Urraco thread | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Urraco thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by 1121034, Jun 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #101 Wade, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. kc023515

kc023515 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kevin Crauwels
  3. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
  4. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    I would say, the one first the lowest VIN, since the first one was the prototype which turned into Urraco BOB...

5. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    raymond

I not so sure about "bob" being the very first. The very early design proposal prototypes dont look like the anything like the production car. More to the point, there where 3 or 4 prototype urraco's in orange, silver, and yellow. If memory serves, I thought the urraco bob was built off the yellow prototype (where the other 2 crash tested?). although these look simular to the production cars nearly every body panel and glass are different and arent interchangable with production cars. One of the main difference of the prototype is the side glass angle of the tumble home is much more acute. i spoken to mr. wallace himself about doing a urraco in the spirit the famed "bob rallye" years ago and he stated it would be nearly impossible to replicate it with production model. Its to big of a hurdle to get it down to the prototypes weight not to mention the claimed 900kg or so weight with alloy panels of the bob special.

i would love to learn more of these fasinating cars... anyway you can grant me a pass to your jalpa/urraco/silh site ?

warm regards

hf

6. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    They bertone prototypes all still exist, nowadays they are in tonino museum who bought all the special cars from the factory's scrapyard.
    Urraco Bob was built on the prototype which was the base for the production.
    But like always in Lamborghini's history you never know if the lowest VIN was also the first produced car...

7. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    so the the yellow and silver pre-production urraco still exist? i wonder if anyone has recent pics to post up. i would love to see what they look like today with all i different details i.e. ….central instrument panel, external fuel filler, thin c-pillars and high mounted head lamps etc.

im guessing that white car maybe the first real production urraco...?
    it has the early prototype wheels with smaller hole that differs from the later wheels which are the same as the lp400 countach fronts.

very cool urraco historic nuances...

cheers

hf

8. kmeighannj

kmeighannj Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2006
    Bedminster, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kirk M
    FWIW -- I own Urraco P250 #15006. Bought it in May from an Italian mechanic in Pennsylvania. Based on the VIN, I believe it is the 4th production car and the earliest Urraco in the United States. It does have the prototype wheels on it. It is in decent condition --not concours -- original interior but has had one exterior repaint back in the 1980's. One nuance I found when I bought the car -- I was buying through a broker and neither of us could find the fuel filler -- I felt like an idiot! I had my book on the V-8 Lambo's with me and saw where it was on the prototypes (on the side louvers). Finally, we lifted the engine cover and there it was -- right above the engine! I can only assume that it was viewed as unpleasing to the eye to have it where the prototypes had it -- safety be damned!

I'm surprised how much I enjoy driving this car. I have been a long time Lambo owner, currently have a 73 Espada also, but just sold a 1970 Miura S last year (was sold again at Monterey Russo & Steele in August by the next owner) and a 1975 LP400 in January. Before that had a 1969 Espada, an Anniversary Countach, A Diablo VT and a Diablo SV. The Urraco is not that powerful but is light, mid-engined, handles well and quite rare so always a conversation starter.

Kirk

9. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    kmeighannj

Lol… yes its weird and worrisome to have the fuel filler next to a hot exhaust manifold nearby. Another interesting thing ive notice is that the early P250 have it on the left side of the car while the later P300, silhouettes and Jalpa have the fuel filler on the right side of the motor. being such an early model it did your urraco come with the funky chunky blocks pleats on the front and reat seats?

It must be fantastic to have sample so many vintage lambos . Im still looking to get my first lambo. ive been looking on and off for an urraco for more years than Id like to say. The timing hasn’t been right an usually bought something else.

hf

10. kmeighannj

kmeighannj Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2006
    Bedminster, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kirk M
    Yes -- very mod seats. They look like someone's vision of the future in the 1960's -- kind of like something from "A Clockwork Orange" maybe. Strange steering wheel, turn stalks jutting out of the dash ready to stab you (or at least take your eye out) in an accident. All very cool. Very different than the generic cars being produced today.

11. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    #111 raymondQV, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
    I was writing about the 3 design scetches from Bertone, the real prototypes, one of them became the Ferrari 308 GTB.
    They were left behind the factory for 20 years, then Tonino bought all the remainings and rebuilt them for the musuem in Dosso di Cento.

What happened to the preproduction car I have no clue, but knowing Lamborghini they were either crash tested or sold.

The best Urraco to have would be an early P300 with the cromed steal bumpers, I could have bought #20003 in 2000 but bought the jalpa instead.

12. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    #112 Jota 5084, Oct 21, 2008
  13. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    rayqv

rather than the pinnifarina 308gtb , i think you meant it became influential to bertone 308gt4...

