Turn indicator failing | FerrariChat

Turn indicator failing

Discussion in '206/246' started by need4speed, Sep 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    My right turn indicator is failing. Functions maybe 10% of the time. And getting worse. The left side is fine. Is it the switch, or the flasher unit or something else?

Thanks for any advice,

Manny

2. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It could be electrical or mechanical-cracked or loose shaft in the plastic pivot casting. Take a good look where the shaft enters the plastic casting and notice if there are any cracks. Also, then you move the switch up or down, how does it feel-tight or loose. Does the switch make a definite stop at the end or does it sort of stop and then go a bit farther and feel sloppy?

If you need a new pivot end cast contact Verell at unobtainiumsupply.com

3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Please send me a "conversation" and I certaily can be of help if your switch is an a/b/c/ version.

Regards, Alberto

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The flasher is common to both directions, so unlikely to be the problem.
    I don't have a Dino wiring diagram, but if it is like the 308s & Mondials, the directional signals go thru the hazard switch. Since the hazard switch doesn't get used much, the contacts are prone to tarnish buildup. Quick workaround is to operate the hazard switch about 10 times, this will remove the tarnish.
    I reccommend doing it at the start of driving season to head off problems.

If the hazard switch doesn't help, then there's a good chance it's the turn indicator pivot end in the column switch.