This is the new California: The California T. | Page 6 | FerrariChat

This is the new California: The California T.

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by DriveAfterDark, Feb 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Yes, there may be a troll here or there (usually easy to ID).

My post, OTOH, certainly was not.

I said that I liked the car. - we agree, its a cool car.
    You said that a hard top increases the DD utility of the car - we agree.
    I said the hardtop requires (or seems to anyways!) a hippier, and bigger butt - Many other car enthusiasts agree. (I don't know your position).

Fwiw - you are coming off WAY too defensive of the Cali. Let others' have their opinion. We are smart enough to weed out a troll's comments. We don't need you to protect us all from them.

Since you are clearly looking for compliments on this car you must love so much, I will finish with this - the pic on their official website of the car from "head on" is awesome. That front looks perfect to me.

2. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    It seems that the rear of the car can be made "slimmer" and less big butted. Though none of us are car engineers. Perhaps Ferrari did the big butt on the Cali on purpose?

3. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Back to the car...that is an astonishing amount of torque and a very interestingly high rpm to achieve peak torque. I am eager to hear and see how this engine performs. Flat plane turbo with (relatively) high rpm peaks for torque and hp...the future is here!

4. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Ligher weight, lower CG.

5. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    it was a general statement about the often inaccurate perceptions about a car one only reads about. everyone has a right to an opinion on whether a car looks good or not. once criticisms start flying about other characteristics of the car (not enough power, handles too soft, not a real ferrari, etc), then these armchair critics should be called out.

life is full of disappointment but I'm sure you'll be just fine.

6. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    what a great looking car...especially the wheels shown on the blue car from Ferrari.com

Stunning design, the cut outs in the center by where the lug nuts attach...really pretty.

7. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm not a fan of California models but..oh boy that looks very beautiful! Better that its predecessors.

In a way these beautiful lines reminds me the F12!

8. prd575

prd575 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 11, 2012
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Philippe Dorier
    Not really a new look but clearly a new engine. That torque is impressive!

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Less talking and more Cali T pics.

10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I like the new car . It is probably not a big enough transformation to make me sell my 2013 and buy a new one (which suits me fine) but definitely makes a big improvement on the rear end ... I am certain I will love the new car when I see in person .. all in all an excellent evolution..

11. california30

california30 Rookie

Sep 10, 2013
    #136 california30, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    Im heading out tomorrow to view the car and get a full run down, can't come quick enough. From what Ive seen so far it looks stunning, Ive never liked the rear of the Cali's nor did I ever think I'd own one!!!!!! Spend a week in one as the dealership done to me and was I converted. Love my Cali to bits. Yes I miss the two seaters with engines bolted to the chassis for the pure rawness of them but the Cali just has so much more to offer for me, soaked up 5000 miles on a Euro trip last year with ease, I just couldn't imagine a trip like that in 458 or 430. Never really got the debates on Cali vs 458, they are 2 cars designed for entirely different purposes the Cali as an awesome all rounder and the 458 as outstanding performance car.

With the new rear the car now totally ticks all my boxes and can't wait to get it in my stable.

12. california30

california30 Rookie

Sep 10, 2013
    In Ferrari's words: blistering pick-up and the most exhilarating soundtrack any turbo has ever yielded.

Not concerned about the Turbo at all, remember the first flappy paddles????? We didn't want them prefered the good old sticks, personally I don't like the old gated gearboxes anymore after going F1 I wouldn't have gone back, then came DCT and its on another level, think the turbo issue will be the same in the long term.

13. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    It's gorgeous, well done Maranello

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The LaFerrari has more than 900nm, thus much more than the Cali. Still not important though. The F12 is a much faster car due to its huge power advantage.

15. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    Only if you want the old model....and you would buy one of the only 6 or 8 made worldwide!

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Absolutely. The first Cali is a good looking car but I never had the "wow, thats gorgeous" reaction. This one elicits that reaction from me. I love it.

17. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The rear is much improved. I bet the turbo engine is a hoot to drive.
    The T should definitely result in some killer deals on early Californias.

18. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    +1

I'm always irritated by the influx of non-active memebers who suddenly become (armchair) experts on the subject that start posting all their *important* criticisms of the car. My god are we lucky to be in their presence when we can hear all about how bad the roof is and how horrible the engine is!

Nobody here has any business talking sh** about the handling or technical aspects of a car they have not driven, or even sat in. The exception is those who know people at the factory and can thus give us information on what to generally expect regarding a cars sound and perfomance based on the intel they may have received from test drivers etc.

Opinions on the facts we are presented are fine, such as the design of the car. But don't start posting idiotic remarks regarding something we do not know yet. That is a role reserved for the initial owners and those of us who will see the car in the next couple of weeks.

19. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Agree 100% - they manged to get the lines of the soft top to merge perfectly with the body. Pretty rare to see a car do that but it's made easier by the 911s sloping rear lines.

20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't see that with the 991 at all. Much prefer the coupe to the soft top.

21. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Any one know if the pillars and roof will be blacked out on all models, or is that just an extension of the current Cali's option list?

Thanks.

22. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I was expecting more hp.

Not the massive torque. I am stunned.

This will make a huge difference around town and at legal speeds.

People are going to love driving this car IMVHO.

23. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    Hey did anyone notice the new cupholder in the center stack? Lol... I think the new Cali is beautiful as well as the Old Cali. I wasnt too surprised that it weighs more than the Cali 30...usually a turbo will add weight.

I am still at Red 20 on the old Cali design and hope to take delivery on what will become the last of the old generation sometime in March. In my humble opinion, there will always be those that love a NA engine and that will help keep the value of a car that is no longer produced

I asked my wife what she thought of the two designs since she has no skin in the game other than a woman's opinion, she thought the designs are very similar, the new one a little more muscular. For us in the forum that study every detail, we notice all the things are different.

I look forward to hear from the folks that will see it in person in a few weeks in Geneva.

24. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Hahaha, I'm gonna upgrade sometime and then drive to New York with a Big Gulp firmly in place! :D

25. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    That ass though.