This new format sucks | FerrariChat

This new format sucks

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Eilig, Sep 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Obviously Fchat is now more focused on selling and displaying ads than it is about presenting content in a user-focused manner. I knew this was going to happen after Rob sold it.

of2worlds and nickg612 like this.
  2. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Certainly takes getting used to.

3. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Not a fan, ad's everywhere. I wont be paying for membership going forward, looks like they should have plenty of ad revenue.

4. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Its too cluttered.

Does anyone know how set the option so that the newest reply/post comes up in any thread when viewed. It was there on the old version but can't find a setting that i can change on this new one.

Ballnacht likes this.
  5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Not happy either.

6. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    just set it back to the old version on the bottom.. the older way was way easier to navigate

marko.urbac and nickg612 like this.
  7. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    The older version is NOT like the old version. Not even close. It's now all about the ads. Too bad, I used to really like Fchat.

jjmalez likes this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    1) Nothing is set in stone, we will reconfigure and make adjustments until we get it right.

2) I apologize we do have a bug where subscribed users seeing the "between posts" ads that they didn't at old site and shouldn't see now. This one will be fixed today.

3) We removed the top left 728x90 ad and replaced with the two 300x250 ads, so really not a big change in ad space.

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Folks - try to give it a little time. Changes and fixes where already taking place last night. I suspect many issues will be resolved in a few days. I highly suggest using the "old" theme. Yes, it's different but it's at least a way to slowly get used to this.

10. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Frankly, as it is, it sucks.

But if you can fix the pic posting caper (why should we send every pic to a third party website before being able to post here fullsize? It used to be easy but now we get a pathetic little thumbnail) and one or two other things like the avatars, less intrusive advertising etc. I might be able to get used to it.

Maybe. But as it is it's hard to know why anyone would pay to be a subscriber.

I hope the advertisers are taking note. Once you get to a point where the advertising becomes the main focus, people just get pissed off and there may be the reverse result to what the advertisers hoped.

jjmalez and Gh21631 like this.
  11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    My beef is with the page no longer being the full width of the screen like before on the classic format. Also the images were the fulllllll width of the page and not about 55%. Can't see that aspect as a new positive!
    My avatar now looks like a Bob Guccione picture...

bball16 likes this.
  12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #12 PhilNotHill, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Using "old" version. How can you tell if you have posted on a topic? Before the update there was a check mark. This made it easy to see if someone made a reply to your posting. Help.

How can you tell if there are pics and/or attachments on a topic?

Is there a forum or place where we can find these answers?

bball16 likes this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I see you can change the size of the picture by clicking on it. However that is not the same as loading a page and scrolling through a set of full size pictures on a page as was done in the past.

14. dolphins08430

dolphins08430 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2011
    Not a fan of the new style.

bball16 and of2worlds like this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sorry, even in old format this isn't good at all. On an iPad this is terrible guys. The right margin is huge and ad focused.
    I can't see paying again unless changes back are made.

Your DAU and TimeSpent metics are going to go down significantly.

Very disappointed. Will give you all time to correct of course.

Webby and bball16 like this.
  16. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Disappointing "upgrade" -- agree, on iPad it just hurts my eyes

bball16 likes this.
  17. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Same here. This new format looks really terrible :(

Finlander and bball16 like this.
  18. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    The bright white background causes significant eye strain. There should be more contrast between background and content, expand the readable section to a full screen especially for paid subscribers. I've designed numerous of my own websites for my business and wouldn't have something that is so difficult for the viewer to read (the case even in the older format version). The newer format version is even worse. Sorry Rob but it's true.

LamboLover, Webby and of2worlds like this.
  19. brobin

brobin Karting

Nov 4, 2015
    Philadelphia Area
    Like all thing new there are going to be issues. I expect the site will become more user friendly after it gets some use.

20. devendert

devendert Rookie

Sep 17, 2015
    I agree. Hope it gets improved

of2worlds likes this.
  21. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    lol....very predictable that many folks would bash something new less than 24 hours after it went live. Nobody likes change....( cars or otherwise ). If you can offer constructive criticism I'm sure tweaks will be made and it will be improved in the near future.
    Give it some time and most folks with an open mind will adapt.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no worries, part of the process, everyone hates changes. we'll keep working on it and key will be to see a trend towards more positive opinion in future.

23. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Absolutely hate the right column
    You should be able to tick it to collapse if you dont want to see it. I keep a very small window open on my desktop and now half of it is the right column loaded with stuff of no concern to me.
    Makes the real content hard to deal with.

I always use an adblocker of some kind so I dont see ads there anyway

24. ThePrince

ThePrince Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Canada
    I like it. The old site was good but looked dated, this looks modern and so far it's just as user friendly :)

redjeeper and rob lay like this.
  25. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    The bottom line is that this conversion was NOT done to enhance user experience. It's pretty obvious it was done to enhance advertisements. As will soon become apparent, you can have the best advertisement format in the world - but if all the users defect due to hating the revised format, the ads are all for naught because nobody will see them. There are so many things wrong with this format that I think it would be a complete waste of time to even itemize them.

A Ferrari chat forum running the format equivalent of a Chevy Volt. How lovely.

Finlander and of2worlds like this.