Taken Off Market - Vintage Automotive Design & Advertising Original Art | FerrariChat

Taken Off Market Vintage Automotive Design & Advertising Original Art

Discussion in 'Other Parts & Collectibles' started by so_choice, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 so_choice, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    From my personal collection – offering a group of one of a kind vintage automotive design studio and advertising art pieces.

These are the actual paintings / drawings / mockups used as part of the process of designing new models or creating advertising campaigns – they are not modern reproductions. Almost all art of this type was destroyed shortly after creation, making these types of pieces very hard to find.

Happy to provide additional information including more detailed photos to any interested buyers. Unless noted, they are sold as-is and unframed (Great pieces to frame and display!)

Asking prices are in USD and include shipping with tracking to anywhere in North America. Happy to ship worldwide at extra cost. Note that actual shipping and materials costs are quite high on most of these as they must be sent flat.

I am located in midtown Toronto (Canada) for anyone who wishes to inspect items in person.

1) Incredible vintage hand-painted Mercedes Benz design drawing. I forwarded a photo of this piece to the Mercedes Benz Museum in Germany – one of the lead researchers confirmed based on the markings this is circa approximately 1924 and was produced in the Sindelfingen body plant. They were not 100% certain as to the model but believe it is either a Mercedes-Knight or a Mercedes 15/70/100 hp (I will send this email correspondence to the buyer). Exceptionally detailed drawing that is almost 100 years old! The overall piece is very large and measures 16” by 21 ½”. It does have some staining and foxing (brown spots) on the paper and the paint on the car has some cracking effect from age. Asking $1200.

2) Dodge Challenger concept car design sketch – dated March 11 1970 and signed by designer Ric Carell. Measures approximately 11” by 24” (large). Has staple holes at the corners where it was pinned up for design review. Also has several corner bends / wrinkles / small tears around the corners and edges – these would be minimized if framed. Really an exceptional piece overall. Asking $600

3) Plymouth design sketch circa approximately 1970s by noted designer John Samsen. I believe this is a Barracuda concept. I have two similar sketches listed in this ad – this is the signed version. Very large piece with great colours – measures approximately 16 ½” by 18 ¾” . Has staple holes at the corners where it was pinned up for design review. This piece does appear to have some surface staining / water damage but it blends in with the design well. Asking $600

4) Plymouth design sketch circa approximately 1970s by noted designer John Samsen. I believe this is a Barracuda concept. I have two similar sketches listed in this ad – this one is unsigned. Very large piece with great colours – measures approximately 16 ½” by 18 ¾” . Has staple holes at the corners where it was pinned up for design review. Good condition for its age overall with some light wear. Asking $600

5) Incredible 1968 Chevrolet Camaro ad mockup sketch – “The Cars You Hate to Get Out Of”. Notes describe the man intended for the ad to be an “Older Sporty (Barry?) Goldwater type with beard and large sunglasses”. I believe this was produced by Campbell Ewald (Chevy’s main ad agency at the time but am not certain). The drawing itself has been pasted to a board, the back of which is stapled a typed sheet with the ad copy. The drawing is partially lifting from the board and could be carefully removed / framed separately if desired. Also includes the rough sketch page of the same drawing. Full piece with board is 16 ½” by 13 1/12”. Drawing portion is approximately 10 ¼” by 13 ½”. The drawing itself is in excellent condition – there is some wear to the note pages and board. Asking $500

6) 1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS hand illustrated ad mockup – “To come this close to Corvette, we picked the best sportscar brains around (our own”. Super cool hand painted piece with mock up text. Created using several layers of paper and pasted to cardboard. Measures approximately 11” by 13 ¾” overall and in good condition with some light wear. The paper is almost fully detached from the cardboard and could either be re-glued or removed for framing, depending on buyer preference. Asking $500

7) Late 1960s Chevrolet advertising agency mockup of a proposed print ad – “Chevrolet’s Turbo-Jet V8s are what put the Soup in Super Sporting”. Features the Camaro SS and Chevelle SS 396. I believe this was produced by Campbell Ewald (Chevy’s main ad agency at the time but am not certain). The piece is made as a ‘collage’ of images cut / pasted from various catalogs and magazines, along with hand-drawn simulated text. The images have been cut out extremely precisely and this would have taken considerable time to produce. Measures approximately 10 ¼” by 14” and in good condition overall. It does have some wrinkling / corner damage on the right side. Asking $500

