Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Must be an angle effect on the picture. Flywheel stayed the same all the time. Would be a hassle to change it, because it is balanced together with the crank. We experimented quite a bit to make all the clutch components fit though, but it works fine now......

2. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

#252 JulianMerak, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe they were black oxide finish and the external vent was then fine crackle black
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

#253 JulianMerak, Mar 30, 2017
  4. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

#254 JulianMerak, Mar 30, 2017
  5. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

#255 JulianMerak, Mar 30, 2017
  6. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Re dual disc clutch. when you say you experimented can you advise more details? . I am getting ready to replace the dual clutch in my Ghibli so any tips or advise would be appreciated. The clutch has always had a slight drag in it which made it difficult to get into gear when stopped. I was thinking of shimming the pressure plate to eliminate this. I had to do this on some other cars with dual disc clutch but this is the first Maserati

7. lussoman

lussoman Karting

Sep 7, 2008
    Hi Gene,

I have a dual clutch on my Mexico, very early car #32, and had a heck of time getting the clutch to work properly after a rebuild.
    Like you experienced, the clutch does not fully disengage and can really be tricky trying to get it into gear while stopped.

I found a NOS dual clutch plate from MIE and had the flywheel surfaced. The solution that I developed is a spacer at the slave cylinder mount which give the actuator rod in the cylinder more travel. This set up increases the disengage travel and moves the clutch further from the flywheel. The spacer is about 1/4" and is machined from aluminum plate.

Also the clutch plates have to be set up just right, lots of trial and error.

Chris Rose

8. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Chris, Thanks for your comments. I was able to get a NOS clutch kit from MIE as well. The spacer sounds like a good approach. I know on some Ferraris with the dual clutch some have put 1mm spacers under the pressure plate to space it out.

9. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hi Gene, sorry, but i can't elaborate on the fine tuning of the clutch yet. We had to shave off some metal on the clutch plate to make it all fit with the gearbox and the bellhousing (thats what i meant with experimenting...), but the engine is just in the process of being fitted to the car, so no fine tuning in operation yet....

10. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    Thanks JulianMerak and others. I think i'm gonna agree with JulianMerak that the outside vents were wrinkle paint and the inner 'shutter discs' (for lack of better word) were black oxide. Wrinkle paint on the discs would cause quite a bit of friction where you wouldn't want to have that.

Thanks,
    bart

11. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    I just pulled the vents on my 1969 Ghibli which are original. There are finished with a fine wrinkle paint on the outside and a black oxide on the shutter part

12. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #262 lbird, Apr 3, 2017
    By the way @mike: We manufactured the water pipe according to your input and measurements, it holds tight and fits perfectly. We adapted the diameters according to the hoses that fit on the manifold and the other connectors - thanks for providing help when needed!

13. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Another quick question: We are a bit puzzled where we can get the necessary vacuum for the brake servo. Normally it should be somewhere on the manifold but we could not find any suitable connection. Can somebody provide input where the vacuum is normally found?

14. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    Thanks for providing the definitive answer Eogorman!
    Bart

15. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello lbird...

On my Mexico, there are two places where vacuum for the brakes is obtained. If I remember
    correctly, on the drivers side it is at the front of the intake manifold and on the passenger
    side it is at the rear of the intake manifold. Also, these vacuum hoses join to a Y pipe, which
    in turn connects to the vacuum tank..

Table 26 of the QP1 parts manual shows the vacuum tank. Our intake manifolds are the
    same as seen in the Ghibli parts manual, table 9. In it you will sort of see where the two vacuum attachment points are.

I will verify this later this evening or tomorrow, and if you need some pictures, let me know.

Mike

16. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello lbird....

Haven't heard back from you regarding the intake manifold vacuum ports..
    Did you figure it out, or do you need more info?

Mike

17. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Sorry for answering late, was pretty busy. The QP1 drawings are not right (at least for our manifold), but we figured it out by blowing air through the different hoses. We have made a mistake at first and thought they were part of the water circulation, but now it is sorted. Engine is in the car, sensors and electrics attached. We are working on the gearbox mounting at the moment. Thanks for the hints again, will post some pictures soon. A very happy easter to everyone!

18. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Yes, the intake manifold on the QP1 drawings is not like the Mexico. The Mexico
    intake manifold is virtually identical to that of the early Ghibli (Table 9 of the Ghibli parts
    manual). However, the vacuum tank is the same as the QP1, at least on my car...

Mike

19. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #269 lbird, Apr 14, 2017
  20. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello lbird.. The car is looking great! Questions for you... The pictures showing the
    engine in the car show 2 relays on the driver side next to the horn compressor.
    Is this how your car came? I think the Mexico parts manual indicates 1 relay.
    Can you confirm the Bosch part number on these relays? Also, if you purchased
    these relays, where did you find them?

Thanks...

Mike

21. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #271 lbird, Apr 16, 2017
    Hi Mike,

my car came with two relays as far as i know from my old pictures. I attached a picture of another series 2 car that is just a couple of chassis numbers away from mine where i also see two relays. I think we kept the original ones but i am not 100% sure. I will try to find out if we used replacements and if yes, what kind....

22. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    @Mike: We kept the original relays, they were checked and are still in good shape. If you need new ones: I don't think Bosch makes them with the metal covers anymore, what you could try is getting the exact part number from your old ones and translate them into english relays, they are still available with metal covers (e.g. from Lucas).

23. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #273 lbird, Apr 18, 2017
    Another detailing question: The washer bag. Did every Mexico had a washer bag and not a bottle? If yes, is the position of the bag the correct one on the right hand side between the fuel filter and the ignition coil (see picture)?
    And finally: Where can i get such a washer bag? If i researched correctly it should be a bag from Foredit.....

And the bonus question for the real Mexico nerds: The mechanical pump for the wiper water in the footwell has cable connections. From my point of view it just switches on or off, but we have four cables ending there, two orange ones and a green and red one. Does anybody know how this switch works exactly and why it needs four cables? Does it probably automatically switch the wipers on when you pump water?

24. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    #274 bj69, Apr 18, 2017
    Hi Lbird,

Hoping you are or have someone more clever than me to interpret this electrical diagram from the Mexico/QP use and maintenance manual. You see the motor, the dash switch and foot pump drawn here with the 4 wires.

I stared at the diagram for 10 minutes but cannot figure out what's going on!

(and note there's a another setup with 2 wires)

Bart

25. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    Yes, it's the Foredit bag you should buy. They're listed on the web all over.

On my car the bag is actually on the other side of the engine. But then i don't have the power steering there. So the layout in your photo may be correct forcars with power assisted steering.