UFC and MMA Thread | Page 77 | FerrariChat

UFC and MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Highlow, Aug 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'll be watching. Thank you for letting me know it's on.

2. konatown

konatown F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Kyle Swickard
    Well they didn't show his fight. He got stopped in the 1st due to slight cut from an elbow and then just 2 unanswered strikes as he tried to pull gaurd against the cage. Unanimously agreed that it was a very early stoppage. Shame. But congrats to Kurt Kinser

3. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    #1903 kizdan, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    Pick your winners........

Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Werdum
    Date: Jun 26, 2010
    Venue: HP Pavilion
    Broadcast: Showtime

MAIN CARD

* Fedor Emelianenko vs. Fabricio Werdum I believe Fedor is beatable, just not by Werdum.
    * Champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos vs. Jan Finney (for women's middleweight title) Cyborg is an animal.
    * Cung Le vs. Scott Smith If Cung Le is on his game, he's hard to beat. Will be a great striking matchup.
    * Pat Healy vs. Josh Thomson

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Chris Cope vs. Ron Keslar
    * Bret Bergmark vs. Vagner Rocha
    * Gareth Joseph vs. Yancey Medeiros
    * Derrick Burnsed vs. Bobby Stack

4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #1904 ag512bbi, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    I agree, BUT... Scott Smith is tough to beat. & I'm a big Josh Thomson fan. ALSO, Cyborg will be "THE ONE" to beat Fedor!

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    They had the Angels/Dodgers game on Over here. Plus there was a Game Delay (Right Field lights were out). I fell asleep before the show came on!!!!!

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Fedor taps!!!!

7. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Shades of Lesnar/Mir I. A rematch would probably end like Lesnar/Mir II. Gotta hand it to Werdum though. But it sure sounded like he wanted nothing to do with Overeem when interviewed in the ring afterwards.

8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I felt opposite. I think He already beat Overeem and The money is in a Fedor rematch. I was so Bummed. he should have known better. Those were white belt moves!!!!!

9. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Yeah he beat Overeem but that was a long time ago. AO is much improved since those days. And don't forget Werdum was more recently destroyed by Junior in less than 90secs. i saw Fedor making a big mistake and losing that fight more than Werdum dominating and winning. The reason he wants a rematch is that he idolizes Fedor.

Well since the #10 HW beat the #1 it will be interesting to see how the ranking deck shuffles. It should put Lesnar at #1(not that rankings mean much) and should also lower Fedor's name on the best pound for pound list.

10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Lets wait till AFTER the Lesner/Carwin fight. I hope Lesner will come out top dog. But Carwin is VERY DANGEROUS!!!!!!! Fedor just made a HUGE mistake, and got caught!!!!!

11. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Do you guys think that Werdum was truly stunned by Fedor's initial flurry of punches, or did he just use that to draw Fedor to the ground?

12. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know that the Fedor fight got all of the attention, but I don't think I've ever seen someone take as much punishment as Jan Finney endured from Cyborg. Finney is one tough cookie.

13. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    The Question is... Who can beat Cyborg? She definitely can be beat. But who can figure her out?

14. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K

Definitely think he was stunned. That's why I think a rematch will end like Lesnar/Mir II. Hand it to Werdum though as he called a first rnd sub on Inside MMA 2 weeks ago and he pulled it off.

If Toughill can't do it then I don't think there's a female in sight that can for a long long time. But Toughill hasn't fought in over a year IIRC so ring rust might be a factor.

15. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    At this point, I think the only one who can beat Cyborg is Cyborg. She'd have to make a mistake in order to lose, much the same way Fedor did in his fight.

I will say that she leaves herself wide open a lot, but her strength and athleticism make it very difficult for anyone to capitalize on those opportunities.

16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    She totally leaves her self wide open and she does get hit. Also, her stamina isn't the greatest. I just dont think Toughill has a chance. Is it a Technical fighter that could beat her or a banger?

17. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't think there's a banger that can trade blows with Cyborg. Finney caught her with a number of good shots and Cyborg walked right through them. The best chance to beat Cyborg is to somehow catch her in a submission hold.

18. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    How do you think Cyborg would do against a male of the same weight?
    How about against a male fighting at 135lbs? Or 125lbs?

19. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    If you watch the set up for the triangle, Fedor was spinning away from it nicely, but ran right into the cage. As soon as he 'bounced' into the cage, Werdum was able to keep rotating from underneath and clear his leg around the arm.

If there was no cage, Fedor would have likely not been caught (at least at that point). Very nice, very basic Jiu Jitsu from Verdum (it is the masters that make the basics look easy).

FWIW, Roger Gracie escaped a very similar triangle from Riberio by sitting down on his butt, wrapping his legs around Riberio, and 'stretching' him. One of the coolest triangle escapes I have seen performed. PS, I tried the same escape and hurt myself...lol.

20. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Tito had a great Triangle escape also on this season's TUF. It was one of the early episodes.

21. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    My triangle escape usually consists of the following (in this order)...

a) struggling
    b) doing something stupid and desperate at the last minute
    c) tapping

If I am feeling REAL brave, I usually escape the triangle by waking up with the class looking at me. I always do a quick check to make sure I didn't loose control of my bladder, then it's back to work.

22. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I escape triangles by rotating the right post on the joystick of my PS3!

23. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Want a good joke? Sherdog now has Werdum as the #2 HW in the world. Gimme a break. A UFC castoff catches Fedor making a mistake and he's elevated from #10(at best) to #2 ????

While I'm not a fan Fedor's, I hope his next match is a rematch so he can properly dispose of Werdum and restore the natural order. With one fight left on his SF contract you can bet it'll be a rematch. Who the hell else is he gonna fight?

24. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I hope your joking!!!!!

25. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    When a triangle is locked in well, most escapes hurt (and aren't that successful, at least at my skill level).

The other interesting aspect is that the submission came early - Fedor didn't have the benefit of sweat to help get out (although Verdum had that triangle really tight)!