What's the deal with being a 'local' in CO? Is it that serious? | FerrariChat

What's the deal with being a 'local' in CO? Is it that serious?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by LI2782, Oct 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    So as some of you know, I'm a recent transplant from NY to Denver. Shortly after arriving here I ditched my job at a VC fund and launched a service business. Short backstory is I met an American Veteran in a suit on a 100 degree day with his VA card attached to a sign looking for a job. I didn't have anything for him at the time, but I had a service business idea in the back of my head.

I decided to go for it because I know I will be able to build it into a brand that'll provide good paying jobs for underskilled/underemployed Americans as we grow(hopefully Veterans). Fast forward to yesterday I get an email from a guy asking if I am 'born and raised' in CO. I responded(within 10 minutes) that we're a Colorado company, employing Coloradans, and the business is fully setup and insured here in CO.

Today he emails me back that he'll find 'someone local.' Is this normal behavior for people here? Most of our business is in apartment buildings downtown so we've dealt mostly with other transplants so far.

2. IAmNotCasey

IAmNotCasey Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Casey Duncan
    Other than the somewhat silly "Native" bumper stickers that you see around (followed one this morning in fact), I've never experienced anything like that.

What is your business exactly? Not sure why anyone would care that the owner is "Native", unless you are selling those bumper stickers, which are probably made in China anyway.

3. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    It's an automotive business so I'd rather not say here. Not attempting to promote without being a sponsor or anything. The entire message seemed a bit off. The guy claimed to have 5 'exotics' but no record of his existence on Google except a sex offender by the same name in Texas.

The only issue I've heard of people having with transplants is that we've raised the cost of living and a guy with 5 exotics probably hasn't been hurt by that.

Thanks for the response. Happy to hear it's probably not a common thing. I figured as such.

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Without any context for what you're talking about, it's hard to say. I don't think that being a native is super important but for some things, people want to make sure they're not dealing with some Johnny Come Lately who is here today and gone tomorrow. I know that we deal with a lot of other businesses and make sure to research who they are and where they come from and there are definitely red flags for companies that pop up out of nowhere.

I don't follow the whole "veteran on a hot day" part and "owning five exotic cars" and if that has to do with being local or not. I'm slow, though and I have a hard time understanding things.

5. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Our website is professional in appearance, as is our truck. Our social media has a ton of our work and we work with established residential properties all around town. I can't say for sure that he checked all of those things, but if he took the time to look I'm sure he would've seen we're here to stay.

The veteran on a hot day was just to share background on what led me to leave my corporate job and start this. I don't use it as a selling or marketing point. Was just background info.

The 5 exotics was just a comment the guy made.

6. 456rogers

456rogers Karting

Oct 29, 2013
    Idaho Springs CO
    Being born and raised in Colorado I take pride in it and enjoy meeting other "natives" (I don't really like that term per se) because they are few and far between. That being said, if you are generally a good person I could care less where you are from. I can see Sherpa's point about maybe they wanted to be sure they were dealing with a company with roots in the area. In business I tend to concern myself with people who want my business as opposed to those who don't want to do business with me....his loss I suppose

7. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Yes I understand his point about vetting people and wanting to deal with someone local. Unfortunately if he'd taken five minutes to speak with me rather than sending an email asking if I was born and raised here I'm sure we would've ultimately won his business. Oh well. I may check in with him in a month or so.

8. When pot was legalized the entire state saw a flood of people from out of state either moving to or visiting Colorado. As a result the traffic and congestion increased noticeably. Many people who were here before the law changed have grown resentful of these people for clogging the roads and causing the real estate market to rise. Not sure why someone would take this bias to influence business dealings but it could be a reason for it. Im not taking sides on the matter one way or another on this thread, but it could explain why they acted this way.

9. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Yeah I get that, but in my experience it's been people on the lower end of the social spectrum who are resentful. That's why I shared that this guy made the comment about having 5 exotics - you'd think he'd own at least one property and would benefit from this white hot real Estate market. Oh well, who knows. Seems it's not a common occurrence which is what I figured. Thanks for all the feedback.

10. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I am a native, family has been here 120 years. I have no resentment towards those that have moved here, what gives anyone anymore right to be here versus another other than the true Native Americans that were here first? I remember the 1980s and can deal with the addititional traffic and higher cost in exchange for a healthy diversified economy. I would suspect that you are right about the lower end of the social spectrum is upset as it is much more expensive to live here than it used to be. I would also suspect that many of the "native" bumper stickers are on cars from those that were not here in the 1980s as well.

11. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    That is funny. Slow is not something i associate you with Sherpa!

My wife is a native, born in Denver and lived here pretty much most of her life. I, on the other hand, have lived here since 1986. I have never seen any difference in native vs non-native. (Actually i am a naturalized citizen who has not really experienced any discrimination in Colorado.) I have lived here longer than other place.

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Whaaaaaaatttt???? You're not a Colorado native, Mark???? I thought you had to be at least a fourth generation Coloradan like Scott.

See?? I am slow.

:D :D :D

13. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    Ha! I am a little mixed up! Malaysia, England, India, Wyoming and Colorado (all with some Portuguese influence mixed up in there somewhere). How is that for ending up in the real melting pot :).

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I could never tell by your accent and skin color. I thought that was straight 4th generation Highlands Ranch!

Okay, okay. I'll stop joking around now. I saw the beach next to your elementary school!

15. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    #15 Hotzos, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Born and raised here myself over 60 years ago and remember that C Springs was all of 35K population, Pueblo maybe 40K and Denver a cow town that rolled up the sidewalks at night. So people born and raised in CO, especially my generation are few and far between. The whole "Native" thing did start in the early 80's and suppose it was a way for those from here to snub noses at Texans and Californians who were diluting the gene pool. There was another popular bumper sticker of the time: "Don't Californicate Colorado". Unfortunately, that did happen.

17. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Same thing has happened to Idaho.

18. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Actually it was back in the early-mid 1970's and maybe even before that.

Back then 'Native' was a big deal and anyone from either coast or Texas was not very welcome.

The Texans forsure reciprecated.

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #19 Rifledriver, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    That exists to some extent everywhere. I am from California and to them it was important too. When the place you grew up changes people want to blame someone. It certainly cannot be the natives who brought about change and overcrowding, higher taxes, higher cost of living etc now can it? To some extent there is truth to it, outsiders sure changed California but go anywhere that's nice and people want to be and that's going to happen. If you don't believe me just ask the Indians.

I suppose you could live somewhere where the weather is rotten, zero culture, no jobs, cheap homes and a low cost of living, nothing is ever going to change and you'd be in nirvana.

For the immigrants, there is always someone who is going to try and blame you for ****ing up their little slice of heaven. Just steer a course around them and get on with life. Someone with that sort of thought process I have no use for anyway.

For the natives, bottom line is be happy you live in a place someone else feels is worthwhile moving to. Make them feel welcome and they just might be a good neighbor. There are only so many good people in the world and you might have just met one of them.

20. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Absolutely true, it goes back into the 60's at least...my father was a pharmacist in the drugstore that used to be in the Broadmoor Hotel and as kids found ourselves there quite often. I even caddied at the golf club for a few years so we were exposed to the comments and saw why they were being made.

It was the "Native" stickers that as I recall, came out in the 80's....