Trouble with Diablo alarm system | FerrariChat

Trouble with Diablo alarm system

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Champboat/Champcar, Jun 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    #1 Champboat/Champcar, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    I thought I had fixed or disconnected my alarm on my 98 SV, but no its still working, it disables the starter and has a ignition interupt too , I found some alarm wires hooked into the wheel well , also 1 wire hooked into the blue wire on the ignition switch, and a wire hooked into the white plastic multi wire hookup, then the car started , but now the alarm is working still , I am sure I am missing something like a module or something alarm related, The remote is a MED , it seems to activate and disactivate with different chirps,but the car will not crank , + when the door is open the light on the dash for the alarm flashes 3 times , sometimes the car will crank and start when the light does the 3 flash thing, So I will dig deeper into the harness and under the dash to find out what could be interupting the ignition switch, Does anybody have any ideas of what more or where I should be looking ? Tonight I will let the alarm sound off + find the sirien , maybe that will lead me to the brain.any help or ideas or thoughts would be helpful , Thanks

2. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I can't exactly figure out what you are saying, but I know how to re-set your MED alarm, so that it does not set itself everytime (so you can't start the car without pushing the remote button).

3. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    What I am trying to say is that the alarm chirps and sets, door locks, then I can hit the remote and the doors unlock and it chirps but it does not crank, sometimes when I hit the remote it only flashes the alarm light 3 times , and sometimes when the little light flashes the 3 times the car will crank and start. any info on the MED alarm , reseting it or anything else I am all ears , Thanks Jeff.

4. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    I should have stated in my first post that i am trying to disconnect the alarm completely, sometimes alarms are wacky , reseting it might be good .

5. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    The med alarm module is in the center console. Its nicely intergated with a bunch of things and I don't think there should be much reason to remove it.

Further, I thought the alarm was tied to the fuel cutoff and nothing to do with the starter motor. And I thought you already had the engine running???

-mick

6. sabregl

sabregl Rookie

Mar 2, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    AZLambo
    I would like reset my MED alarm so I don't have to keep pushing the button upon starting but I do not have an owners manual. Is this a simple procedure that you could share with us so we can make the change?
    Thanks.
    Gregg

7. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I investigated this thing a long time, and contacted MED alarms and Lamborghini, before finding out that the MED alarm manual had a mis-print on the number of times you had to
    turn the key on and off to get into the "programmer" mode.

Here is a link to the MED alarm manual. Remember, there is a misprint in it! Keep reading
    below.

http://www.medautomotive.it/univ/uploads/M...ONAMENTO_EN.pdf

Here is the link to my post from ***********, a long time ago on the subject:

http://www.**********.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39352&hl=

Basically, here is what you need to do: You have to turn the key on-off 10 times to get into the "installer programming mode". Then, push the remote button 17 times, to make the "immobilizer" only active when you lock the doors and set the alarm, and de-active when you press the remote again to unlock the doors and de-activate the alarm.

A lot of Diablo owners seem to have the "automatic re-set mode" where you have to push the remote button a second time, after unlocking the doors and de-activating the alarm, and entering the car, in order to start the car.....which was a PITA.

According to the instruction manual, European cars HAD to have the "automatic immobilizer setting" because of some directive. Maybe a lot of U.S. cars got the European setting by mistake.

8. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    ...................................................... You could be right , it might have a fuel cut off in there, I have run the car a few times, its up on blocks , it seems that sometimes its fires right off , then the motor turns off with a alarm beeping , then it will not turn over with the starter, after a few times hitting the remote it does the same thing. I think the alarm is messed up , I want to disconnect it or By pass it , Last week I ran it a few times before it acts up , I thought I dis connected it but it was the K40 , I disconnected I think .

9. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    ................................................................................that is very interesting, I will see if that helps me, I can hit the remote a second time after unlocking the doors and still nothing , But its definitely worth a try . Thanks .

10. sabregl

sabregl Rookie

Mar 2, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thank you for your great instructions! I went out to the car and in less than a minute the "problem" was solved.

11. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    The K40 is self contained and normally has a 3 position rotorary switch (mounted under the driver dash) that can turn the whole the whole thing off. Regardless, there is no feedback from the K40 back to the car so thats a red herring at best.

