Virginia goes after Out-of-State License Plates | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Virginia goes after Out-of-State License Plates

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by toggie, Aug 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    What is the personal property tax on it each year?

2. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    #52 ProRallyCodriver, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    In NoVa police go around and ticket cars w/ out-of-state tags parked on street overnight and then owners need to prove their innocence. What, I can't come from MD or DC or college and spend the night at a girlfriends house without my car being cited. Then they blockade developments in the mornings checking license plates and you have to say 'I was banging a mistress here' to go to you dayjob.

Lets look at this from the cause. People register their vehicle elsewhere becuz VA are tax-Nazis. Its their own fault and if it wasn't, then people wouldn't be registering vehicles elsewhere.

3. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    In Fairfax ---
    How is my property tax calculated?

The current tax rate is $4.57 per $100 of assessed value. To compute the tax on an item assessed at $5,000, divide the assessed value by 100 and multiply by the tax rate:

($5,000 ÷ 100) x $4.57 = $228.50

Are there exceptions to the tax rate?
    Yes. The following are currently taxed at a rate of one cent per $100: antique automobiles with antique or permanent vintage license plates, certified van pool vehicles, vehicles equipped for the transportation of persons with disabilities, some vehicles owned by members of volunteer fire and rescue squads and auxiliary police, vehicles owned by certain elderly and disabled individuals, aircraft and flight simulators, and homeowner associations furniture, office and maintenance equipment. Mobile homes are taxed at the real estate tax rate.

Personal Property Tax Relief Act of 1998

• The Personal Property Tax Relief Act of 1998 provides tax relief for any passenger car, motorcycle, or pickup or panel truck having a registered gross weight of less than 7,501 pounds. The vehicle must be owned or leased by an individual and NOT used for business purposes
    Vehicles qualified for tax relief are noted on your tax bill and show a reduction for the portion of the tax the Commonwealth will pay. For qualified vehicles; your tax bill is reduced by the applicable tax relief percentage for the tax year on the first $20,000 of value. Fairfax County will be reimbursed by the Commonwealth for the amount of the reduction shown on your bill. If your qualifying vehicle's assessed value is $1,000 or less, your tax has been eliminated and the Commonwealth's share is 100%. Tax relief is calculated using Fairfax County's effective tax rate ($4.57 per $100 of assessed value) in effect on August 1, 1997.
    So all you need is a sales receipt for $19,999.00 on the new Lambo and your good to go....,

4. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Besides the newsflash Fairfax mayor charged w/ meth for sex corruption, as a parent of autistic child I will leave this gem here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/death-of-severely-autistic-man-following-police-encounter-is-ruled-an-accident/2016/08/05/c170f35c-5b35-11e6-9aee-8075993d73a2_story.html[/URL}

How does locate become detain with abrasions? Fairfux finest.

When I was stuck by another motorist, Fairfux finest eventually arrived and the police report was misspelled, the officer accepted insurance documents from other driver belonging to different vehicle for insurance exchange report and typo-ed that policy #. Idiots! Then refused getting the correct information.

5. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    This thread reminds me of a tax-happy politician name kerry who docked his yacht in a neighboring state so he could pay more taxes....or maybe I have that wrong :D

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    #56 Solid State, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Ron - Scarier and sooner than you think perhaps. A federal law became active in 2008 called the Tread Act which mandated a low tire pressure indicator on all new vehicles sold in the US. The method of choice for the OEMs has become the cheap tire pressure sensor or TPS in each tire valve stem. The device contains a two-way radio to communicate air pressure, temperature, and other data to an ECU in the car. Generally the antenna pickup is in the rear windshield (a set of wires in the glass). When excited by an external AM band radio signal, the sensor will transmit its data in the FM band a short distance (up to 30 ft.). There is no encryption and the waveform and protocol is public domain.

What's important here is that every single TPS sensor transmits a unique ID as part of the data. That ID can represent you directly. You have four of them (one for each tire). Correlating that ID to you gives an inherent ability to track your whereabouts. Presently, states have been installing AM exciters on off-ramps and on-ramps to collect traffic density data. If the car transmits back then it is counted. If the state were to correlate the unique IDs to you the owner, then you can/will be tracked accurately. Correlation can be conducted easily during the mandated vehicle inspection when the emissions data is read over your OBD port. This is just one simple way (there are many others) where the wireless and wired systems already present in your vehicle can easily be used for tracking without mandating additional devices. Are we already being tracked in some states??

7. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    #57 DonJuan348, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    As many have said, this is a way to collect more tax to misspend. Living a state that doesn't view vehicles as tax ,I understand why many try to avoid paying this tax

What are snowbirds suppose to do? they spend much of their time in another state.

