What is the best sports car with 4 seats for 60k or less??

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by jmbarba76, Apr 28, 2012.

1. I have started the new week 1 FerrariChat Update poll, please vote... http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrarichat-com-update-week-1-poll.560487/
  1. jmbarba76

jmbarba76 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Joe B
    Doesnt necessarily have to be a Ferrari. Porsche 911, 928, Maserati Quattroporte, Ferrari 456, Mondial? What would you guys chose and why?

2. ross

ross Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you can get a 456gt, or a 456mgta for that kind of money. its not as good a sportscar as a 911, but at least you dont see yourself coming and going all the time.

3. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    Audi S5.

I've got an '05 S4 Convertible and it's a blast to drive-high torque V8, AWD, and loads of well designed creature comforts.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Pepper Pike
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sports cars have two seats.

That aside... if you want a Ferrari with a back seat, I'd agree the 456 is a good option in that price range.

Audi S5 is also a great car, though not really a sports car.

5. jmbarba76

jmbarba76 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Joe B
    Is a Porsche twin turbo a "sports car"?

6. Bullfighter

Silver Subscribed Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Pepper Pike
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes.

But a Maserati Quattroporte is a sedan.

7. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  8. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've been thinking about the same thing (4 seat sports cars). At the moment, I've got a Boxter and the 355 Spider, and my wife doesn't drive. When the time comes, and we need 4 seats, it's going to be either a 993 "S" or a 997 4S (or GTS). (really like the looks of the wide-body 911's)

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If you want a raw sports cars with a real vintage feel its the Mondial hands down. It is basically a 308/328/348 with two inches on the wheelbase.

10. anunakki

anunakki Four Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its not really a *sports car* but the E46 M3 would be my choice.

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I have a 456M and it's a true sports car with four seats, as long as you don't plan on using the rear seats for anything other than a gym bag or two. Seriously, only small children would fit back there, and only so long as the people in front are short... or the kids are amputees. lol.

If you really need FUNCTIONAL rear seats, choose a small sedan like a 3-series Bimmer. They handle great and your rear seat passengers won't think you hate them.

Cheers,

George

12. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #11 jgoodman, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1.

Mid engine, revs to 7000, gated shifter, plenty of room for stuff, and you'll have plenty of money left over. Your kids will love it!!!!! :)
    j w f.jpg
    jwf 2.jpg
    j w f 3.jpg

13. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Nissan GTR?

14. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  15. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2002
    The only real sports car with 4 seats is an old Jaguar Mark 2 sedan. I would also consider an old Maserati Quattroporte. I'm talking early 60's vintage.

16. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Caddy CTSV ? Faster, more reliable, new, & cheaper to fix than everything you posted

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2005
    Best in terms of performance would be a 996 Turbo, available for around $35k, and you can have 600+ reliable HP for $10k more. And comfortable enough to drive every day. You just can't beat that.

Next, I would look at a 200-2002 AM DB7 Volante....12 cylinder, elegant interior, stylish cruiser. Looking at one on autotrader with 17k miles.

18. bkhko

bkhko Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2011
    HKG
    Full Name:
    Koby
    997 for versatility and driving enjoyment

GTR for outright performance. (but don't expect much frm the rear headroom)

19. donv

donv F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Mercedes 300SEL 6.3?

More realistically, how about a Maserati GranSport?

20. Bullfighter

Silver Subscribed Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Pepper Pike
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Nissan Maxima is the 4-Door Sports Car (TM).

21. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Terra
    The best sports car with four seats is the Porsche 911 variants, period, but it depends on how much room do you need in the back. A Cayenne will keep your occupants at a safer ride height within this country full of tanks at ninety mph.

22. rdefabri

rdefabri Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Ha! I had one - lots of fun too!

23. rdefabri

rdefabri Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Since I've been having a bit of a professional mid-life crisis, I thought of getting a 993 / 996 / 997. I currently drive a GS400 - plenty of room, quality, and semi-sporty (rather quick too), but it's getting long in the tooth.

I'm no Porschephile, but I've heard the 996 in terms of quality is pretty poor, and you'd be wise to stay away - is that not true?

24. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Terra
    It has been for some folks and I hear it's not if the engine will blow, but when...

Now in real life I haven't seen the 996 cars to be problematic. I had a 2001 that was bulletproof and also a 2001 turbo and just the same. My brother a 996 C4s and it was wonderful. I know someone with 2001 996 Carrera that was a track car since day one, he did over 60,000 miles of track use before he replaced the engine.

25. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I wouldn't call the seats in the back of a 911 real seats either. You can't beat the M3. It is probably faster around a track than a 911 anyways. Ha.

26. ross

ross Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thats a good steer - i should have thought of that! love that whole range.

27. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    The M3 must surely be among the very best overall packages, but for style and sound - and the added bonus of rarity - few can beat a Maserati Coupe or Gran Sport :)

28. Photog

Photog Formula 3

Sep 24, 2009
    Kansas City, Mo
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I second the Nissan GTR.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

29. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    +1 for the underrated Mondial. Not quite as earthy as earlier 3x8's but certainly a genuine Ferrari with a superb engine and four seats. It's certainly more sporty than many of the Beemer, Maser & Porsche comfort-wagons described so far.

30. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    For just over 40K you have the Boss 302 Mustang
    For just over 50K you have the Vette

31. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2005
    That is incorrect for the Metzger engined cars (Turbo, GT2, GT3) which won their class in LeMans in 1998.

I AM a Porschephile, and I would not buy a regular 996 or 997. Screw it, after having a Turbo for the last 6.5 years I wouldn't buy ANY regular 911 after 1973.

32. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    4 seat and sport car.....

Convertible....

AMG Merc Benz CLK, Ferrari Mondial, Ford Mustang, Porsche 911.

Each have different maintance costs and insurance costs.

Mustang has endless after-market support to customize.

AMG most likely the quickest to 100 mph.

Porsche most likely quickest through a salom.

Ferrari the best to drive.

So define best?

Are you looking for a car to drive your family around? Car for son or daughter? A daily driver?

33. DGS

DGS Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #31 DGS, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    For under 60K?
    Well used, maybe. A new one will run you 90-110K

But for new under 60K, don't forget the obvious: Mitsu EVO.

A new, top end EVO X MR is about 40K, has the paddle shifters, four seats, and a lot of handling performance.
    If you want to stir it yourself, the EVO X GSR is under 40K, fully loaded.

My EVO VIII is a pretty raw beast. I'm told the X is a more refined car, but with even better cornering.

I've been debating over updating to an X, before they bring out the XI as a diesel hybrid. :(

I looked at the GTR, but the price and the weight turned me back. The X is heavier than my VIII, but the GTR is significantly heavier than the EVO X. It's got more HP, too, but in the city, light = nimble.

34. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    if a seat is defined as being confortable enough for an adult regardless whether it is located in front or in back

a car with four seats, in two rows, suitable for 4 adults is considered a sedan

a car considered to be a sports car has two seats, smaller, better handling, better performance ( more powerful ) allowing it to be driven in spirited / enthusiastic manner

there is NO such thing as a 4 seat sports car, if we use the accepted definition, a 4 seat car becomes a sedan, include some performance and it become a sports sedan, of which there are many offerings at all levels of performance by almost all manufacturers

35. Bullfighter

Silver Subscribed Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Pepper Pike
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agreed.

The sports car continuum probably starts with extreme things like the Ariel Atom, then Lotus Elise/Exige, then edges into Porsche Boxster/Ferrari 458 Spyder territory, and probably fades out somewhere around the Porsche 911 where the grand tourer concept ("Granturismo", 456 "GT", 599 "GTB" etc.) adds more luxury to the equation.

As soon as you're talking about 4 seats, big boot, etc., you're into "sports coupe" territory, which BMW invented with the 2002 and 3 series.

Good choices in both categories, but different purposes in life. I've had both in the garage, because life without a sports car is less interesting, no matter how good the daily driver is.

36. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2005
    So a 997 Turbo ISN'T a sportscar? Can't drive it in a spirited manner? 500 hp isn't enough horsepower? $3,000 will get you 60 more hp. Still not enough? 50 years of Porsche sportscar excellence is laughing all the way to the bank over your "accepted definition".

And BTW, a sedan is classed by the number of doors. A 4 seat car with 2 doors is a coupe....unless its a kick-ass sportscar.

37. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    a 997 is not a "4 seat car", in the same manner that a Ferrari California is not a 4 seat car

a sedan is NOT determined by the number of doors,

38. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Is a McLaren F1 considered to be a Sports Car (hint 230+ MPH, 0-60 in 3.4 sec)
    It seats 3.

39. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    actually, it is, the seats are in a single row, which is a configuration discussed in several definitions of what constitues a sports car

40. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2005
    So what are those things with seat belts behnd my head?.....LOL

They aren't the most comfortable seats in the world, but have taken adults on short drives to lunch/dinner numerous times

And they are FAR roomier than those on the Jaguar XK or Lexus SC.

I concede the exact definition of sedan can be 2 or 4 doors.....

41. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2005
    So an F150 Lightning pickup with a bench seat, because I can seat 4 accross, is now a sportscar? It seems to meet all your requirements (high performance, can drive spiritedly, handles quite well). Your outdated opinions are losing the battle.

42. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    phunny how you can make up your own definitions that don't coincide with those in the rest of the world...

the F150 is designed as work vehicle / truck, its' size is too large to qualify for a sports car... 4 across seating...really... I don't recall any F150 with 4 seat belts across the front seats NASCAR has a series to race them... what ever you are on is giving you quite an imagination

43. Isobel

Isobel F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is
    Since no one has mentioned it, an Evora comes to mind...;)

44. Doctor7474

Doctor7474 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
    Get a Raptor...

Seats six easily
    Goes like stink in a straight line
    Handles very well for a truck
    Handles better than anything stock off road
    Cheap maintenance wise
    Hauls stuff
    Looks good
    Can tow everything else you have

Or if I were looking for something in that range daily driver wise and not a truck CTS V Wagon six speed...

45. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2005
    Real funny (spelled correctly) since you Mitt Romney'ed your way through the whole thread.

First it was "Sportscars only have 2 seats, period"

Then you get lit up on the 997 Turbo

Then it was "those really aren't 4 seaters"

News to the worlds insurance companies

Then someone blows you up on the 3 seat McLaren

Then you change your mind to "3 seats accross is another (made up) defnition"

I'm going to bow out of this silly exchange since it veered way off topic.

I'll stick with the recommendations of 996 Turbo and DB7 Volante as true 4 seat sportscars the OP should consider.

46. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    good plan...return to your fantasy land and enjoy the rest of the day

47. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Bring it in! Bring it in!

You guys are all over the place out there.

Best sportscar under $60K with four seats.

456 M GT Hands down.

Real Ferrari front engined V-12 with a six speed. 6' 200 lb. guys can ride in back for hour stints, and enjoy their luxurius surroundings with no problem, despite what an earlier poster said about amputees.

48. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    like the car well, great ride, the 12 cylinder engine makes the right noises, it's all good...
    for a sedan :=)

49. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Not too sure of the 456 for DD duties.

Porsche 911 variants are the likely best 4 seat performers for under 60k.
    However the rear seats are hardly rear seats. Great DD.

GTR cannot be had for under 60k. Like 911, rear seats are rubbish.
    Supercar performance.

M3 is the best overall car that fits the sportiness, decent rear seats, good performance, and DD use.

If you want more straight line power, acceleration and luxury Merc C63 AMG. This is a true American Muscle car, but made by Germany. You will not stop smiling after stomping on the throttle. Exhilarating. The M3 has more precise handling and a superb gearbox and will likely post better laptimes with the same driver. The C63 is rarer, tons more torque 443 vs mid 200's and will EAT the M3 at a real world stoplight or freeway onramp, if that is your thing.

Dark horse champion here would be the 2012 BMW 1 series M. Definitely, the funnest Go-kart out there with 4 seats. However good luck finding one.

50. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Nov 5, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Dom V.
    Easy. Ferrari 308GT4. Raw sportscar feeling. Carbs. Fun, fun, fun. Get one while the prices are so low.

51. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Nov 9, 2008
    Alta Loma, CA
    Full Name:
    Edward
    All-around best 4 seater = E60 M5

It's my DD, and suits everything I need from driving to work, lugging golf clubs around, 2 baby car seats in the back, and nothing like the sound of a V10 (5 seater)

52. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    a real sports car is a 2-seater only, convertible with fold down windshield and side curtains instead of roll up windows, although if you put the side curtains it may lose its sport car status.

Every thing else is just hoping to be a sports car but will be much faster, better handling and more reliable than the sports car.

I would say the Mondial is closest to the original posters answer.

And yeah as the decades progressed, the real definition of "sports car" has been modified heavily to the point that the real question is "what is sporty nowdays?"