Who knows the true story of the two Ferrari Bartoletti 642 rn2 racetransporters ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Who knows the true story of the two Ferrari Bartoletti 642 rn2 racetransporters ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by andymont, Nov 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Fantastic photos, Ed. Thanks!

Onno

2. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    These great photos depicts two different Rolfo Om-Fiat open deck trucks.
    But these trucks aren't the Bartolettis open deck of the thread.

Ciao

Andrea

3. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    any photos of the engines or the cabins?

4. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    #29 Pass, May 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #30 Ed Niles, May 30, 2009
  6. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Very nice... On the right is the Mercedes truck from the GELO Racing Team. The German Georg Loos ran a 512 M in 1971.

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Its good that this fantastic footage covers Fangio`s way of driving the fantastic 250F rather than the F.-transporter for a little less than a second!

Ciao!
    Walter

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The "German" Transporter was sold by Axel Schuette within Germany to collector WB.

Ciao!
    Walter

9. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    This trailer matches the 1966 Fiat transporter sold at Gooding at Monterey a few years ago.

10. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

11. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    #36 Bill_OBrien, May 30, 2009
    Please forgive that this is Off Topic but the July edition of 'Automobile' magazine has a nice 3 page article on the Baroletti Scarab transporter. This transporter was also used by Alan Mann Racing to transport Cobras & GT 40's. It was treated to a 8,000 hour councourse restoration. It is beautiful!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Hairy

Hairy Karting

Nov 16, 2004
    #37 Hairy, May 31, 2009
  13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    wow! that is a cool picture!

wow! there is alot going on there!

14. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    #39 Bill_OBrien, Jun 3, 2009
  15. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #40 andymont, Jun 4, 2009

These are two pictures of the transporter when was in activity .
    It is a Fiat 643N three axles bodied by Rolfo , the same coachbuilder who made many other trucks for Ferrari.
    As you can see from the pictures , the chassis and the structure has been cut in the back side close to the third axle and the lift gate is missing.

Ciao
    Andrea

16. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #41 andymont, Jun 4, 2009

I try to reset the Ferrari Bartoletti transporters saga...
    In my opinion there were almost 4 similar trucks , used for racing transports , and one more long wheelbase used for transporting road cars .
    Total five Bartoletti open deck transporters and not more.

The first was a 642Rn two tones grey (italian airport picture) with license plate MO 35150
    Then we have the two red ones 642Rn2 (Le Mans 1962 picture) with license plate MO 42628 and MO 42629 (ch.#02989)
    Then we have the newest red 682Rn2 (Spa 1962 picture) with license plate MO 53210
    Last we have the long wheelbase open deck (Paris 1960 picture ) license plate unknown

The actual situation is :
    The first grey 642RN and the red long wheelbase seems disappeared.

Two 642RN2 existing
    The "German" one (ex Freshman/Beecham , Grishei , ch.#02989) , that seems the best restored one .
    The Jon Shirley's one , was restored by Silma Bus of Modena and shows many unmatching items .

One 682RN2 existing and owned by Pat Hart. It was also restored by Silma Bus of Modena but seems to come from a donor chassis of a similar type more recent and doesn't seem to be the Ferrari original one.

Then Bill Noon told in this thread that he is the actual owner of two chassis of original trucks ( # 3001 - 682RN2 and # 3002 642RN2) .
    The truck seen in Giotto post #15 seems to be a truck commonly used for amusement-parks and carousels removals (I have seen hundreds like this in Italy)

Something sounds odd.

Ciao
    Andrea

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #43 Napolis, May 26, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
    I made an offer that wasn't accepted and now that I see this I'm glad:

"One 682RN2 existing and owned by Pat Hart. It was also restored by Silma Bus of Modena but seems to come from a donor chassis of a similar type more recent and doesn't seem to be the Ferrari original one."

If this is true I'm really not happy that I wansn't told this by the Dealer who offered it to me.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Andrea

Are you saying that the 682RN2 once owned by Pat Hart is based on a donor chassis?

How do you know this?

"One 682RN2 existing and owned by Pat Hart. It was also restored by Silma Bus of Modena but seems to come from a donor chassis of a similar type more recent and doesn't seem to be the Ferrari original one.

