Total Ankle Replacement? | FerrariChat

Total Ankle Replacement?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Alpintourer, Jan 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Anyone had one (or since this is F-Chat, do these)? I'm scheduled for one end of February at Duke. I would be interested in hearing about other's experiences. Pre-surgery exercises/prep? Pain Management? Recovery time? Getting around while non-weight bearing: Knee scooter; crutches; other? Other thoughts or "wish I had..."?

Here's the procedure I'm looking at:

Note: no sound:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjquNnCPj2IThanks!

Thanks!

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I didn't have an ankle replacement but I broke my ankle in 3 places in January 2013. Incidentally I broke it during an obstacle course run, so I considered myself very fit at the time.

I was in the hospital about a week. Of course I needed 3 days of medication and ice to reduce swelling. I had the surgery and was out the next day.

It was pretty painful until I had the surgery and was in the cast. I had a cast up to the knee. Once I was casted there was little pain (other than the itching!) and so I got off the painkillers ASAP. I had an appointment at the surgeon's office about every other week when the cast would come off and he would look at things. The technician would clean my leg and put a new cast on. I guess I went through 4 or 5 casts, I always chose a different color.

All the time I had the cast on I opted for a wheelchair and crutches. The chair was a good way to get around in the home but it was a major pain to go out. For short trips out (like to lunch) I used crutches. But mostly I used the chair. I can tell you it was a loooooooooong 6 weeks.

After the hard cast I went into an air cast. I kept the chair for this but mostly used the crutches. I was far more mobile at this time for a few reasons. The air cast was lighter. Plus I could take it off for sleep so I slept a lot better. The hard cast was difficult to sleep in for a variety of reasons. I eventually stopped using the chair and sent it back at this time.

Beginning to walk again was a process. I limped for a long time. I also had a follow up surgery at this stage, around May. One screw bothered me so he removed it and he did something else to remove scar tissue.

Once I healed from the second surgery I started rehab. My leg was noticeably smaller than the other and 6 weeks of rehab really helped bulk it up. It also helped with range of motion and flexibility although I still had a slight limp.

By December I could walk at a normal pace. The limp was almost gone and my leg was almost back to normal. I could feel some of the hardware in my leg so I opted to have it removed at this time. I think I am in the minority on this but the surgeon did it anyway.

By February 2014 I was running a little bit. Progress was slow though, I might have swelling or pain at times. By October I was back to "normal" and ran a 10-miler and did ok.

Long term I've lost some flexibility and also some balance but overall the ankle is as good as new.

A few tips. Make sure you have a shower with a hose and a shower chair. I got these and they helped a lot. At first I used a pee bottle quite a bit since it was a pain to get up in the middle of the night to pee. So make sure you get one. Also, they will give you way more pain meds than you need. They gave me oxys and I hated them. The side effects simply weren't worth it. After the second surgery I requested a different painkiller and they gave me Vicodin. I did a lot better on these and really only needed them for a day or two. I think I have a bunch in the medicine cabinet still.

Drink a lot before and during recovery. I think staying hydrated helps a lot. And if you're on any kind of painkiller you're constantly thirsty anyway.

Good luck and keep us posted.

3. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Dave, ankle replacement surgery has come a long way over the past few decades. Wrights system appears to be a good one from what I've seen. I assume your ankle joint is so far gone that other alternative surgeries or treatment wouldn't be beneficial. Duke is a good center as I'm sure your surgeon there has a lot of experience putting them in. Key afterwards is to get rehab ASAP as periods of inactivity or immobilization can lead to other complications. Your surgeon will go over them if he hasn't already done so. Good luck and best of health to you.

Best,
    Tom

nomedigas likes this.
  4. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I would also ask if the procedure can be performed under spinal/epidural or if you have to go to sleep include a nerve block. This has been shown to reduce pain not only in the short term but also from the chronic perspective. Do insist on multimodal pain therapy including COX2 inhibitors and meds like Lyrica/gabapentin. I am guessing Duke has an acute pain service to handle this-but definitely ask and insist on it.

5. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Had the Total Ankle performed Thursday by Dr. James DeOrio at Duke. Each of the F-Chat respondent's suggestions were super useful. I got multi-modal pain relief and have two nerve blocks in that should get me through the weekend.

