VIDS OF BURNING ENZO !! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

VIDS OF BURNING ENZO !!

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by subgraphic, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    :( X 10,000

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    :)( X 10,000!) + :)( X 10,000!) X :)( X 10,000!)2

3. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Des/carbon/NNO/etc..... I was expecting you to do that. :)

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good eye Will, It IS the Art Car parade route, and will be again May 8, 2004.

The World's Fastest Art Car will single handedly wrestle the raw Maranello horsepower of the mighty 308GTB thru the streets of Downtown Houston, to the cheers and amazement of 100,000 spectators! Hot cars and hot babes will be EVERYWHERE. Or at least in MY car! (A/C still on the fritz.)

I guess this wanker was just practicing early, you know, WISHING he was me!
    He'd better keep at it, eh? LOL!

I'm gonna go this PM to try to scape something up for NNO.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I just think it's a shame all those guys got the cash, and all I got was talent!

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Speedy, that would actually be really cool... Thanks...

LOL, William, you can just call me Carbon... It IS my real name, you know... :)

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well we've been yakking about it for two days!

I bet when I stop some kids will come by and I'll get the real story!

You know how CF shatters, there's bound to be some left around.
    Next stop eBay! LOL (Jus' kidding, I'll pass it all around.)

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll bet the remains are at FoH. .25 Bet???

9. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Call Russ to see if he knows. BTW, he has an WRX STI. ;)

10. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    That just tragic. Ugh. Now there are 398?

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Seing a wrecked car is terrible , but seing it die slowly by fire is even worse..i cant imagine how you must feel as you see your baby slowly being consumated by the flames as you stand , helpless...ughh..

That V12 ! Those seats ! that steering wheel !!!

So sad !

12. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    actualy 397

there was one somewhere in florida
    there are no pics of that one

13. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    396 2 red 1 yellow.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    THIS JUST IN......DATELINE HOUSTON, TEXAS .....USA...........STOP

In an attempt to confirm or deny... and silence all the sceptics, Speedy308, and son Scott "Lil' Bull" Leach, set forth as the sun went down, retracing the route of the last moments of Enzo #398. Scott hopes to pay for his LM002 with found dinosaur bones and so was well versed and sharp eyed as the journey went on.

Joining Allen Parkway eastbound from Kirby, the unmuffled tones of the 308 could be heard battling for position with Hondas and Toyotas driven by commuters winding their way home. As the towers of Downtown came into view.

Unsure of the whereabouts, or exact location, as we neared the site we stopped and chatted with a man gardening behind a fence on the right.

"That way" with a smile, provided all the encouragement required!

Looking for a hasty repair in the cyclone fence to the right, we found none.
    The shining fence seemed to mock our efforts. Only when we reached Downtown did we realize our first drive by attempt had failed. We circled for a second attempt, rounding behind the Federal Reserve Bank construction site. Passing new low income housing, we knew this HAD to be the place.

Just before the Pierce Elevated Overpass of IH45 southbound, a discolored patch of asphault appeared ahead. BINGO!

Carefully parking the 308GTB with amber hazards flashing, we disembarked and begun our work.

Scattered among the oak leaves from last fall were telltale clues of awesome destruction. Walking back west following angled skid marks and scratches in the road, we realized why no patch in the fence was evident. The entire 400' span had been replaced! New posts cored thru the concrete, wire snippets on the ground confirming a hasty installation. Sadly the telltale Red fragment continued to elude us.

Returning to the burn site with a sharp eye, carbon fiber fragments began to appear. More, then more, were carefully examined, and placed into the GTB.
    Now look! Molten globs of space age alloy were found, ranging in size from dimes, then quarters, finally a piece over 8" long was recovered!

Also found were small assemblies of mounting hardware, still autoclaved into the fiber, hanging on with integrity long after the battle was lost! The spirit of the Enzo hung heavy in the darkening air.

Tempered glass fragments of questionable provenance were found, but only after an amber lens fragment was located and added to the stack, was the rear entry of the car into the 30" calper oak tree corroberated by circumstantial evidence.

Next Lil' Bull came up with sevral real finds. pieces of alloy rim! Unscarred by the heat, these had obviously left the car during the lurid skid path. Three of these were recovered. two still retaining the curvature of the original cast, the largest, almost 10" in length, was twisted axially like a cinnimon twist from the bakery, most likely by the slamming action of the rim against the curb. Scott speculated out loud that this fragment could likely be the first object broken from the car, as it left the normal traffic path. I nodded in silent agreement.

The oak tree stood silent, yielding no secrets. I stepped over and relieved the pressure of several Coronas against it's exposed roots, having the last laugh against this sturdy guardian of the right of way, who would dare to end the life of the 308's modern cousin!

As darkness fell, ending our recovery efforts, we searched one last time for the answer to the riddle, of how a vehicle developed by a World Champion, equipped with the most modern technology available, could meet it's ignoble end in a smouldering pile of ashes.

Walking back to the car in silence as the street lights came on, contributing their amber glow, the burned, charred answer glistened from the fallen leaves!
    We bent down, picked it up, turning it over in the palm of our hands, then made a positive identification:

It was the BRAKE PEDAL of the fallen icon!

USE IT SOONER NEXT TIME!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

It rests silently at my feet as I write, among carbon fiber shards and shining globules of melted engine block and calipers.

"Ya'll drive safely, out there! ;) The life you save might be mine."
    James Dean, in a TV Public Safety announcement made shortly before his death

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #40 BigTex, Mar 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Historic fragments available on request, in exchange for a token donation to the Child Advocates Ferrari Racing for Children 2004 race team. ;)

Don't delay! Get yours today.

Provided with a Certificate of Authenticity, signed by Speedy, Lil' Bull and JRV!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Just PM me so we can work out the details... i can do without the JRV signature of authenticity, though... :)

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ROTFLMAO!!!!! I'm on his bad side right now, too! That part was just a joke!

Good thing the cars running good. Next time it breaks I'll have to sell it!

How did you like the narrative?

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The narrative was pretty awesome, actually... Can i make my donation instead, to Scott's LM002 fund...? After all, you already have an Italian exotic... :D

20. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Great work speedy. Now where are the pics?

21. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    Now *that* is good writing.

BTW, I drive that route to work every morning and on Monday, the big hole in the fence was still there. I noticed this morning that the hole had miraculously disappeared. :)

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No pics........these a POWERFUL people in town. ;)

He probably bummed a ride home in a squad car!

I have nothing but the highest respect for his parents. Truly generous with their philanthropy. Kinda like Speedy, with Child Advocates and The Orange Show Foundation.

I'm supporting the renovation of The Beer Can House, one cool one at a time.

After we scoured the site, there's not much evidence left!
    I think a Blue Form will be required, and somebody's gotta cover the water bill.

You get an invoice from the DOT for the guard rail too. Don't ask me how I know!

I spoke with the contractor on site, who has also put in a Change Order Request for emergency treatment ......... for the tree!!

23. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    You have to wonder how fast that tool was driving and with ALL those wonderful vehicle dynamic controls how he managed to get it SO wrong....

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My analysis, strictly arm chair quarterbacking...... It was a down hill sweeper to the left, followed by a rise. Given enough speed, he got light over the rise and lost the downforce under the car as airflow increased under the front end.

Like the Mercedes that flew at Lemans, .......or our brave Alboreto.

25. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    But honestly how much inertia would you have to have to do that???

I suppose the fact he walked away is testamant to the survivability of these cars but then you see people dying in low speed accidents due to "dumb Luck"
    Seems to me this Jamal jr is the poster boy for DUMBLUCK