The Shah of Iran Miura | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The Shah of Iran Miura

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Kds, Dec 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Please tell more of that story!

2. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #103 johnhoughtaling, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Although the engine looks good the the Wes Baldwin shoot, since that shoot, gary bobileff completely took the engine apart and did an mechanical and cosmetic restoration. Every nut and bolt on the engine and carb's sparkle
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Can anyone look at my post of the history documents and turn them into jpegs that we can post?

4. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #106 johnhoughtaling, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
    Page 9 of the SV manuel states "Maximum power 385 bhp at 7850 rpm" and States "maximum torque 40.7 mkg (294 ft. lbs) at 5750 rpm).

If you look at this bench test in 1971, the shah's car was tested to a max of 48 mkg, at 5000 and 47.8 at 5500 rpm!!!

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You'll note the car was ordered by him on the 23rd of March 1971.

It was completed on the 2nd of July 1971.

By the time it got to S.E.A Automobili in Rome, the men from the Iranian Embassy were waiting. The Shah was not too patient...

6. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Joe:

I guess I misread that I figured that March 23rd (listed on the bottom of page three) was the day the bench test was performed.

7. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #109 johnhoughtaling, Jan 8, 2009
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Oops, correct!

I have the order date somewhere and will post it when I dig it up... Feb '71 I think.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    No argument here. Feel free to grace us with more of the lovely Farrah.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ah, I think history can always be conveniently forgotten!

11. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Thats a gorgeous car. I'll have to keep an eye out for it if it gets driven.

I've seen your Lambo SUV, its pretty neat too.

12. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    #114 em42, Jan 9, 2009
    Very very interesting!

I also noticed on the build sheets of my Islero (6300) that the torque values were much higher than the standard: 45.4 mkg at 5000 rpm rather than 38.5 for a regular 400GT Islero.
    I assume that the factory fine tuned some engines for special customers: mine was ordered by Edmondo Lamborghini, Ferruccio's brother.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Yes, its well-known that the factory "tuned" engines for special customers. And one of those who did the tuning told me that the discretion was often up to the factory itself and the aforementioned tuning wasn't even requested by the VIP clients it question!

But it happened...

14. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    My QV runs also better than many diablos, for sure my Mimran-QV got some special treatment as well :)

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    100%

16. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    At the moment the gearbox will get a special treatment, it makes to much noise and there is something wrong with the shafts etc.

17. abolfaz

abolfaz Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    Coral Gables
    Fabulous car and great thread.

I have several employees that used to work for Cigarette Racing Team (Cigarette boats) who built a handful of 28' and 35' Cigarettes for the Shah. As soon as the boats were finished they were loaded onto awaiting planes at the Opa Locka airport and flown directly to Iran for the Shahs use. The first pair that left for Iran were loaded onto the plane full loaded with fuel, as the fuel tanks are vented to the atmosphere as soon as the plane approached cruising altitude the fuel in the tanks came pouring out of the fuel tank vents necessitating an emergency landing. Once the boats made it to Iran after a season of use the caretakers didn't understand the need to winterize the boats therefore causing the water in the raw water systems to freeze and crack the engine blocks, so back they came to Florida for refurbishment!

All the glamor, pomp and circumstance aside if your interested in what kind of power the Shah really had, take a look at a book called "All the Shah's Men". This gives you an idea of what was really going on from the time he came into power till the time he died and how we can trace the turmoil in the region today directly back to the events of the summer of 1953.

18. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Must have been one heck of a big airplane.

Pictures?

19. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Not only for VIP customers... it appears that each first model delivered to some export countries (including and confirmed for Belgium & France) were built with special engine "tuned" for their "local launch" and in order to impress all journalists while testing for their report & article. That includes the following models : 350 GT, 400 GT 2+2 and Islero GT. As a matter of fact, databuillt sheet of my Islero #6009 (which was the first delivered in France) confirms Ed's comment regarding his #6300.
    #6009 was test driven by many journalists as Paul Frere who confirmed it as well as José Rosinski, Etienne Cornil and Bernard Cahier.

20. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Mike,

You can thank Jimmy Carter, for not supporting the Shah.

Iran, wants to end American hegemony, throughout the Persian Gulf region. Every one dollar increase, in the price for a barrel of oil, over the course of a year, will net the mullah coffers an additional one billion dollars. It is in the interest of the mullahs, to drive up the price of oil by destabilizing the P.G. region.

21. abolfaz

abolfaz Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    Coral Gables
    The only thing I can thank Jimmy Carter for lately is buying a yacht from me in December (actually Jim Carter of Oklahoma who is Jimmy Carters nephew), otherwise I have nothing to thank ex president Carter for!

22. gutshot

gutshot Rookie

Dec 1, 2007

What's the color combo if I may ask?

Stunning car and great history, a true mark "supercar" if there ever was one.

The Miura

23. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    John,
    as you already shared so much info about #4870, will you be kind to let us know your Jarama VIN ????