Interesting that the CEO of Wright attended my surgery (with my permission) to see some of their products being installed. I had a great experience at Duke; everyone is on the ball and attentive to your needs. Its a culture that is not seen very often. From check-in to roll out I probably interacted with 30 staff people.

My only complaint was the food. Bland (yeah, low salt rules) but plentiful and of course I was starving. Home now and enjoying the pot luck dinners from neighbors. Again, thanks to the "brain trust" here on F-Chat.

nomedigas likes this.
  6. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Good to hear Dave. Good luck with your recovery.

In my experience the nerve block unfortunately wears off pretty fast, after a day or two.

Are you home now?

7. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Yes, home now and looking forward to hours of reading some of the longer F-Chat threads.

8. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    #8 Alpintourer, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just back from Duke and I'm on plan. They removed the cast and stitches and gave me some range of motion exercises to do. Still no weight bearing for three more weeks but I can rest my foot on the ground when sitting. I have a removable boot so I can sleep more comfortably. I saw the post op X-rays. The surgeon did a slight modification by using two different prosthetics from the same manufacturer (Wright). Because I had a lot of bone on bone wear he used an Inbone® on my talus (foot) as it requires less removal of the dome; I have an Infinity® at my tibia. Of course they interface with a nylon knuckle providing joint flexibility. He also added a wedge/spacer at the front of my foot to realign my toes so they sit flat on the ground. I had such pronation that by straightening my ankle my toes would have been angled upwards. It was nice to see my ankle looking normal again.

Interesting observation: My initial X-rays showed a pair of fractures in my lower leg that did not heal in the correct alignment. That was a 180º break (Potts fracture) I did ski racing in High School. That is probably what started my 50 year downward spiral of deterioration of my right ankle.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

nomedigas likes this.
  9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Amazing stuff, thanks for sharing. And I wish you a quick recovery.

10. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    #10 Alpintourer, May 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I has been 100% non-weight bearing to this point, so when the doctor said "walk" I thought he was kidding. Fortunately I had brought some crutches so I was able to take a few steps under his observation. I was freaking out, thinking it was too fragile but he said "you'll be walking in a week"! Well, that didn't happen.

At 10 weeks I felt my incision had healed enough not to gross anyone out so you can see the before/after pix of how crooked (dogleg) I was and how straight he made it. I'm still red and swollen but you can see how successful the surgery was. I am driving the Ferrari but cautious about panic braking.

Yesterday was my 12 week appointment. I'm down to just a cane and able to walk a mile or so w/o too much fatigue. Driving to 5 hours to Duke was a bit harder. Even with cruise control there was enough traffic to keep me active between throttle and brake. He said I'm trying too hard (walking); just let Mother Nature heal it. So, keeping it elevated not aggravated. Oh, and keeping the heel stretched helps a lot. Next checkup at 6 months.

Bas and nomedigas like this.
  11. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Looks good! Hope your recovery goes well...I have had many surgeries and my leg, ankle, knee surgeries have been tough to get through, worse then arms and elbows...

nomedigas likes this.
  12. nomedigas

nomedigas Rookie

Jul 6, 2021
    Washington DC Metro
    Full Name:
    Kristina Conti
    #12 nomedigas, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2021
    Hi! Great post and congrats! May I ask who your surgeon was at Duke? I realize it's been forever but my mom has had not one, but two failed TARs - in 2012 - STAR and 2015 - INBONE. We're in the DC Metro area. Thx in advance for any info you can provide and stay healthy!!

I'm sure it has. My mom has had two failed ones that have both shifted (loosened) not even 2 years later - STAR in 2012 and INBONE in 2015. :/

WOW - that's awesome. That's the doc we should have seen.... :/

13. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Dr Robert Mills at Holy Cross in Ft Lauderdale. He's the ankle guy for all the South FL sports teams.

https://www.holy-cross.com/provider/robert-h-mills-md-orthopedic-surgery

14. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I had my 5 year checkup earlier this year with Dr. DeOrio at Duke and everything is staying together nicely. He said I could extend my next follow up to 3 years.

Graz likes this.
  15. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    ((Interesting that the CEO of Wright attended my surgery (with my permission) to see some of their products being installed...)))

You get a deal on the hardware?

Recover quickly and well...