I would have to agree, the P300 is a much more involving drive than the P250. I would go as far as saying the 3.0 motor is more exciting than the Fed 3.5 jalpa in terms of sound with the shorter stroke. I do prefer the chrome bumpers but early black ones arent so bad either. all urraco's are stunning pretty imo

I do prefer the interior of the early cars over the P300 with the cleaner dash and no exposed roll hoop. I do like the shift gate in the later cars though. Personally I recall the P300 front seat being absolutely awful in shape while the silhouette being the best . The P250 urraco seats being somewhere in between in confort. Ive never driven an early P250 with the “chunky seats” although the structure looks the same as the later P250 and P111 seat. The jalpa’s seats like the P300 are overly cushy for my taste. They are more akin to a GT rather than a sports car.

Jota

Thanks for post… love those early 70’s factory photos.

14. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    #114 Marcello, Dec 4, 2008
  15. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    #115 hyenahf, Dec 6, 2008
    marcello

thanks for posting

here's some pics the other two more common metallic green colored urraco ive pulled off the net.

below is a pic taken few years ago of candy apple green islero next to gene's immaculate P111. i absolutely love that shade of green with the off with interior.... I wonder if did any urraco's come in that green?

I took some pics of a metallic green P111 USA urraco in california back in the 90's that had a GM V6 transplant. If i can find them I'll scan them andl post them up.

cheers

hf
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. kc023515

kc023515 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2007
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kevin Crauwels
    Any idea which VIN belong to the one with Italian registration PV37 6115? Maybe it is an optical illusion, but from this side it seems that the louvres-cover on the left side is in one part while on the right side it has the standard 3 part cover. Another odd thing is the Lamborghini-badge on top of the bootlid.

I know 4 different Urraco in verde / verde medio. #20066 and #15436 as pictured above, #20040 for sale in Spain in 2005 and #30018 for sale in Italy (luzzago).

17. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    Thanks for posting, the color card is nice!
    So is it safe to say that normally an Urraco P250 was colored a non metallic color,
    and an Urraco P250 S standard metallizato (metallic)?

The Verde Scandale car I pictured here in Holland, as well as Chelle's car is clearly Verde Chiaro, a non metallic color.

The Islero you saw is #6643, and it was an optional color the factory called Verde Carib (Caribbean Green),
    but I have the original color of this car as dark green metallic.

Cheers,
    Marcel

18. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Hi,

Very interesting! Do you have similar colour tables for Isleros? I've got a dark green Islero and I would like to find its exact colour.
    Best regards,

19. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    Don't know the exact color, but have a look at the Islero thread now..

Ciao!
    Marcello

20. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    #120 italiancars, Dec 6, 2008
    Verde Amazzone Acrilico # 2.445

21. BRAVO-V8

BRAVO-V8 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2008
    LYON (France)
    Hi,

I just found this thread about Urraco today, I Have a passion for Lamborghini V8 since a long time, I own an Urraco P300, 20494 since 1999 and I have bought Three Jalpa for rebuild a very nice one.
    I work a lot on a new website about the little Lamborghini story from the Urraco prototype to the Gallardo, I will put on it all the information that I have, technical manual, parts catalogue, magazine about Urraco and silhouette (For Jalpa refer to Raymond's site jalpa.ch), I have more than 100 magazine from all over the world to scan...Factory catalogue, different advert...
    I want to make a complete registry, I have a lot of chassis number but I try to find also the body number than begin with 1060.
    The first Urraco serial car have the body number 1060-1 and chassis number 15000, the last one have the chassis number 20562 and I don't have the body number, I have the one from chassis 20560 that is the late LHD car 1060-788.
    Before the serial car there's 3 car that was built after the 2 prototype, the first that appeared is the orange one that became the famous Urraco Bob, the second one was white and appeared later in silver, it will be interresting to know where is this car now, the third one is the yellow car that was use for the crash test...This car is near the production car, it had the instrument panel facing the driver, for the two other the panel was at the centre of the car.
    I need your help for having information about the different car, if possible chassis number, body number, photo 3/4 front, 3/4 rear, engine and interior and history.
    I expect that you could use it soon: www.Baby-Lambo.fr

Eric

22. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    #122 Jota 5084, Dec 8, 2008
  23. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #123 EMILIO, Dec 8, 2008
    ccol! do not forget the coolest V8 (the sil.! :) )
    please post pics of yours

my fother had a red early jalpas with urraco tail lights in the 90's

may be i can help with some pics/scans

24. BRAVO-V8

BRAVO-V8 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2008
    LYON (France)
    Thanks for the photo, I saw a P250 with the french engine cover and yellow front fog lamp certainly an original french car, Emilio I don't miss the Silhouette (i dream to have one in the garage...) but a lot of job was done on the lamborghiniregistry with Glen, I have lot of magazine catalogue and original manual to scan, for the Jalpa, Raymond had done a very great job ans I have lot of magazine to scan for him about the Jalpa...I expect to have one day the story of each model but it will be hard

Eric

25. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Indeed eric, I have hardly any french magazines on the page, I think you sent quite a lot some years ago.