V10 Lamborghini perceptions | FerrariChat

V10 Lamborghini perceptions

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by au-yt, Apr 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #1 au-yt, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Recently I had this idea I would sell my V12 Ferrari (Manual 456M)and buy an early Gallardo.

Speacking to a well known Australian Dealer, I got this speal that they don't have any thing to do with the cars, due to the people they attract.

I note there are not many posts of Fchat about the V10 cars.

I am interested to know what the classic Lambo owners take on this is?

2. I like them. They are incredible cars.

3. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    They are not too fast, but agile and kinda fun in turns.
    Makes a balanced car.

4. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I have not driven a Gallardo, so can't speak to that, but I did just purchase a 2017 Huracan and it's the best car I've ever owned. I love it. The handling is incredible. The sound is fantastic. The styling is artwork.

I also have an E60 M5 and it's remarkable in performance, especially for a mid-sized sedan. The sound is also great, although it has been modified.

I suggest you go drive one and see what you think. As for the element of ownership, whatever. Honestly, the Ferrari salesman rubbed me so wrong, that's why I went to Lambo in the first place. I drove the Huracan and it was all over but the smile that has not left my face since I took delivery.

5. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    fantastic driving machines, well built and agile to drive
    reliable and nice sounding
    at the same time: thhey are 10% lamborghini and 90% audi

6. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Great cars to drive, they are fun and reliable. If you actually use the car, normal doors are a blessing. VW/Audi parts for most of the consumables can be had for cheap if you shop around. They sound great.

They are high production, so they aren't going to gain value like an Fcar or low production Lambo, but they likely won't go down. If you get a manual, there's a better likelihood of value retention.

Some cars have oil starvation issues, this seems to be remedied by keeping frequent oil changes and regularly checking oil levels.

2006 had a significant amount of changes over the early cars.

7. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    There cars are very good and the high volume production has its quality benefits.

My want to down size from 12 to 10 Cylinders was shattered after a "discussion" ( toned down for posting on the forum) with the my wife who has stepped in and said no. their to far out there, the 456 is more a normal car. Shame I like out there cars.
    And no guys the option of a new wife isn't available. I have retired and don't want to go back to work!

8. mt_jt

mt_jt Formula Junior

May 9, 2012
    Australia
    Not too fast? Campared to what???

9. You need to tell her you can buy jewelry every 3-5 years instead of changing that timing belt. :)

10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    There is another forum where the Gallardo is the most popular topic...

There are many reasons why the 10 cylinder cars are not as well thought of as compared to the flag ship V12s. But it doesn't hurt sales does it? They are also very competitive within their market, just as past junior-Lamborghinis (Urraco, Jalpa) have been.

I certainly wouldn't mind going to the garage and getting to choose between a classic Diablo Roadster and a modern Huracan....

11. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    Ah, some old 964 turbo 3.6? :)
    There are a lot of faster cars, but not as many that feel fun.

12. lewie

lewie Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2007
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    lewie
    Lamborghini built 14022 Gallardos between 2003 and 2013.

Ferrari built 16000 - 18000 F360s between 1999 and 2004 and 15500 - 17500 F430s between 2004 and 2009 according to Michael Sheehan.

So you cannot speak about low volumes for the Gallardo, allthough its a considerably lower number than Ferrari's junior car.

13. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I am lucky enough to be exposed to all versions of Lambo V10s. They are very cool cars and a lot of fun to drive. I was able to spend some quality time in a 16 Huracan and they are unbelievable cars. Very fast, sound great and the shifts are quicker than my eye blinks.

14. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    The Gallardo V10 is awesome. Every gear pulls hard and sounds the same kind of like a sport bike. One thing I did not expect was the muscle car like rumble back massage you get at idle. I found myself shifting it way too much. The engine is so flexible you can basically leave it in one gear for most driving.

15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    There is an undeserved social stigma that the Lambo V10s are poseur cars bought simply to cruise around and look good in.

There may have been some truth to that in the early days of the Gallardo, but certainly not true now.

The Huracan and later Gallardos are awesome. First Gen Gallardo Im not really a fan of.

16. goldlifter

goldlifter Karting

Aug 8, 2015
    The Gallardo (especially first gen) has one of the best,if not THE best, V10 scream at WOT, gorgeous styling without being over the top and the lowest maintenance rates you will find for an exotic.....whats not to love?

17. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Interesting comments guys thank you.
    Interesting observation I rather like the 04s and here is why.
    In 1995 I saw the first G at the Sydney motor show and its the first car for a long time time that stopped in my tracks, just stunning, well to me any way.
    I rather like the original tall first gear ratios ( or Close ratio box), in the city they may not be great but that's not what the cars were designed for.
    The sound of the early cars is magic.
    The 04 cars have the trick Koni FSD shocks which don't get a mention much and for back country roads these apparently are very good no lift kit , another city issue, and there are aftermarket ones available
    KONI | FSD
    Gs seem designed for easier service and they don't have "Fing" timing belts Major cost
    I like the fact there are lots of aftermarket stuff available.
    I don't like the basic colour interiors that were available, but easily remedied.

Only real stumbling block to owning one is one wife who thinks they are "too out there", and being retired getting a new one of those isn't an option.

18. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    #18 zakeen, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a 2008 Superleggera. I love it and drive it almost everyday, unless its terrible weather. The sound is amazing, I mean amazing and to get Audi parts is a huge plus, as there is no Lambo service center close to me so if something happens I take it to Audi and its simple.

I dont know the prices in Australia, but in EU they are very well priced for what you get for it!

Im a huge Ferrari Fan from Childhood, I have two now and owned others over the years. But Lambo's are growing on me more and more. Personally I would much rather a G then a 456M.... But thats only because in my opinion a G is a more fun car to drive, its more "race car" feel then a 456.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    2008 SG is probably the best gallardo of them all
    and your color is one of the best

great choice imo