Whatever happened to the Garrison collection? | FerrariChat

Whatever happened to the Garrison collection?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bitzman, Nov 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Greg Garrison cars:
    I know the former TV producer (The Dean Martin show) was a reclusive Ferrari collector, not in terms of showing his cars at public venues but in talking about them; ie. I found that he would only talk to the most knowledgeable people, not someone who was just discovering Ferraris , say, for instance, didn't know at Ghia-bodied Ferrari from a Vignale- bodied one at 100 yards. I saw his cars at several shows. I heard he kept them at his ranch in Montana. I was just wondering when I saw a reference to him on this website what happened to them all—did his children keep some of them, or was there ever a big auction where they were all put on the market at once? I think, recalling the ones I saw over the last ten years, a couple would fall into Massini’s pit of hell where he classifies a car as a "custom" if it was a modern day rebody but others were modified in their original era by “approved” coachbuilders like the '57 250GT. I think he was an astute collector for buying the one-off show cars at a time when other collectors were all scrambling after the race cars. True the race cars are worth more now (i.e. 250GTO probably worth more than all his cars put together) but the one off show cars are still worth more than regular production bodyworked cars, showing he was working in a profitable direction as far as the value of his four wheeled "portfolio".

Here’s the ones I saw in Los Angeles:
    1957 250GT with brushed metal roof and tailfins

-275GTB with some custom touches, #09813 with new chassis built by Vaccari, and with Allegretti rebody, , sold at Monterey in 2007.

Special 400, with wire wheels when the factory was no longer offering wire wheels
    One-off color sort of primrose red

Special 400 with its own bodywork, convertible, dark blue

Here’s a list from the website http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris...ison-obituary/
    where they are pictured:

-Ferrari 250 Europa PF Convertible s/n 0311EU
    - Ferrari 410 Superfast I PF Coupe s/n 0483SA
    -Ferrari 410 Superamerica S1 PF Coupe s/n 0491SA
    - Ferrari 410 Superamerica S2 Scaglietti Berlinetta s/n 0671SA
    -Ferrari 410 Superamerica S2 PF Coupe s/n 0717SA
    - Ferrari 4.9 Superfast PF Coupe s/n 0719SA
    -Ferrari 250 GT PF Coupe Speciale s/n 0725GT
    - Ferrari 250 GT S1 PF Cabriolet s/n 0729GT
    -Ferrari 250 GT LWB TdF Scaglietti Berlinetta s/n 0895GT
    - Ferrari 250 GT PF Coupe Speciale s/n 1187GT
    -Ferrari 410 Superamerica S3 PF Coupe s/n 1311SA
    - Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder s/n 2383GT
    -Ferrari 400 Superamerica S1 PF Cabriolet s/n 2407SA
    - Ferrari 400 Superamerica S1 PF Coupe s/n 2841SA
    -Ferrari 365 California Spyder s/n 9631
    - Ferrari 330 GTC PF Speciale s/n 10241
    - Ferrari 365 GTS/4 s/n 17073 (reportedly last Daytona spyder made)

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #3 El Wayne, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Interestingly, I called Greg up one day out of the blue and ended up speaking to his secretary/assistant. I asked if I could meet with him to discuss his collection, making it clear that I wasn't interested in purchasing or brokering any of his cars. She put me on hold for a few minutes before coming back and setting the appointment.

On the day of the appointment, I drove up to the ranch in Thousand Oaks and met with Greg in his office. The first thing he said to me was, "I know everyone's probably told you what an ******* I am. Well, they're all right." We laughed and then spent the next few hours shooting the **** about his cars, Dean Martin, etc. I never asked to see any of the cars but, as I was leaving, he put his arm around me and told me to come back again sometime so that he could take me over to the barn where they were stored to check them out.

As I was backing my car out, he stopped me and told me to wait while he ran back inside. He came back out with a Ferrari road cars poster mounted on fiberboard that had been hanging in his office (like the one below) and said, "Here, I want to give you something." I graciously took the poster, thanked him, and drove off. We exchanged letters a couple of times after that (he disliked email and preferred to write the old fashioned way) and met up at Pebble Beach every August. Even so, I regret that I could never free up enough time to drive back up to the ranch and check out the cars in the barn.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    I know some of Greg's cars sold at the Gooding auction---does anyone
    have any photos of a visit long ago??

