This new format sucks | Page 5 | FerrariChat

This new format sucks

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Eilig, Sep 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I just switched back to the "old" format. Quoted sections in the new are almost impossible to read. So small. So faint.

2. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm certainly open to a new format, but this one is visually unappealing. I don't like it and find I am spending less time on the site.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's hard to read, and hard on the eyes to look at. can barley read anything quoted, as color of the quoted section as only a couple of shades darker then the background.

I do like how the site works now, although refresh is a bit slow. Whatever, I'm sure it will get sorted..over all I would agree it's a good step forward, just a few bugs to work out..

4. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Rob Lay likes it that you aren't a subscriber? Really?

Hmm, I guess there isn't much point in renewing my subscription if the ads are still popping up (despite what Rob says).

5. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    This new format is terrible. Really used to love getting on Ferrari Chat on a daily basis. I'm not really interested as it stands now. Won't be joining again.

6. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    It's definitely a cleaner and more modern look. Unfortunately, it just doesn't work. I won't continue to use the site if something doesn't change.

7. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Avatars have been destroyed, printovers in the headings, wasted space all over the place, hard to find the Private Message boards (yes, I eventually found them, but why make it harder to do so?), the "classic view" is NOT the original view, search functions hard to find, and if posting photos is now going to be more complicated (someone just posted that you now have to go through a 3rd party) why bother?

And, why continue to subscribe? Rossa subscribed now, but not likely in the future, unless this mess is straightened out. Interesting that the defenders seem to primarily be those that like it because what they are seeing is free, along with those that are moderators or former moderators. A lot of subscribers don't seem to like it very much.

jm2 likes this.
  8. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    +100

jm2 likes this.
  9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Yeah, I will when traveling later this week. The "old style" blue is working for my eyes at this point. The "alerts" are cool and I'm using them constantly. There is still too much "space" everywhere and the 50 post/page means I have to scroll tons more than before to reach the "new content" on a page when revisiting a thread to see what's new since I was last there. I bet there is a more efficient way to do that, but I don't know how...

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    It took a lot of time and effort for Rob to get the last, familiar iteration of FerrariChat to function like it did. And it was ongoing, without support from vB for the last few years.

Still, there's roughly the same amount of complaining there was on the last changeover.

And that was with a much, much smaller Membership coming from a site which had a markedly different look and feel. Can't imagine having to fix every single Join Date now.

Took a helluva lot longer to get pix to work back then, though. This far in, and the scene was ugly.

And the list goes on.

There's a long list of fixes IT will see today, as they return from their weekends off.

Patience . . .

11. jdmwerks

jdmwerks Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    won't be coming here as much as I used to thats for sure. Why change something that wasn't broken?

MuratC likes this.
  12. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    When you switch back to the old version, can anyone tell me how to eliminate the "new posts" box? It takes up ~ 1/5 of the screen

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    listed bug. new style has a collapse, but not sure about old style, going away anyway.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we have addressed that.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    It's safe to assume it's been a long time since a TV repairman knocked on any of our doors after being called from a rotary phone to replace tubes in an hour.

vBulletin = Broken Tube TV, which took not an hour, day or week, but years for vBulletin versions to get many functions working. IF so.

Each release has had hundreds of bug fixes. Some of which never were fixed, and won't be until next release, which will also create bugs where none existed before or prior bugs were awakened from fitful slumber.

So, at what point should software be replaced?

Pots and pans? Toaster oven? Refrigerator? Stove? House? Cars? Girlfriends? Wife/Dishwasher? Phone/Tablet/PC? Levi's? Ties Ecclestone? Todt? After Rob gets an ulcer?

When does one switch to new, supported, reliable anything?

17. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Why do people's names not appear any more?

18. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Add that to the list of things lost when converting to this new format.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    they do, just different place.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    wrong

22. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Using the "new" look, they appear, using the old, they do not -- at least not on an ipad.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    correct, mobile responsive design will not display everything that the desktop does. over time if there is stuff we remove for mobile that is required, we can add it back.

24. wjw300tt

wjw300tt Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    chilliwack BC Canada
    Agree except I have this 4 inch wide white margin on the right hand side. Any way to stretch the forum so it takes up the whole screen?

25. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Rob, I hate the change.

Have gone back to what there is of the "sort of old style" though it really isn't the same old style, and is not as easy to use. New site also caused some eye discomfort. Color choices not the best. The look on both the "sort of old style" and the new are MUCH too cluttered overall, which is generally a bad thing with most types of designs, whether it is a house, a dashboard, or a web site and forum. Simple is most often better. The changes are bothersome. I do not agree that this is a "net improvement."

Hopefully you will be able to fix many of the new technical glitches, and maybe clean up the design, and make it easier to view and use again.....

Though I go to this site often for a quick look, some to read, and to post sometimes.... I really do not have a lot of time, and with the "new" designs..... it wastes too much of my time; sadly I will now be limiting more of my time with this site. The more cluttered and difficult any site is to use, then the less time spend on it or going to it. VERY disappointed.