UNBELIEVE CAR BUILT FROM WOOD | FerrariChat

UNBELIEVE CAR BUILT FROM WOOD

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by dadams73, Dec 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
  2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Gorgeous work. Kind of crazy but I like it. Talented guy.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #3 ryalex, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
  5. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    Having seen the wood F50 in person I know it is real but I have to say that after looking at the pictures in the article the op linked to I'm not convinced that his car is full size and drivable.

All the pictures look either computer generated or of a small scale wooden model placed in a photoshopped background. That doesn't prove it isn't what they say it is but that presentation leaves room for skepticism.

Very cool if real but for now I'm not buying it until I see something more convincing like a video or untouched pictures with something in it for proper scale.

6. Nolf1023

Nolf1023 Rookie

Jun 18, 2013
    The car is real and full size. I remember reading about it probably over 5 years ago and thinking it was quite cool. There was and may still be a website for the Splinter but I recall over the past few years there were not many updates to the webpage so I figured the designer may have given up on it. I was very surprised to see recently that it was finished. I'm happy for the designer for finally finishing the project. The car was displayed at Essen so I'm sure there are some pictures of it in which you can see the true size of the car.

Yes it's full size and whatnot but whether it will ever be driven is another question.

7. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #7 Alden, Dec 24, 2015
    It certainly looks like a scale model in this pic. The seat webbing and steering wheel really give it away.

And it looks like it is sitting on a high table in the shop.

??
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ....but all the pix so far are pure photoshop.....

9. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    pretty concept. I'm sure it can be done.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Why is this such a big deal?

Been done by Marcos before: Untitled 1
    Pete

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #11 BMW.SauberF1Team, Dec 25, 2015
    Plus those seats are different than those in the very last photo and the car in the last photo has no headlights while the other photo of the car in the shop has headlights. Looks fake to me.

12. Nolf1023

Nolf1023 Rookie

Jun 18, 2013
    Search Splinter Essen on google. There are pictures of the car at the show with people in the background, showing the scale of the car. The youtube video thumbnails also show someone standing next to the car in a parking lot.

I agree the pictures in the article all look like renderings, but I am positive the car is full size. I'm not really trying to defend the guy or his car, and no, the car is not really a "big deal". I just think the guy deserves some credit, regardless of whther or not the car runs, as clearly a lot of effort was put into it.

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I stand corrected.

The last photo I posted of it without the headlights and wicker seats seems to be an earlier model as this video is from 2008 and has the same findings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBqjcSl_1tw That was filmed in Orlando back in 2008...I could've seen it as I was in the area at the time.

The one with the large weave pattern in the seats and headlights looks to match the 2015 version in the Essen video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avU_5b743CE

Guess I was thrown off by the two versions and that the images were heavily processed...interesting idea. I'd like to hear what it feels like to drive...

14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Me three! Better pix from the Essen show would have saved some angst....

Now someone should invite him/car to next years Lake Tahoe Classic Wooden Boat Show; car would be right at home surrounded by Chris Crafts, Hackers & Rivas.....

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes, completely agree.
    Pete

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
  17. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    I was very disappointed that he went with the easy option and appears to have used metal or metal alloys for the engine.
    Also I am wondering if his attention to detail went as far as using wood from a rubber tree for the tyres.

JK - that is an amazing piece of art although I would not like to crash it without any 'give' in the wood.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Splinter is what it will do in the first crash.