This new format sucks | Page 6 | FerrariChat

This new format sucks

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Eilig, Sep 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Rob, I don't see the name on a desktop browser using the old look, either, FWIW. Safari and Chrome.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    it is on the new style, should be a bug for old style desktop.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we have started development on two additional styles, they will be based on the new one, but one will have soft colors like the old forum (blue/grey) and then a black/grey background one.

Melvok likes this.
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that listed to be fixed like the new style was.

5. Cyrek

Cyrek Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    I can't see anything even with my readers I'm heading to Rennlist. I hope this is fixed I'll check back.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Excellent! Thanks for being very receptive to feedback. This site is definitely going in the right direction.

7. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Excellent! Thanks Rob!

rob lay likes this.
  8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i think the awful format speaks for itself :)

9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    to be helpful though - icon pics are too small as is other user info, pages are longer meaning you have to scroll all the way down to post, pictures seem to not load as well or are smaller, harder to navigate posts, additional states on posting not that helpful,

10. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Curious to see the next newsletter and see how many posts and threads of dropped off.
    I was logging on 5,6,7 times a day. I think I just logged on 4 times since the new inception.
    I can be bothered trying to figure all the new quirks. Reminds me of when Coke went to the "new formula" no logic at all.
    This was a great site prior.

11. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    This is my only complaint really as well. It's like a white/grey blob. Changing it over to the "Old" style per Rob's post, everything looks a lot nicer & easier on the eyes to navigate.

I will keep an eye out for changes/updates made to the new style, though. It's a nice start, just needs refinement which is fine. :)

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    And I'm not a fan of Old Style. Even If I am from Chicago.

Go Cubs!

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Jesus, what a ****ing mess...

Why change a format that has been working perfectly for the last 15+ years? I just don't get websites that constantly wanna "fix" something which isn't broken. Reminds me when I sold one of my forum websites and the new owner came in an immediately changed everything possible - then a few months later, they emailed me privately asking why all the members left and if I had any ideas as to how to get the users back. I told him put the site back to how it was, but by then it was too late. Traffic sank like a rock and who knows what happened after that; I think the domain was sold, but not sure.

I'm not saying that same thing will ultimately happen with Ferrarichat, but certainly off to an excellent start from what I can see.

Mark me down for missing the old Ferrarichat.

Ray

16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Format is terrible. Biggest complaint is can't see last post and have to scroll pages to get to the last post.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    One of this cloud's silver linings is that the site seems to work really well with the screen 'pinched' wider, where many sites don't. If you pinch it out a bit you can easily get rid of all the empty margins and make the font size and everything bigger. It's easy enough to do, although it is an extra step. But I'm finding it's the only way I can comfortably use the site. Even then, I'm still on the new old style. The new new style is just awful.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Anyone know how to delete PMs (now called conversations)?? I can select them, but there is no delete button or trashcan icon.

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Not yet ...

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we had the same software and design for 15 years. it hadn't been supported for 10+ years. if you are such an expert, what do you think about relying on 10+ year software as server side software constantly upgrades, browsers upgrade, and 60% of our traffic now is mobile. what is it with Ferrari enthusiasts being all knowing and experts at everything? :D

of2worlds likes this.
  21. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    ugh... dismal... especially for a creature of habit like me ;)

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Checked back in to see Rob's responses and any fixes.
    Appreciate the effort Rob, I know you didnt do this to **** anyone over so I'll give you a break.

Keep working at it.

(I bet I've spent 95% less time on Fchat since the change though).

23. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Rob- appreciate that you are working to resolve issues, just 2 things to point out

1-if 60% of traffic is mobile now you are loosing this user base quickly rolling out something that initially is more suitable to desktop

2- I know you must be under a lot if pressure but your responses are very defensive and in some cases borderline rude, I would have expected more from the site owner, maybe role modelling better tone.

The F Chat users are actually your customers and experts in end user experience - may be worth bearing that in mind.

Regards

Michael

24. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The current "new" version is a lot better than the initial one.

But I'm struggling to see why anyone would pay money to continue to subscribe.
    What real benefit is there?

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we are focusing on the desktop software first because that's what most of legacy users are on and we don't have a desktop and mobile version, it is more the desktop is mobile responsive. meaning, bugs we are working on desktop now also carry over to the mobile. we do want to get the mobile right in time, because that will be the potential for new growth and more traffic.

I see you have only been a user since September of last year, you don't know me at all or how I run FerrariChat. FerrariChat is very often brought up as the best run and moderated automotive forum and that isn't by accident. Cars guys and especially diverse Ferrari enthusiasts we have 180k users and many are bad apples have malicious intent participating on FerrariChat or they are simply *******s. It works best for us to not be pushed around. I will always be tough on *******s and trolls. Our good users aren't the ones posting comments "this sucks" and "I'm leaving" without providing more descriptive and beneficial feedback. Out of the feedback we do get much of it is good and we document it in the master bugs thread. However, we also get many armchair quarterbacks that think their business, internet, forum, and testing experience makes them all knowing and the absolute expert what is truth and appropriate for FerrariChat.

If you need your ass kicked, I kick it. I'm not going to be pushed around or let unnecessary distractions to the good work we're trying to do here for the good community.

francisn likes this.