable make of our times. Even though most of us probably don't want/buy it as a plain status symbol, we enjoy to have something exclusive, desireable, show off a bit, be part of the "family". It's simply part of the Ferrari package. If someone else doesn't care, you get annoyed – at least a little bit. Denying this is futile!!!! :)

Especially if you're a true fan, and tifosi12 seems to be as his name states, then you get "insulted" by the behaviour of Jay Leno. If you don't care so much, as some others do, you also don't care about Leno's behaviour. However, all of us reading the thread are at least curious... you know what I mean??? ;-)

24. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    You'd think a guy whoi owns all different makes would have a Ferrari,
    but what are you going to do . Look at Sienfeld, all Porsche, and he can
    also afford anything.

25. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    What is the deal here? Some of us prefer brunettes over blonds, some prefer red heads, some prefer punkrock girls with totally unnatural hir color. Jay prefers something other than a Ferrari. His toys are still pretty darn cool, just of a different taste. For those wondering why he does not just come out and say that Ferrari's are not his thing, he has in more ways than one.