Ken Goldman

4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I always liked the Superfast 0719SA the ex. Norman Silver car. Mr Roush was a fan of that car.
    Still the ultimate was the rebirth of the Superamerica 0671SA. It seems fitting that a car with that styling ended up in Las Vegas...
    CH

5. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    Greg was always nice to me. I remember seeing his Alfa Montreal at Sal di Natale's who also worked on my cars. One day I mentioned to Greg that I'd gone to see a taping of the Dean Martin show and he seemed genuinely disappointed that I hadn't come backstage to say hello. I was still a teenager and hadn't wanted to disturb him but he made it clear I would have been welcome.

donv likes this.
  6. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I suppose that I am obliged to tell this story: When I was president of the FOC (1966), we had a dinner meeting and everyone was outside in the parking lot shooting the breeze. The restaurant manager, in the meantime, was getting annoyed and told me that if we didn't come in for dinner he would cancel our reservation! I was back outside, doing my best to get the members to stop lying about their cars and go in, and in the process I must have inadvertently walked away from Greg as he was telling me something. He was a guy who was used to people obeying him, and he didn't forgive until 1984 when he approached me at the International meet in Century City and said, "I don't remember why I'm mad at you, but I'm still mad". I laughed and told him I remembered, we gave each other a hug, and that was that. But he never did invite me out to his collection!

donv likes this.
  7. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    I love these old stories... thanks for sharing.

8. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    My Giallo Modena 1973 Daytona came from Greg's collection, I talked to him at Pebble about it and he was very nice.

too bad we lost him...

9. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Thanks for a great thread. I have always been interested in the cars of Mr. Garrison. He certainly had great taste. On a side note, he sure did own (at one time or another) a LOT of Superamerica's based on the list above.

Thank You L Wayne, Krasnavian, and Mr. Ed Niles for such great stories. They were great and tell so much about what an interesting guy Mr. Garrison was.

Best,
    Dave

10. coulthardsfriend

Aug 13, 2007
    Long Island,NY
    Full Name:
    Nick L.
    is perhaps my favorite of all Ferrari cars-in it's original color of black with the the prancing horse on the hood (never saw another pic of one with that) and also when the chassis was recovered and sent back to be re-created in burgundy- I cannot believe the car was auctioned for less than 2 million dollars -that of course is alot of money but not comparatively-I could stare at pics of that car for hours and also note the 3x4 barrel webers (tri power) I beleve is the american term-and how lucky Mr Garrison was to find the chassis in Oregon and what a horror story of the thief throwing the body in a lake-that to me is a crime equal to the worst-and I bet when it was rebuilt those craftsman did a better job than originally because of the situation- I know it is a bit late to be responding to the article and a bit random as well but I am discovering these cars one at a time and it seems each one is more and more fabulous and so many different ones in such limited numbers-God Bless---Nick

11. cinnamonflower

Sep 14, 2009
    I used to run into Mr. Garrison at my father's (Bruno Borri) shop on occasion. Mr. Garrison would say to me, "I keep asking your dad to come up to see the collection of cars, but he won't do it, because I won't let him smoke on the ranch. I can't. We've got brush that would immediately catch on fire, and I can't take the risk." One time, my father replied, "Why would I want to drive up to Thousand Oaks to see the cars, when I've worked on every single one here at the shop! I know what they look like!"

donv likes this.
  12. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
  13. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I always had a fascination with his 17073. To own the last Daytona Spider (to me) was the ultimate!

14. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    #15 T308, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We bought 0717 and 2407 out of his Montana storage in 2001. The cars came equipped with a family of rats and "two original tool rolls" consisting of Stanley tools. He was an interesting dude.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
  16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
  17. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    No I bought it from the great Axel Urban in Germany.

18. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Speaking of Greg did anyone that knew him ever hear that he had bought an Iso Grifo spyder? Now before you ever say there ain't no such animal, I have seen it, touched it and almost bought it in Culver City, CA for the price of $22000 in a showroom but decided it was too rusty. The same car is now sitting in a warehouse in Los Angeles where it was stowed by the new owner once Garrison sold it. The SN is 002. I was wondering why Greg never restored it, maybe because it was hit and the center nose divider gone and he didn't have confidence a new nose could be grafted on right since the nose was more like the one off coupe 001 than
    the production Grifos. You would have to have the two cars side by side to insure the repair matched the original. Also he loved Ferraris and back then Isos and Bizzarrinis were looked down on by purists as "tainted" Italian cars because they had a Chevy pushrod iron block engine. Oh, how provincial! Story on the (now estimated to be four, one original and three cut cars) here
    The Iso Grifo Spider: A Mystifying Recent Sighting - **********.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BJK and roma1280 like this.
  19. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    roma1280 likes this.
  20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    rumor has it that after he took a car for a drive he would jack it up and unwind the miles. any truth to this? garrison was in hollywood, maybe thats where the idea came from for the Ferris Buehler scene.
    also, heard if you were invited to the ranch to see a car, that was the only one brought out. couldnt see the rest of the collection.
    i met him once and he was a hell of nice guy.

21. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Garrisons Daytona Spider (the last Daytona Spider built) had just 86 miles on the speedo when sold by Gooding in 2007 for $2.035 million (roughly 200% over the average market value for a Daytona Spider in 2007) was the star of his collection. Supposedly it had only ever been driven on the ranch, perhaps to the mailbox and back and offered the buyer the chance to buy the GOAT, it has been offered since at a large mark up with no extra miles and remains today a unicorn of a car.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/daytona-spyder-with-86-miles-from-new.517875/