Then Bill Noon told in this thread that he is the actual owner of two chassis of original trucks ( # 3001 - 682RN2 and # 3002 642RN2) .
    The truck seen in Giotto post #15 seems to be a truck commonly used for amusement-parks and carousels removals (I have seen hundreds like this in Italy)

Something sounds odd."

Best

19. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    Jim, You have a PM

Ciao

Andrea

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thank You Very Much for your message. I agree with you totally and remained troubled.

Best

21. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    #47 billnoon, May 26, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
    Good day esteemed members of this group.

I am the dealer that offered the 682RN2 to Jim.

I did so earlier last month. Jim made a substantial offer but it was insufficient for what was needed to complete a sale.

I want to make it clear that at all times Jim acted in good faith and I have no complaints whatsoever in how he conducted himself.

After Jim's offer was declined I sold the transporter to another buyer. In between Jim's offer and up to the present, I have allowed unrestricted access to the transporter by a variety of interested parties both the curious as well as potential buyers. There has been no restriction on viewing and inspecting the vehicle or substantial records and documentation by anyone who has asked to do so.

I have also given out several fun test rides to members of this group simply for taking the time and patience to actually visit with us.

I will not discuss the other "Ferrari" transporters that I have not been involved with, owned or sold. To comment on something I have not been involved with or have direct knowledge on would be inappropriate to say the least.

I am not a paid subscriber to this group and therefore do not have the rights or privileges to post photos and documents.

For the record here are the facts specific to this transporter.

Year 1959
    Make FIAT
    Model 682/RN-2
    Chassis No. 682RN2 *001461*
    Engine No. 203.0/3 *024568*
    Registration MO 53210 (1959-1970)
    Registered VE 209093 (1970)
    Registered PD 467856 (1971-1994)

This FIAT was ordered and delivered new to “Auto Constuzione Ferrari” and specifically used initially by the Scuderia Ferrari and then later SEFAC Ferrari from 1959 until 1970.

The continuous Italian Road Registration, log book, ownership documents etc... remained with the vehicle and were current up to the time of our purchase many years ago.

Each owner since knew is officially recorded and the records are public and can be accessed to this day through the Italian authorities.

Each of the owners were well aware of the ownership and use by the Scuderia Ferrari and the SEFAC Ferrari of this transporter. There was no mystery and this transporter was never lost or rediscovered. It has since new always been well known for what it was and remains to this day.

During the restoration at great expense and time the original (not replacement frame etc...) was painstakingly rebuilt and the entire vehicle faithfully restored as best possible back to the original SF / SEFAC configuration. Upon completion of this work the transporter was entered and displayed at Pebble Beach where to quote many; "It stole the show!"

Prior to our purchase, Keith Martin from the Sports Car Market Letter, Matt Jones from Re-Originals in Texas and a prominent Italian Law Firm where contracted to independently confirm the details regarding ownership and history of this transporter and another we bought at the same time. They also oversaw and assisted during the restoration to ensure the work was performed and completed accurately and faithfully.

Anyone who is states that this transporter is a replica, re-framed or fraudulent had better have both the facts to prove such allegations and the stamina to do so publicly.

I want to make it clear again, I have without restriction of any kind provided access to all individuals who have asked for access to both the vehicle itself and the period, prior to, during and after restoration records, photos and receipts.

If someone wishes to comment contrary to what I have provided ask them clearly and directly when they and where they viewed this transporter and the associated photos and documents.

For those who do not know who I am, I am Bill Noon from Symbolic in La Jolla, California.

I do not hide my identity or what I do and how I do it behind any alternate name or identity.

My direct phone is 619 840 7811

My direct email is [email protected]

I have had the same cell number since 1990.

I have had the same email address since 1997.

I have been in the same location and business since 1994.

No one anywhere will ever have any problem ever getting a hold of me or getting immediate attention to their questions and concerns.

I therefore remain always and respectfully,

Bill Noon

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks again for your meticulous research and the information you sent me! I fully agree with your conclusions.

Best

23. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    And what's with the Maserati transporter with licence plate MO-43571?

24. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #50 andymont, May 28, 2010
    The Maserati transporter Fiat 642RN2 Bartoletti MO43571 has been dismantled many years ago in Naples after a long period of service with other owners.
    Someone says that was destroyed in a crash in Sicily. Not true.

A "Deep Throat" said me that in Modena there's an advanced project for rebuilding it.
    We'll see...

Ciao
    Andrea

NürScud likes this.