The Official "Jay Leno Doesn't Like Ferraris" Thread | Page 26 | FerrariChat

The Official "Jay Leno Doesn't Like Ferraris" Thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ernie, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Touche. You're quite right, there are several points in this thread and your reply did fit an earlier topic. :)

2. RockaForte

RockaForte Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Porto
    Full Name:
    Pedro Mendes
    People that so anally "defend" Ferrari, and the seas of red/tan cars make me easily understand Jay's perspective

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Jay has a collection of cars that anybody would be envious of. He has the exotics, the hot rods, the bikes, the race cars, the one offs, etc.

He doesn't have a Ferrari, so what. There are other cars in this world that put Ferrari to shame performance wise, and he has them. He obviously can see that Ferrari is no longer what it used to be, and the the company as a whole has a reputation for treating its clients like crap through out the world. He also he seen the whoring out of the brand name, and now an amusement park being built around a company that markets hoopla. He just doesn't want to be associated with it end of story.

I'm sure if the company treated clients like Mr Lamborghini did, then it would be a different story all together.

Ferrari does have its special cars no doubt, but really who cares if he has one? Its his choice. He could go out and buy a 250gto if he really wanted one, smash it into a wall, light it on fire, then grind it up into a million pieces and make kitchen utensils out of it and sell them on e-bay. What business is it of yours? He would probably be banned from ever owning another Ferrari, and chastised by every Ferrari owner on the planet, but some how I think he would be fine with that, and so should you guys.

4. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    #629 TheBigEasy, Mar 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I think Leno likes Ferrari's. But from what I understand, he went into a dealer once and they wouldnt take him seriously. I could see that putting someone off of a brand.

6. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #631 robertgarven, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. mDrake

mDrake Karting

Jun 5, 2006
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mike

He certainly has enough money to be stubborn.

8. GTI WR6

GTI WR6 Karting

Jun 29, 2004
    Manchester
    Full Name:
    Tamzeed
    well said. I agree. at he least he has love for classic lambos :D

9. Michael W210

Michael W210 Rookie

Mar 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Michael Kasten

Yeah but in this situation, Jay can have the brunette, the blonde AND the redheads....

10. darthenzo

darthenzo Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2007
    Glendale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    James
    I was watching Modern Marvels on the History chanel about green energy and they did a segment on Leno's garage and that he has a wind turbine and solar panels. During the interview, he was standing next to a 308(possibly a 328)

11. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    . . .and I bet Jay Leno cares as much as I care what he owns. :)

12. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    That car was discussed in another thread - it is NOT LENO'S.

13. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've never seen a published estimate of Jay's net worth...anyone know or have a good guess?

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Forbes estimates $32mm/yr income...

15. mDrake

mDrake Karting

Jun 5, 2006
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Did a search and couldn't find anything regarding net worth. Forbes lists him at No. 23 among Top 100 celebs with an estimated annual salary of $32 mil. Not bad for a kid from upstate NY.

I don't understand why people are so hung up on the fact that he doesn't own Ferraris, i.e. this thread. People seem to think he's missing out. He's not missing out, he buys what he likes and prefers. Is it entirely implausible that he prefers other makes? Is Ferrari the "be all/end all" of sports car manufacturers? I don't own a Ferrari, so I can't say, but I'm amazed by the fact that people are so amazed by the fact that Jay doesn't own them. Never more has the phrase "to each his own" made more sense.

16. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I don't understand why people are so hung up on the fact that he doesn't own Ferraris, i.e. this thread. People seem to think he's missing out. He's not missing out, he buys what he likes and prefers. Is it entirely implausible that he prefers other makes? Is Ferrari the "be all/end all" of sports car manufacturers? I don't own a Ferrari, so I can't say, but I'm amazed by the fact that people are so amazed by the fact that Jay doesn't own them. Never more has the phrase "to each his own" made more sense.[/QUOTE]

I agree. So what if he doesn't own a Ferrari? It doesn't make me like him less.

17. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I recently met someone who spent a great deal of time working with Jay on one of his cars. He says that, according to Jay, he has yet to spend a single penny of his Tonight Show salary and supports himself entirely on stand-up.

18. mDrake

mDrake Karting

Jun 5, 2006
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mike
    True. He makes a couple million in supplemental income outside of his Tonight Show paycheck. My ex was a publicist for Daytime/Late Night TV at NBC and said Jay didn't spend his Tonight Show cash, he's "rich" without it.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #644 tifosi12, Aug 3, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
    There you go. You answered your own question.

Jay is missing out:

- A mechanical guy like him would love nothing more than tinker with the webers on a vintage Ferrari.
    - A guy who loves to run the Porsche CGT would love an Enzo too.

20. mDrake

mDrake Karting

Jun 5, 2006
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Tell Jay the same thing. Sorry but you're wrong. I also haven't tinkered with a Model T, but I'm sure there are guys that would tell me, and you, that we're all missing out. Again, to each his own. I want to own a Ferrari someday, more than any other car, but it isn't the same for all people. Jay isn't missing out on something that he doesn't want.

21. mDrake

mDrake Karting

Jun 5, 2006
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree with your statements. Especially the CGT/Enzo comparo. Didn't mean to sound agitated in my previous post. Simple fact: Jay don't want 'em. So why do WE care? I admit that I don't get Leno's dislike for Ferraris, but at the same time I don't give a sh**.

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #647 tifosi12, Aug 3, 2008
    Well, this is the part I'm not buying: That he doesn't want them. I think he does, but he is too stubborn to reverse his original decision, which was allegedly based on a dealer trying to pull a fast one on him. And by now it has become his "badge of honor". But I really think, deep down he would love to have a few in his collection. Just look at his happy pose with the GT4.

Why do we care? Well I can tell you why I care: He is a contributing writer in one of my fav car magazines "Octane". I love his column more than any of the other writers because he brings his humor to the writing (compared to the other guys who are very dry). I'd love to hear his stories about Ferraris etc. If he were on to Ferraris, I guarantee you there'd be some hilarious and outrageous stories to be heard. In that sense I'm missing out.

Given the stuff and pranks he is pulling out with his fire engine, the jet bike and the tank car (to name just a few), I can only imagine what he'd come up with Ferraris.

23. mDrake

mDrake Karting

Jun 5, 2006
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I get it. My ex used to work for Jay and I'd visit her at NBC and I loved nothing more than to visit her at work and watch Jay drive off in one of his amazing rides. Sadly, no Ferrari. He's a car guy, and I appreciate that. I love all "car guys." I grew up in Detroit and my dad was a plant manager (in Windsor, not Detroit, he commuted). I don't read Octane, didn't know Jay was a contributing writer. Sorry but I get annoyed when Ferrari owners are so adament about the the fact that non-Ferrari owners just "don't get it." I like to think that I "get it." Aside from that, I don't really care.

24. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    #649 Testacojones, Aug 3, 2008
    He is a tool when it comes to Ferraris. Maybe a girl left him for a guy with a Ferrari years ago.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #650 tifosi12, Aug 3, 2008
    I would find it equally strange if he'd have Ferraris in his collection and were anti Lambo, anti Jaguar, anti Porsche etc. If you're into cars, how can you deliberately leave out an entire brand that is so central to the top end of the car market?

If you have the means to buy any car you like and are an avid collector who covers all the amazing brands/cars, then it is just silly to deliberately and solely exclude one brand because a salesman was rude to you some years ago. Whether that's Ferrari or any other top notch car, doesn't matter.