What watch are you wearing today? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

What watch are you wearing today?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by VTChris, Sep 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    THAT IS ONE HOT WATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

JIM

2. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
  3. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    #103 michael platzer, Dec 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    #104 piloti, Dec 5, 2007
  5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That is beautiful, Rijk. How old?

Typical architect...car and watch junkie, as I am.

Andy,

I've seen the Stauer watches advertised and while I like the styling of a lot of them, I'm willing to bet the mechanical automatic movements keep lousy time.

Reason: I bought an "CTI" auto-day-date watch off ebay for about $50 including shipping...retail price tag in the box is $250. It's a very stylish watch and I wear it all the time, but it loses a couple of minutes a day. I'm sure the mechanical movements are mass-produced in China.

Advice: For a hundred bucks, stick to quartz. Ebay's good place to find a deal.

Regarding your profile, at age 13-14 I mowed lawns as well, and had a classy watch on layaway at a local jewelry store...big day when I finally got it. Forget the brand now but they were all mechanical and American or Swiss made back then.

6. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Anyone watch Shopathometv.com? They have a cable show also. Lots of very cool watches, many of which I am not familiar with...but very cool mechanical watches, dirt cheap. The site also has Omegas, Gucci, etc, 30-40% off list. They have some solviet watches, etc also.

Definitely not investment or heirloom quality, but cool watches nonetheless. Check out the site. One of the watches they push is a Gevril...anyone know anything about it?

7. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Scott,

I've been longing for this watch for a long time, but just decided that it was toooooo expensive. On the other hand the exchange rate with the Euro makes that watches that are already in the US right now, are half price compared to the watches currently produced in Germany.

So, taking that into account, it is a good time to buy. Next years batch will go up to the Euro prices.

I was going to settle for the standard Lange 1 gold version, but my wife talked me into this one. She said that every time I would look at the watch, I would think it was great, but at the same time, I would wish I had the Grand Lange 1. My resistance was fierce, but only brief, and I'm happy I caved in.......

At least it is the last watch I will ever buy. There is NO watch on the market that I would rather have, so in the long run, it might be cost effective?

8. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Rijk,

I didn't realize it was a new watch...maybe the digital photo gave it a little "patina"?

Absolutely beautiful, and I agree, if you're going to buy the watch of a lifetime, superb choice and the money really doesn't matter. Definitely cost effective in that perspective...and getting a good deal doesn't hurt either!

9. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Certina 1888 DS Podium

10. procure95

procure95 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    PA, USA
    Full Name:
    Giovanni (John)
  11. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Wow.... I rarely look in on this thread (though am a bit of a collector myself), but I just had to say, that is a *MAGNIFICENT* Patek.... Just WOW.

12. alvin582

alvin582 Karting
    BANNED

Sep 25, 2007
  13. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
  14. Viper25

Viper25 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roland

Nice Patek Sky Moon, but a replica...

15. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    50th anniv submariner :)

16. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks for the sense of direction Scott!

As pathetic as this might sound, I always program my watches to the school time, and of course, after about a day or two, I'm 3-4 seconds off. Its very annoying. Right now I have a Relic with like moving lightning bolts in the background which I got for like 130$. Citizen watches and Swiss Army has caught my attention, but I'll definetly keep my eye out for the Quartz!

17. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

#117 Oengus, Dec 9, 2007
  18. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The price of a mechanical watch has nothing to do with its timekeeping ability.

A $100 mechanical Swatch keeps time as well as any Patek, Lange, Audemars, or Vacheron.

19. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I have my Lange & Sohne now almost two weeks, and I still don't need to adjust the watch. Amazing. I've never had such a precise watch.

20. stephen.cumming

Dec 10, 2007
    always has to be the breitling hercules!

21. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    #121 michael platzer, Dec 11, 2007
  22. Parker

Parker Karting

Mar 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    #122 Parker, Dec 11, 2007
    Rolex Submariner (5513) - Great watch and yes, I do use it when I dive. It has been with me at many unique underwater venues around the world. Never had any trouble with it and it still looks basically brand new.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I just took my Omega Speedmaster off and put on my Swatch. The Omega is going back to the shop for repairs. It ran fine for 15 years then started losing 5 minutes a day so I took it in for repairs, they did a clean , oil and adjustment when I got it back I noticed I couldn't read the dates anymore but since my eyesight is going I thought it was me then I looked with my glasses on and realized the numbers were no longer there on the date wheel. so I brought it back the watchmaker apologized and fixed it, six months later I went swimming with the watch and it leaked so new seals at the crown and buttons. Now after getting it back 2 months ago it is stopping at 11:30 or midnight everynight and the hands fell off the bottom dial. I spoke to another watchmaker who said that it should have been sent back to Omega the first time. Does anyone have any experience with these? My last conversation questioned the watchmakers competency with Omegas the jewelry store assured me he is well known in the area and is very good at what he does. I told them he may be good at fixing Rolex but bassed on this watch he doesn't seem to know jack about Omega and I wish they would have told me that up front.

24. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

If the person who repaired your watch is in California, PM the name and Company he works for, I can verify his credentials.
    The problems you are having with the watch are unacceptable

25. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    They are in Louisiana. And I am with the watch in Nova Scotia right now so I will have to send the watch to my wife in Louisiana and let her see what they intend to do. Right now I think they either need to send it to Omega at their expense or let me pick out at watch equal to the value of what I have spent with them "repairing" this Omega. Right now it's at aboyt $900.. ($575 for the clean , oil and adjustment and $335 for the new seals) Does this seem like a reasonable request? Also I was told by another watchmaker the seals on the crown and buttons should have beenchanged as part of the Clean oil and adjustment service. Does that sound right?