What a great ass! | FerrariChat

What a great ass!

Discussion in '360/430' started by jwbond, Feb 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jwbond

jwbond Karting

Apr 9, 2006
    I've never seen a 430 with the carbon fiber rear. It looks great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-430-?cmd=ViewItem&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6543092068264548309&_trksid=p5197.m7&item=130653338902#vi-content

It's a shame they went overboard with the carbon fiber and did it on the engine...c'mon man ferrari red on the engine all the way!

This is the first I've come across. Is the carbon fiber rear pretty rare or is it just 07'+ years? (I've primarily look at 05 and 06).

Can this be done after market as well or is it too involved?

2. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Nope. Can be done. Def not standard from factory. If you look closely the expansion tank belongs to a standard F430. The Scud has an additional carbon panel cover on it. The airbox covers also look aftermarket and not Scud spec.

The intake plenum can be purchased. Not cheap but possible.

3. jwbond

jwbond Karting

Apr 9, 2006
    Oh, I thought it was an option from the factory! Thanks for clarifying. I guess it is an aftermarket rear to make it look more like the scud?

4. jwbond

jwbond Karting

Apr 9, 2006
    Looking at the sticker pic on the dealers site it shows "Rear carbon fiber" as an option. You sure that's not from the factory?

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Beleive the rear is factory, but not the carbon bits in the engine like the plenum.

6. Spyder631

Spyder631 Karting

The carbon fiber rear (challenge grill) is a factory option. It may not have been available on the 05s (not sure) but certainly on 06s forward. It is fairly cost prohibitive to add it later as it requires a different bumper cover. In 360s, the challenge grill is pretty easy to install after the fact; not so on the 430s.

7. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I believe the "Rear Segment in Carbon" option is the rear bumper/CF grill you're talking about. It's a factory option with a different rear bumper and grill that some owners have changed on their regular 430 after the fact. I've been looking into this for my "regular" rear end, but with the factory parts, it's kind of pricey (much, much more than the option cost). I'm not sure but the "Boot Compartment in Carbon" (5 figure option) may be some of the engine compartment carbon. The photo in the Car Certificate (factory build photos) shows the red intake plenum so the carbon intake and airbox may (or may not) have been added after.
    Different 430 sticks with different options make it harder to decide!

8. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    CF rear grill was a factory option. It costs a lot to retrofit one on a 430. IIRC from previous threads on this topic, around $10K.

I have also seen standard 430s with factory CF engine bays including plenums.

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I've seen a few rear challenge CF grills on the 430, and it looks amazing.
    But agreed, to do it from stock costs $$$$

10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    meh. I don't mind the CF rear panel on 430s, but its not a that big of an improvement/change.

I can also take or leave the engine CF bits.

That said, I'm hunting an 09 scud which had that and more in CF. So, whatever, it comes with it....so fine. But I think this whole CF trim thing is WAY overplayed and certainly not worth the $$ that the options cost. I'm considering ordering a California, and have decided to skip virtually all of the CF bits inside and out (except the CF steering wheel with LEDS).

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I agree that CF is sometimes overdone, but if it's for a purpose then yes.
    E.g. In my Elise that I tracked, everything was CF...great weight savings.
    For a Ferrari, the CF looks great and has purpose on a Scud.
    In a California I agree CF has no real purpose other than aesthetics.

12. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    Me no like that rear.

13. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I also prefer the more fluid look of the stock bumper, although I guess the vented CF insert might vent engine heat better.

14. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    That appears to be a factory cf engine bay set, I purchased one last year. Air boxes look just like mine (3 contours across the top and no plastic collars at MAF end like scud) and probably have the horns although tough to see in picture. I don't have the decals on the left side drip panels, so either kit came with car or the owner peeled and re-stuck the engine info decals. My air boxes yellowed badly and had to be replaced under warranty.