This is the new California: The California T. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

This is the new California: The California T.

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by DriveAfterDark, Feb 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Oh, you can definitely post, even if you are a teenager with no car, and even when your posts are obviously tripe.

What I have an issue with is when people post with hidden agenda or when they make bold statements and have nothing to back them up with.

2. fsprow

fsprow Rookie

Oct 21, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Sprow
    Great engine but still a big butt.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    exactly. frankly, to all but us freaks it looks like the old one. it will sell well. it will perform well. i like it. but i would not shell out an extra 100k for one over the old one. and in 15 years the price delta will be about 20k max.

so if any of you are particularly interested in this model, do yourselves the favor and buy the first gen one and enjoy your flat(ter) depreciation curve.

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks Terry, you're right - but my point is that the Cali has to be wider and it really isn't much wider than the Spider. The height difference is actually 2.6" (tire diameter - Spider 25.3" vs. California 27.9"). I stand corrected.

Here's another concept - proportions, specifically length/width:

California ........2.398
    458 ............... 2.336
    Spider ............ 2.347

The California's length-vs.-width ratio is bigger, meaning that it is more rectangular, longer-looking if you may. While arizonaitalian's Spider is more like the 458, more squarish.

This is not a measure of whether longer is better-looking or worse-looking but it does point out that his perception that the California is "a bit broad hipped" is mistaken. It is actually more elongated by proportions.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #105 tazandjan, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    Ross- The same could be said of most Toyotas. But no doubt the new T will sell well. A definite improvement in looks and performance.

6. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    The soft top keeps the rain off me just as well as a hard top. As for cold weather I could see how a hard top would offer more insulation. We don't get much of that here. Right now we're at about 32 deg F with some rain and my soft top is fine.

7. chbit63

chbit63 Karting

Feb 11, 2013
    Is anybody @ tomorrow event in Modena?

I'll be there.

Keep in contact.

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #108 4th_gear, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think you read my post incorrectly I said "with the top-up" - I have to say some of the AMs and the Maserati coupe are more beautiful than the California (and sound great as well) but not when you put up the soft top.

And yes, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but a hardtop will look almost 100% a coupe while a soft-top is 100% not a coupe. :D

Have a look for yourself: GranCabriolet vs. F-Type vs. DB9 Volante vs. California
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. ferrarithijs

ferrarithijs Karting

Jan 6, 2012
    I prefer a soft top.

10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Looks marginally better than the old one, but am I missing something or Ferrari has not enough guts to release a sound clip yet? Normally that´s the first thing they put on the site, sometimes even before the pics.

11. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
  12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It was -20°C here today at 6 AM - that's -4°F.

Soft tops also have a finite life, you need to inspect it from time to time as it ages. Parking it under the hot sun is potentially detrimental as the UV light can degrade the weatherproofing in the fabric. If you park under a tree and you get bird poop or tree poop on your soft top, you'll have a real job getting it off.

Soft tops, depending on the colour, can also be difficult to keep clean-looking.

13. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    #113 TheBigEasy, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Don't forget this 2+2 for that list:

14. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Wow. What an interesting point!

15. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    What does any of that have to do with whether or not somebody thinks a car looks good or not? Unless Stevie Wonder is making comments on FChat, I don't see what owning a Ferrari has to do with having a viewpoint on its design.

This kinda stuff is very disappointing and something I had hoped to never hear on these pages.

16. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    They really nailed it with the 991 soft top. Executed very well.

17. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    You know, Frank, some guys really like that combination (lol).

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    just about any car for that matter.
    it will sell well. but i am just throwing out a word of caution for people who actually care about things like cost. forgive me for being jaded, but like you, i have seen a fair few of these 'revised' models over the years.

fwiw, and to address the other discussion on this thread, the folding metal top is the number one best feature of this car. it makes it truly useable year round and over multiple geographies. ferrari were wise to create it, keep it, and use it on the 458. and they would be super smart to use it on the f12.

19. Sir_Ferrari

Sir_Ferrari F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian B.
    The California T looks great! Well done FERRARI!

20. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    A hardtop will look almost 100% as a coupe, that can be. But a hardtop will not automatically look almost 100% as a beautiful coupe.

To your example, roof open or closed, regarding appearance/look, I prefer the GranCabrio, the AM and the F-Type in front of the California, sorry.

But please don't panic. If you ask me which of these four cars is over all considered the "best one", the "most desirable" car, I would say the California T. IMO the California T has become a very attractive package. Bravo Ferrari!

21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    …unless it's a troll. Definition of TROLL:
    Noun
    1 the action of trolling for fish.
    • a line or bait used in such fishing.
    2 informal Computing an e-mail message or posting on the Internet intended to provoke an indignant response in the reader.​

22. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Well for all the debates on soft or hard top, it is preference indeed, so no need to pronounce one as awful and the other the bees knees.

For myself, I love the 911 w/ the soft top. But if I am traveling for very long and the top goes up, I much prefer the Cali with the hard top. Much much quieter which on a trip is a big plus in my book. Around town, it isn't such a big deal.

23. D. Antonio

D. Antonio Karting

Dec 30, 2012
    San Antonio, TX
    An azzuro blue one with a silver roof and a full Cuoio interior would look mindblowing. This change may be small but it makes a big difference.

24. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    may I ask what is the appeal of a soft top roof? we already know the benefits of a hard top.

25. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    better face than the other one....