Velocity stacks | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Velocity stacks

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bob Zambelli, May 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Bob,

I live a little north of Princeton but the car lives in Princeton (it needs a more respectable address than I do!). Let me know when you'll be in the area (if you want my contact info, just send me a PM).

By the way, there is a 400 on the west coast for sale for very little money that I'm thinking about for tinkering or as a donor for just such a project (probobly for tinkering as the body is to nice to justify breaking the car up).

Regards,

Art S.

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Cal,

I would think the socks would restrict the air flow more than the standard air box would. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Art S.

3. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    If your tinkering may I suggest getting rid of the self leveling rear, change the wheels to non milimetric's and a straight through exhaust (with the standard tips/rear section to make it slightly civilised)

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Andrew,

I'm still in the contemplating stage. If I actually get beyond contemplation, I have to go through the aquisition process then shipping it to the east coast (same distance as shipping across the pond, just no customs paperwork). Only if I get though those steps can I begin tinkering ;) . However, if I get there I will take your advice (assuming, of course, the rear suspension is dead, it has metric wheels on it and the exhaust is shot - if the exhaust is shot, I generally prefer glass packs instead of straight pipes, better back pressure and agressive sound) :) .

Cheers!

Art S.

PS. what became of your 400?

5. MarkL

MarkL Karting
    Owner

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    #30 MarkL, May 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. MarkL

MarkL Karting
    Owner

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    #31 MarkL, May 19, 2006
  7. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
    Art,
    thank you for the advice, feel however that socks cotton texture is more permeable than the paper filter in the air box. Without socks the combustion seems a bit lean ( just observing tail pipe carbon deposit).
    Cheers
    Cal

8. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Cal,

I think I see your point. Unless you're racing, I wouldn't mess with it. Besides, it must sound great with the stacks!

Regards,

Art S.

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That looks very nice, Mark. You have twice the camshafts and twice the carbs than I do!

Does changin from a regular air-filter-box to velocity stacks require rejetting or retuning the carbs?

10. MarkL

MarkL Karting
    Owner

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Matt,

Bill Badurski set up the carb jetting with velocity stacks in place after he rebuilt the motor. With the increased air volume with velocity stacks I would expect that the motor would run too lean if all other carb settings were the same.

11. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Do Not use them on a "cam'ed" engine! They retain the fuel stand off coming out of the carbs and hold it. One small back fire and you have a new paint removal process. Been there, done that.....TdF

12. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    With that gauge wire mesh, the dome ideally needs to be much larger to avoid restricting the intake.

Making a much larger dome maintains the same level of filtration, yet allows much more air speed/volume.

Alternatively, you could use some thinner wire in the mesh.

Using an airbox and sucking cold air is hugely beneficial to performance, rather than "showy" stacks...

13. MarkL

MarkL Karting
    Owner

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Cold air box is in process.....Terry?
    So the "showy" stacks will not be seen.

14. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Well........ there was "Lucy Bell" the 250TR that was flat towed behind the TdF of R. Cowels to races around the west coast......
    Im still trying to figure out how to put a 5th wheel hitch on the Saleen.. 700'#s + torque makes the Power Stroke look rather lean

Dave

15. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Mark,

I will be working on repainting the airbox today. It was all done and ready to go but the first attempt at wrinkle paint the paint didnt wrinkle. That stuff is a pain! I should have it done and pics ready within the next day or so.

I already spoke to the machine shop about building another. They can do it, but they must have the car present in order to ensure fit and clearance.

I will be taking my car off the road soon to do all the suspension so I wont need an airbox right away. I figure you are going to be able to put it to use sooner so I could just sell you the one that is already done and have another made.

I will post pics as soon as the paint is dry. I will shoot some both on and off the car.

Terry

16. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    If these guys don't have what you need, maybe they can tell you where to get them. http://www.twminduction.com/AirHorn/AirHorn-FR.html

Take a look at David Vizard's How to Build Horsepower Vol II. There were a couple of pages that compared stacks of various lengths, radius lip vs. none, V angle of stacks, etc. albeit these tests were done on SU's. Same principles apply though. Or are you looking for original looking stuff?

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Would a six carburetor setup (a-la 330LMB) fit under a 330GTC hood?

Jack

18. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    YES

19. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #44 Napolis, May 23, 2006
  20. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Jim,

Do you find a noticable difference in performance between the carbuetted and injected versions of your cars?

Regards,

Art S.

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    So far I'd have to say 0846 is happier on a track and 0854 is fine on the street but I'll have a better idea after the Targa. We've done a lot of work to 0846 and with the proper sized wheels and tires and a few other things I'm thinking she may not mind the street as much. When they come on the cam they both pull hard but 0846 is a faster than 0854. Neither however, pull like J 6.

Best

22. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

No substitute for torque!

Like Jim Downing once told me: "horsepower looks great in a magazine article, but torque wins races".

His Kudzu team raced a turbocharged mazda rotary powered prototype in IMSA in the late 1980s and early 1990s. They had more horsepower than the factory Nissan team or any of the Porsche 962s. Didnt matter. They couldnt get the turbo rotary engine to crank out a decent torque curve and therefore they couldnt leverage the power. The other cars ran away on corner exit as the Kudzu guys waiting for the power to come....

A similar analogy to the Ferrari P cars vs GT40 series..... Generating lots of power at 8500rpm will make you hero with the listening crowd, but the good old American V8 thats cranking out max torque from 3500 rpm will confound you out of every corner and up every hill!

This is why the twin plug 3.4L Porsche engine in my RSR has been built with a long and consistent torque curve as the goal over peak horsepower. It dyno'd out at "only" 320hp but it hits peak torque at 3400 rpm and maintains it through 7200. I know others I will be racing against in similar cars will have 350-360hp but at the cost of a peaky torque curve. I may lose out at places like Sebring or Daytona but at Road Atlanta and Barber.... they are mine!

Terry

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very True. J6 makes over 550 ft/lbs and her curve is very flat. The one to watch is the R 10 900 ft/lbs at low revs.

24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    "People buy horsepower but love torque."

Jack

25. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Jim, Terry & Jack,

This conversation reminds me of a Mark Donehue quote:

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner UNTIL the braking point of the next turn, THEN you have enough horsepower"

I have this on the back ofa T-shirt.

Regards,

Art S.