Im glad i no longer live in VA

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    $4.57 per $100 NADA assessed value annually

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    They don't care what you paid, it is based on NADA

10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You can appeal by filling out a simple form with some justification. I've never been turned down and done it three times based on current ask prices twice and diminished value once. Most have no idea it's even possible, but I paid $130k for my 599 and they assessed it at $180k or something, which gave me enough motivation to seek some remedy. My 599 was diminished due to front end collision some 6 years prior to purchase.

11. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    What you state is true for most states but obviously not for VA. So you could garage/store your non daily car in other .
    state and it SHOULD be perfectly

12. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sure, I think. If you have an LLC in Montana with agent of record and they have no requirement the car ever be in Montana, then you should be able to get a garage just across the state line, any state line and garage it there 185 days a year and be perfectly legal. Unless of course the state you garage in has a similar law wherein if the car is garaged there more than half the year, you owe tax.

13. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    It's all about the money and average Joe can't win against government . If I had to pay yearly tax on my vehicles ...I doubt if I would own anything valued at more than $1k as my one friends has . He was caught once with his 458 and now he garages it in Maryland with Montanan plates and drives 2000 Audi.

14. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Most states have laws against having multiple drivers licenses. California goes after people with out of state plates aggressively. They even have a hotline to report neighbors with out of state plates.

15. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree. In my county, I was told by the tax people that value for years 2 and onward is based on Jan 1 NADA quote. In response to an earlier posting, several years ago I actually had the assessed value on a Forester go up when the market for that car temporarily increased. As for brand new vehicles, I was told that value is not based on what you paid, but 90% of the MSRP for the first calendar year or ownership whether you owned the car for 1 day or 364 days.

16. Replevin

Replevin Karting

Oct 29, 2014
    Washington, DC
    Not to be contrarian, but the problem here is simply that this is an annoying thing/way to tax. Virginia's income tax rates are significantly less than DC or MoCo (with no car tax). I'd rather pay 4% less on my income and then 4.5% on my car. Unless you don't have any earned income, the car tax is not a bad trade-off.

17. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Spot on. I was a FL resident for a long time. Registering my cars was a $250 one-time fee with no annual inspections or taxes, but the initial sales tax was more than double that of VA. Not to mention that my property taxes would make a Scandinavian clutch their pearls. It's all about trade-offs, as low taxes for one thing mean the taxes for something else are probably higher.

18. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well perhaps but I think CA is the worst of all. High sales taxes, cities and state, high income tax, high fuel taxes (combined poor roads and high fuel costs) and high auto registration costs. So tax wise perhaps the most taxed although NY is right in there as well.

19. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    There will always be apples and oranges. I've done my comparison calculations, though. So have my friends. Economically, it's FAR better to not live in the District. In some cases, they've decided to live there, anyway, even though their total tax bill is higher than had they remained in NoVA.

CW

20. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    This would make a great financial calculator type of website.
    You would enter the answers to about 10 questions and it would tell you the best State to live in based on that input.

The questions would be things like: annual pay income, annual investment income, value of house, total value of all cars, miles driven per year (for fuel tax), money spent monthly at restaurants (for meal taxes), etc.

They could even drill down to the best Counties to live in within a State.

I wonder if such a website already exists?

21. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well the reality low taxes are only one reason to live or not live in an area. Generally that is not primary and overriding reason to pick an area to live. But when we pay high taxes and have lots of burdensome regulations and still elect to live there all we can do is karp about them or leave.

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Agreed. It takes about five or ten years to get tired of the state you're in. Sometimes less. Could be the schools, roads, taxes, diversity, weather, politics, salaries, traffic, etc. Nothing really stopping you from just moving instead of complaining. Try something new. Also, don't seem to have liked states that use the north/south cutesy abbreviations like SoCal, NoVA, etc. Some states need to get over themselves.

23. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There's also adaptation. Shift in VA politics bothered me for years until I just turned it off except when I'm at the polls. Traffic is horrible, so I've shaped my life that I don't commute normal hours, big deal. As for taxes, I've heard repeatedly over the years that its 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. Move to MD, they exact about the same toll just by slightly different methods. Don't like the car tax, don't change cars often and drive older models which I've been doing lately. Schools in Loudoun are solid. Roads are solid. Lots of cops but again, you learn to live with it. I haven't had a ticket stick in 13 years and I'm pretty aggressive, I just stay within the limits. VA is a wonderful state, wonderful home. You can find reasons to complain anywhere, or you can adapt a little, bend a little.

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Oh we "bend" a little... :)

25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I just looked up the rates and I don't see a 4% difference, both MD and VA tax the same over $250K (5.75%). MD taxes an additional ~$12K. I could be wrong but this is what I see online.

It is not about paying your fair share, it is about abusing your constituents. When this happens people will look for ways around the law i.e. Montana LLC's.

In regards to moving, I guess I can and have thought about it especially with libs coming from MD and taking over. DC to PG, PG to Montgomery, Montgomery to NoVA. Yeah

If I had the balls I would move to SC or FL to stretch out my fishing and golf seasons, I keep threatening to do so but there are other more important factors that hold me back.