Where's the Engine? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Where's the Engine?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by silver1331, May 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
  2. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #127 shaughnessy, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
    Yale

In this instance not gloating about money.

The man has rights to do with his cars, what he wants, when he wants and why he wants!

Pride of ownership, whether one enjoys, restores, shares, let sits, allows to become derelict or disassembles for whatever reason, remains the owner's rights.

His actions do not need to meet approval by anyone.

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    when/if the engine gets transplanted, is the engine # restamped?
    ed

4. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    I severely doubt it

The act of restamping remains against the law in this country, other than the manufacturer

The owner, in this case, has nothing to hide.

5. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Wow, 55 grand for a GTE with no engine. It's hard to imagine someone wanting to try and put this back together again, given the cost of finding another 250 block.

I suppose one could retrofit it for a (comparably) inexpensive 330 engine by rigging up a new engine mount. Or (gasp!) throw in a chevy crate motor. Somewhere out there in the world lies a 250 engine with a 4-cam head, according to a tale told by Ferruccio Lamborghini. I suppose that would work as well if someone happened upon it.

That's 3 options right there - plenty of possibilities!

6. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    Is this car still for sale?
    FYI-i am near certain the big valve head motor was for a spare to be used in a SEFAC SWB????
    I am an intersted buyer, despite having another similar car in NE...interestingly, all queries I got were from people who are near certainly going to part it out and peddle the motor, despite hi opinions of them proffered in this column...

7. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #133 Julio Batista, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
    He's probably even proud of it. People with the combination of fresh money and bad taste necessary to build a fake rarely have any shame at all.

8. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Very true...

9. sumlin

sumlin Karting

Jan 12, 2009

What a delightfully westernised way of looking at things. Money rules all.

For me, if you're an enthusiast for these cars (or any collectible artefact at) then having the cash to purchase an example just means you're it's keeper and if you truly appreciate the people who built it/painted it/crafted it then you treat the ownership as a period of custody rather than outright possession. You have a certain responsibility much like "owning" an animal.

There are people in the world with enough money to purchase every Rothko painting in the Tate Gallery in London. If they did then they would gave every right to burn them. That they don't is down to respect for the person who created them, appreciation of what they created and (regardless of their own personal taste) appreciation of other people's love for the work.
    There are exceptions to this - I'd recommend reading the book by "45" by Bill Drummond that deals with him purchasing a $20,000 work of art and then destroying it (as well as him burning $1,000,000) - but taking an engine out of a car like this that people have fought to preserve over time and have invested themselves in is like buying the aforementioned Rothko painting just because you want the frame for your reproduction Turner.

In other words: just because you can doesn't mean you should

10. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #136 Julio Batista, Jul 15, 2010
    Wayne, thank you for posting the pictures of what is left of my car.

Notice that I wrote "my car".

Although it is no longer legally mine, nor can I say it is my property (I was promptly paid a fair agreed price when I sold it), it will always be my Ferrari, as well as the previous owners' Ferrari. We are privileged guardians of these extraordinary objects. Unfortunately the last guardian of this GTE decided to destroy it.

I was particularly moved by your reproduction of the Ferrari certificate. I remember applying for it, finally receiving it after two weeks, and framing it with enormous pride and joy.

Some people do this kind of crime (it is a moral crime) for the money. That I dissaprove of but I can understand; who knows whether one day any of us, or myself, might have to do such an act out of necessity?

On the other hand, the person who orders and PAYS for this kind of destruction of an original and authentic vintage Ferrari, usually in order to build a dishonest fake, is a tasteless, vulgar, and disrespectful SWINE.

Notice that I did not say that such an act is ILLEGAL; I realize that for some people the only "moral" compass in their life is provided by their local criminal codes.

11. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    +1
    Hope the owner realizes his action is not respected by enthousiasts and does the right thing.

12. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    I think that if someone knows who is responsible for this, they should post their name. Just so that I don't go gushing over one of their cars (and especially the recipient car) in the Monterey paddock or some such place.

George

13. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #139 Camdon53, Jul 15, 2010
    Agreed. I'm heading to Monterey in a few weeks and I'd very much like to avoid soiling myself by respecting in any way the person (or car) responsible for this tragedy.

Edit: Apparently Mr. Lawrence Bowman purchased the car and is now seeking to sell the gutted hulk.

14. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Never mind. I think I found it in another thread. If it is Mr. Bowman, he certainly has enough money to have done this differently.

George

15. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I have no idea who did this, nor do I care.

I can however assure you all that if you ever see a 250 TdF at a Ferrari-sponsored event (like the Mille Miglia Recreation), you should automatically assume that it is a fake.

But don't ask anybody, because you will be told that you are a number obsessed purist and that the car is not a fake, but an "authentic Replica which is more authentic than an original TdF".

And then think of the beautiful PF coupé that was destroyed in the whole shameful process.

O tempora, o mores...

16. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #142 Julio Batista, Jul 15, 2010

Money and taste are often negatively correlated.

17. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    that's really the icing on the cake, isn't it? Those of us who mourn the destruction of real Ferraris are somehow the nutjobs . . .

My father, who has owned his Ferrari for 50 years, will tell you that he thinks of himself as more of a steward than an owner.

18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Julio,

The new owner of your car is on Tom Yang's site ( www.tomyang.net ). Tom and the gang are looking into finding an original 250 engine for it. If this proves impossible, the back-up solution appears to be putting a 550 Maranello drivetrain in it.

Regards,

Art S.

19. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Wayne,

Thanks for posting the ebay ad.

Regards,

Art S.

20. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    #146 TZ 750, Jul 15, 2010
    Hello friends:

I am new to Ferrari Chat, but thought this would be a good thread to offer my car.

The car is a 1999 model, 456 MGT automatic, running well, with less than 30 K miles.
    All maintainance is up to date, and the car shows well with good Grigio Ingrid over tan leather.

My current plan is to remove the body from the car,
    and replace it with a replica of a 1934 Ford roadster.

I have wanted a very custom hot rod for sometime, and this would produce an almost-unique ride.

This thread shows than many folks are not in favor of that sort of "swap," so I am approachable.

I bought the car from Scottsdale Ferrari in December of 2008, for about $50,000.00

I figure that I can eBay the body, hood, trunk lid, bumpers, doors, interior, seats, etc.
    for a net of about $30,000.

The going price for an excellent frame, running gear, brakes,
    and driveline with all electrics seems to be about $35,000.00.

If someone would like to "save" this car from a fate worse than death,
    I will accept $65,000.00, and donate my labor to not disassemble the car.

You will end up with an very nice Ferrari that you can "save" for your heirs,
    and the knowledge that you have done a good deed for the Ferrari world.

21. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Check out the thread "Mille Miglia 2010" for a vivid illustration of that sort of reaction.

22. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Nobody gives a **** about a 1999 456 automatic.

23. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Thanks. I wish Tom and the gang the best of luck!

24. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Hey everyone needs a little love.
    ;)