Transmission noise? | FerrariChat

Transmission noise?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by not4one, Jun 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    #1 not4one, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
    Anyone have a problem with a strange transmission noise when slowing down and coming to a stop in automatic mode. Sounds like something slipping/vibrating (though no actual vibration felt)...loud enough that it immediately catches your attention. At first I ignored it thinking it was a normal downshifting/calibration type noise; but now happening more frequently. Planning on taking it in to be investigated; just hoping I can replicate it. Anyone else have experience with this or know the exact cause is?

2. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I had it on my car. It sounded terrible on downshifts in auto, almost like the gears were grinding into each other, but went away if I put it into manual mode. It was traced to a software issue. The software was reflashed for an update and since then I've had no issues.

3. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Sounds like exactly the same issue; thx for the advice.

4. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    What year/delivery month are these two Cali's? No issue with mine, just checking to see if the newer car owners don't need to think on it.

Rick

5. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Mine's an early 2010 model; build date is August 2009.

6. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    My car is a November '09.

7. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I have had a couple of small glitches, which I dismissed. One time I did not get the gear # in the window. Yesterday, I was in 2nd and when I hit the gas, it revved but did not engage.
    I upshifted and then it kicked in. I may ask them to do that reflash software upgrade.

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Not4One and ISUK ... did it work OK if you were in manual mode and let it automatically downshift as you slowed down? Just curious as I am not having the problem.

9. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    From memory the noise only happened in auto mode and even then it happened only intermittently. The feedback I got from Ferrari's Technical Manager for the UK was that the issue wasn't anything mechanical but was caused by resonance from the hydraulic pump that actuates the clutches.

You'd soon know if your car was affected because as not4one said the noise is loud. As far as I'm aware mine was the only car in the UK to have suffered the fault at that point.

10. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Exactly the same as isuk mentions...intermittent and in Auto mode (usually in Comfort).

11. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    I had the same thing happen as well. I thought it sounded like the ABS was activating only louder but without the vibration associated with it.

12. F50CHAP

F50CHAP Karting

Nov 20, 2007
    uk
    Full Name:
    matt
    Mines got that noise too - thanks for the pointers.

13. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Just rechecked the info I got back about this fault. It was the fluid flow that was setting up a resonance within the gearbox apparently.

14. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    I made the service appointment yesterday...did it on-line copying your previous description; they emailed back almost immediately and seem to know exactly what the problem is. I'll share the fluid flow info with them as well. Many thanks. It's not going in for service until July 5, but I'll let eveyone know if I get more details.

They also say they will do the magnaride software update that I had read about on another thread.

15. California987

California987 Karting

Jun 27, 2010
    Hi guys, i too get that "gears grinding into each other" sound, happens in Auto mode when slowing down and taking off from a start, really annoying sound, i just want to make sure if it's ok to drive around with that fault or is it important to check it in for a service cuz it sure as hell looks like i'm destroying my transmission or whatever is making that awful sound, Hope it's a minor fault that can be ignored..

16. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I was told it's safe to drive and won't cause any damage. Just call your dealer though to make sure their advice is the same. If you hear it in auto as you slow down just flip the left padle to shift down yourself and it will stop the noise immediately. The software reflash will cure it for you if you can get it in to your dealer.

17. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    I have not suffered any ill effects to this point.

18. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    if you hear something that sounds like a metallic can bouncing around inside another larger metallic can, take it to the dealer asap.

19. 612scag

612scag Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2010
    Hawkeye, is this the same problem as described above which can be cured by a software flash or is this a different problem?
    612scag

20. California987

California987 Karting

Jun 27, 2010
    No it's nothing like that, it's kind of hard to describe.. it feels like the metals are rubbing against each other harshly, i have no idea where that sound is coming from, might be the transmission or brakes who knows, i took the car to the dealer the other day and of course like always i couldn't replicate the sound when driving around with one of the engineers sitting next to me because it doesn't happen very often, so they did a full check up and they said everything looks fine.

21. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    What you describe is the gearbox resonance problem. It is only intermittent so can prove tricky to diagnose for a tech if they fail to hear it on a road test. Ask your dealer to speak to Ferrari as it is a known issue and the software reflash fixes it.

22. California987

California987 Karting

Jun 27, 2010
    Will do, many thanks.

23. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Don't think it's the same problem.

good news in the end. I had a complete gearbox failure in my California and they had to swap the entire unit, which they did in a matter of days. Ferrari and the dealer were top notch in this respect. I was driving at about 55-60MPH and all of a sudden my gear indicator was flashing Neutral "N" and I was stuck on highway. All was resolved quickly and professionally.

24. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Getting car back from dealer this afternoon...they say they've fixed transmission noise and updated magnaride software. Over weekend I'll report on their explanation of the trans fix and the results of the magan update.

25. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    FYI when you are at a stop, and the transmission is in creep mode after a few seconds it reverts to non-creep and you can hear and sometimes feel a vibration for a few seconds.