8) Late 1960s Chevrolet advertising agency mockup of a proposed print ad – “Chevrolet Builds them Healthier”. Features the Nova SS 350, Camaro SS and Chevelle SS 396. I believe this was produced by Campbell Ewald (Chevy’s main ad agency at the time but am not certain). The piece is made as a ‘collage’ of images cut / pasted from various catalogs and magazines, along with hand-drawn simulated text. The images have been cut out extremely precisely and this would have taken considerable time to produce. Measures approximately 14” by 20 1/2” (Large!). It appears that at least one cut out figure is missing on the upper left and another figure has been torn in a few places (lady with camera). Despite the damage, it is still a very unique item overall. Asking $350

9) Oldsmobile design studio sketch of what appears to be a Cutlass (?). Dated 1968 and signed by the designer Geza Loczi. Measures 8 ½” by 11”. Good condition for its age overall – it has staple holes on all corners where it was tacked up for design review. A few small tears around the edges but nothing major. – Asking $500

10) Sketch of a General Motors Coupe (likely Oldsmobile) dated 10-19-1968 and signed by the designer Geza Loczi. I have two similar listed in this ad – this one has the silver roof. Measures 8 ½” by 11”. Staple holes on all corners where it was tacked up for design review originally. Has a large crease / bend along the upper edge, as well as a small corner bend on the upper right. These flaws would be minimized if framed. – Asking $350

11) Sketch of a General Motors Coupe (likely Oldsmobile) dated 11-6-1968 and signed by the designer Geza Loczi. I have two similar listed in this ad – this one has the black roof. Measures 8 ½” by 11”. Staple holes on all corners where it was tacked up for design review originally. Good condition for its age overall with some very small edge tears and other light wear - Asking $350

12) Chrysler Design studio sketch illustration of a 3-passenger utility pick-up. Sketch is dated 1972 and signed by Munoz (unsure of first name). It is a Mopar vehicle but I am unsure whether it was intended to be a Chrysler, Dodge or Plymouth. Fantastic original piece of design art. Measures approximately 10 ¼” by 20”. It has staple holes on the corners where it was pinned up for design review. Has larger bends on the lower corners with multiple creases, though this would be minimized if framed. Asking $175
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    What a treasure trove! Wish I had more wall space.

#9 (the last photo) seems to be the rear end of a 1969 Cutlass. I owned one back in the day. The roof, however, seems to be from the previous generation (1966-1967).

3. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks! Wish I had more wall space as well :)

4. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Adding another rare and special piece - Original Sunbeam 16hp advertising painting circa approximately 1930. I am including an original 1930 Sunbeam catalog - as you can see, this painting is extremely close but not exact to the final one used in this particular brochure. Stamps on the rear read "Property of Sunbeam Motor Company and must be returned with impressions of block"

Painting measures approximately 5 1/2" by 10" and is mounted to cardboard measuring 6 1/4" by 10 1/2" overall. It appears that it originally had a matting and there is some wear around the edges where this was removed previously. The actual painting area is in excellent condition and all damage would be covered if framed.

Brochure has 40 pages and is in good condition for its age overall. It does have water and insect damage (small holes) to the covers and first inside pages.

Asking $1200 usd for the pair, including shipping with tracking within North America. Happy to ship worldwide at extra cost.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Incredible collection! WOW!

6. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Adding an exceptional hand-made illustration of an aircraft engine. This piece was made by noted Ford employee George de Angelis (Google his fascinating career) and is signed by him on the lower right / dated 11/9/1946.

The level of realistic detail in this illustration is beyond belief and this would have taken many tedious hours to produce. Every nut, bolt and wire has been painstakingly included. Note the silhouette of an aircraft near the left corner.

The illustration is guaranteed original / authentic from 1946 and is pencil on 'onion skin' type paper. The piece was recently professionally matted in a dark charcoal grey. This was done to replace the original cardboard border mat which was badly torn / stained. The actual illustration has a border of glue residue around it from the removal of this original mat, but this is not at all visible under the current mat. The actual image visible is in excellent condition with no tears, staining, etc.

This is a very cool piece to frame or even display as-is. A great conversation piece for any room.

Measures approximately 12 1/2" by 14 1/4". The actual image visible is roughly 7" by 9". Asking $250 USD including shipping within North America.

***Other pieces are still available as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    One more unique piece - This is an original Jaguar XK-120 factory photograph which has been hand-colored by a Jaguar company illustrator (exact age / history unknown). Circa approximately 1950s. Professionally framed in a quality metal frame with a simulated wood finish (replaced the original frame that was damaged). Spectacular piece for any Jaguar enthusiast! Full frame measures 8 1/2" by 12" and is 1" thick. Photo portion is approximately 5 3/4" by 9 1/4". Excellent condition.

Asking $275 USD including shipping within North America.

Other pieces still available as well

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login