Velocity stacks | FerrariChat

Velocity stacks

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bob Zambelli, May 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Does anyone know of a source for velocity stacks for Weber carbs?
    I want a set for my GTC. Mine is a US version - I don't know the carb model offhand but it's the type with the square choke plates and three hold down studs per carb.

Anyone out there have the info I need?

Bob Z.

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That wasn't much help...

3. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    It is if you're patient and know where to look.
    If you're both impatient and don't know where to look your local Ferrari dealer will be happy to do both for you.
    Should all else fail:
    http://www.piercemanifolds.com/

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Vintage guys are a little more friendly and like to swap stuff from the garage back and forth..

**** those eBay guys, trying to make a dime....you wil need to figure out yuor carb Series & catalog number though, a good thing to know IMO.

5. Hairy

Hairy Karting

Nov 16, 2004
    Better find out first which carbs are on the car before you start looking.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good Luck, Bob Z.....I'll check the workbench....we threw about $20K worth of Vintage Parts stuff away two months ago....

Sigh, no one was ever gonna ask about it.....

7. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    #8 kvisser, May 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    For some of the carbs you will not not only the velocity stacks but different carb tops as well. On the Daytona the factory velocity stacks require a completely different carb top. You must move the float assembly from the old carb top to the new, reset the float level, install and then install the velocity stacks.

Dont buy a set of stacks alone without the carb tops as they will be useless.

For my Daytona I found the carb tops and velocity stacks by doing exactly what you have done: I posted on fchat and a fellow f-chatter PM'd me with a set he had that was taking up attic space. A deal was done and now my Daytona makes really great induction sounds!

Terry

9. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Terry - I know just what you mean - there are two square projections on the tops of my carbs. A standard flat flange, as used on many velocity stacks, will not clear them.

I have the equipment to fabricate them if necessary - the trick will be fitting the little screens, which I consider a must.

Bob Z.

10. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Bob,

Making these would appear easier than it may be. The length, shape and curve of the top are all critical. If they are not perfect for the set application the correct venturi effect will not be achieved.

When going through recent carb tuning to correct rich running issues we discovered that the car ran very differently with and without the screens on the stacks. The screens were sitting inside the top of the stack. They were thus altering the shape of the flared opening. It turned out this was making a very noticable difference in how the car responded to throttle application and to the fuel/air ratio!

Best of luck!

Terry

11. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Bob - I preface this by acknowledging your considerable experience w/ Ferrari motors. But the vintage Ferrari motor re-build guys I have talked to have remarked at the hellacious wear the velocity stack motors suffer because of the raw grit that gets run thru the motor. You sure you want to do this?

12. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Not a problem if you use a booty type filter over the stacks.

Terry

13. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #14 John Vardanian, May 18, 2006
  14. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Terry,

I've searched for "booty" filters, but cannot find any that look like they would fit with the siamised type stacks. Do you know where they can be purchased?

Thank you.

Mark

15. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Go here:

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/index.taf

Call them up, ask to speak to their "head engineer" and tell them you want a set of custom made bootie type filters for Ferrari velocity stacks. They custom make them to specs. They made my set and I think they have made several others since mine. Filter booties use a very fine mesh single layer screen that filters down to 4 microns. They slip over the stacks and have a drawstring to pull them tight. You have to remove them and clean them from time to time but its very easy.

They make these for use on injection stacks on dirt track racing cars.... more than capable of doing what we want done!

Terry

16. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

We use Sprint Car sock filters and they work fine and flo super.

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Wow. Cool stuff!

Could someone post a close-up picture of just one velocity stack pair?

Do the carbs need to be adjusted after going from the bigger snorkel air filter intake to velocity stacks?

18. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    A friend of mine bought a 250 GTO which was used as a street car for years here in the Philadelphia area. There were no air filters on it when he bought it and as far as I know, there never were.

When I had the engine out and apart, I was amazed at how clean everything was - The bores were within tolerance and didn't even have any ridges. As far as I could tell, the engine was never apart - at least, there were no telltale signs.

Anywow, the feedback on this thread is great - it even helped me to find a company that may offer a fuel injection conversion for my GTC. That might help the low-end torque for pulling a trailer.

Bob Z.

19. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Bob,

Fuel injection isn't worth it. Drop in a 400i motor or a Chevy if you want to tow things with your 330 GTC :) .

Regards,

Art S.

20. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hi, Art - big block or small block Chevy??
    Maybe a 500 cubic inch Hemi!!

Can you picture my GTC with a hood bulge for the blower?

Bob Z!!!!!

21. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    :)

From my memory it's a 426 Hemi with 500hp. Just get a Charger hood and cut it down a little, we'll make it fit.

By the way, I have thought about getting a parted out PF Coupe or GTE and and a wrecked 400 and mating the two. A 400 drivetrain in a PF or GTE would be pretty cool if you could beef up the chassis to handle the extra power. Even better if you could build up a Daytona-like 6 down-draft carb set-up.

Regards,

Art S.

22. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    You'd have to change the heads

23. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Or, 6 DCOE carbe from the C-4.

This is getting exciting.

Art - I'm in NJ quite often - where are you?

Bob Z.

24. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
    #25 morcal, May 19, 2006
    Stacks for 308 vs stock Weber hornets. You see stacks need some adapters to fit on the carbs top. Baby white socks do outstanding job in protecting from dust and debries.
    Cal
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login