So let me get clear on the med situation, you clearly turn the alarm off (no question?) and at some point working with the engine, the main alarm siren sounds off?

-mick

12. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    The K40 is now completely removed, it had no relationship to my problem , it was in my way of seeing under the dash , it was a bunch of spaghetti , Heres what happens , I connect the battery and go to start the car, I turn the key on and the dash lights go on , you hear noises + stuff in the back but turn the key to the start position and nothing, hit the remote and the door locks and the alarm chirps, hit the key to start + nothing , hit the remote again and nothing , open the door and hit the remote + it flashes the light 3 times ( it does not flash 3 times when the door is closed ) Go to start it + nothing no crank , hit the remote a few times then out of the blue it cranks and fire off, a few minutes later , sometimes less than a minute you hear a beeping + then the motor cuts off, sometimes then the door locks start locking and unlocking numerous times, I go to restart it and no cranking, , Last night it started right up first try , not hitting the remote at all, then again after a few , I hear a beeping then it cuts off , try to restart it + no cranking. I found the brain under the right side of the center console. Can I disconnect it? Its driving me crazy , I never had alarms in any of my cars but I did have a motorcycle with a alarm that did something similar, it left me stranded in Brooklyn, A local guy helped me disconnect it. Thats why I think its alarm related, I could be wrong, another reason I think the MED is screwed up is because it sometimes locks and unlocks the doors like 5 times in a row by itself with 1 hit on the remote.Please tell me I can bypass or disconnect it , I really want to drive this car , I ran it through the gears on blocks before it cut off, it was smooth .

13. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    I pulled apart the center console and was able to yank out the black Med box to the side to look at it , besides the sirien and the led wires it has a white plug in harness it has like 16 wires going into it , I also took apart the passenger side foot rest to access the fuse panel under it , very strange when I pulled the 2 alarm fuses out, The car would crank but not fire up , later I could not duplicate this because I pulled them out later in the evening and it would not crank, I see to the right of the fuse panel and to the right of the relays there is a plug in connector with blue and red wires , they are heavy wires which I think go to the starter, If I cannot dissconnect the MED box perhaps I could jump the fuel pump wires and tap into the starter wires at the foot rest. I am almost convinced the MED box is bad because the alarm is doing different things, it starts right up then cuts out in usally 2 minutes, sometimes it runs longer, take out the alarm fuses sometimes it cranks, When I get no power to the starter I keep hitting the remote and then it cranks and starts, but will not run for a long time, I wonder if MED makes a connector that I can plug into the harness after I unplug it from the box to overide the system ?

14. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    Well I removed the electric MED fuel shut off soleniods that are on top of the tank, With a little luck after I get some bypass fittings I should be ready for a test drive, but there are some more Alarm issues I am Dealing with , Solving one problem at a time is the route I am takeing.

15. sabregl

sabregl Rookie

Mar 2, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Good luck and hopefully the worst is behind you. Also, thank you for the updates. It's projects like these that become such valuable information and as always it's appreciated by all of us members.

16. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    Your Welcome, the shut off valves I have learned are sometimes problems , whether its alarm related or corrosion, or both , + can get stuck closed, or half way closed, So I removed them, they were stuck closed, I could not blow through them, but about a hour later I could blow trough one of them a little. So something not right is going on there .

17. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    Oh Yeah , got to drive the SV tonight , ,trouble with the alarm before ,, scratching my head for weeks, So I sent my med box and remotes to Driven Exotics for Steve to check them out , he did some programing + sent them back the next day and VrRoom , the car fires up , Oh yeah that sound , its wicked , Took it out tonight , just down the block , ( I do not have the taillights in yet ) What a car the Diablo SV , the thing is peppy , you can tell without going for it , Gotta tell you , Steve has extreme Lamborghini knowledge, the guy knows his stuff. for me body work on Sunday weather permitting .

18. 1990ruf

1990ruf Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    Naples FLorida
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I lost the FOB for my 1998 Diablo. I still have the spare key. Anyway to start the car? Thanks. in advance....

19. Champboat/Champcar

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    Driven exotics might be able to help you with that