WHO KNOWS THIS MAN? | FerrariChat

WHO KNOWS THIS MAN?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Dino2010, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    #1 Dino2010, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Athanase

Athanase Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2007
    Françoise Sagan on the left.

3. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Sure! Well done! Sagan was a higly appreiated guest of Enzo's, and visited more than once. But the other gentleman? I am sure some of us must know....

4. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #4 Aardy, Mar 2, 2017
    I can't help but here's another pic from the same day, in winter 1958...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    And #0666 after Buenos Aires.

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Apropos Sagan, this clip is one of my all time favorites. Most of the dialogue is in English and there are some spectacular images embedded into the video. I don't know if its just me but I laugh with tears in my eyes every time I see it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QfUXQaCcUA

7. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Definitely La grande Sagan!
    We still don't know who the mysterious man is in the pics...
    Those of us who visit Maranello since many years and know the real whereabouts of the "Maranellesi" must have met him.

A clue: Fondazione Manní, next to the tabaccheria on the 5 road junction, right in the centre.. Ages ago, during decades, a hotel with a renowned local restaurant, with a quite notorious lady as tenant, called Roberta.
    Those who have known that place will know that today it's kind of a trendy bar, where some locals still come to meet and talk about the great years....

8. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
  9. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
  10. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Thanks, yes, great stuff! :D

But no pics of her California Spider. :(

What was the car in the photo right after the XK120?

11. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Gregoire Sport.

12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    The link doesn't work. It says "The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

john

13. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Thanks, neverheard... :? But surely French and exclusive.

I also could not help smiling when she talked about the Aston (DB2/4) she had a terrible accident with, that it was because of some sand on the road, and that it was a wonderful car, but a bit heavy to steer, for a lady! :D

Slightly OT, but I have no idea about the man in question and if the casting is related to the artwork (or unidentified object) but so it should be from 1958, I guess also before she got her California Spider that I have seen a photo of somewhere.

Edit: ok, it's a crusifix.

14. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #15 miurasv, Mar 3, 2017
  15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    We saw two of those in Paris, remember? (no, you don't).

16. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Ahhh, but it's hard to remember something you don't know, you know? :)

I think it's like "does not compute..." I do remember a whole bunch of Ferraris, Lancias, Bugattis, Pegasos, Bizzarrinis, Lamborghinis and Jaguars though.

And thanks Steven, that's a great shot of her SWB Cf. Spider, also love the 2CV behind her, I am sure she preferred the 250 GT Spider with her driving style! :D

17. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    As much as I love the 250 GT SWB California, as much as I like the works of Mme Sagan, we still don't have the name of the gentleman in the first pictures.... :D

Little clue: Fondazione Manni = Bar Ristorante Drake ! :D

Bar Ristorante Drake - Ristoranti Maranello

18. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Amazing that nobody seems to know, or remember, such an important man in the history of Ferrari, especially in this vintage thread.

19. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Well, of all the original engines, mounted in cars spoken of in this Vintage thread, many passed through the hands of this fascinating man, since he was 'Capo della fonderia' during decades.

20. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hello,

Sorry I do not know who he is, but I hope to learn many more things about the early cars and the makers. I could see that it was the same man in photo nr. 1 and photo nr. 2 and that in the nr. 2 old photo he was preparing a sand casting in front of Enzo and Francoise, so he must have been an artisan, a master caster. :)

That is why I think the cast crucifix was also a clue, but I have not seen it before.
    I am not a technical person but I enjoy a lot seeing films and photos about the engines and cars being made, parts casted and machined and put together.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

21. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    #22 GBTR6, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    OK, I know he was at one time the head of the Ferrari factory foundry. That explains the picture with Enzo and the lady, the casting mold and the sand casting method. And it explains the bronze crucifix. I googled but could not find a name. Pray tell, what is it?

Perry

22. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    I was sure I knew this man ! It's Gemino Battilani !

23. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Thanks Cyril! :)

Now I can see why this was not so easy. Even Google does not seem to know much about him, I could find his phone number in Maranello, but not much else. So clearly one of the great talents who remained behind the curtains. There must have been many other master craftsmen and designers who also have remained more or less anonymous.

Cheers!

Pekka T.
    Fin.

24. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    #25 Dino2010, Mar 12, 2017
    Exactly! The one and only Gemino Battilani, Head of the Ferrari Foundry department, for many decades. He worked, from a very early age together with the Commendatore, until he went on retirement.
    I had the great honor, and pleasure, to meet this fantastic man in the heart of Maranello, in the bar/restaurant Drake, in May 2013. He is a typical Maranello local, as they are so proud about "their cars". He is so proud about "his"more than 1000 engine blocks he made. We chatted for hours and hours, and invited me in his home.
    As I drove him to his house in my Challenge Stradale, he grumbled between his teeth, with a big smile on his warm but rinkled face: "Dio, che macchina!"

As we live in this fast changing era, with relatively little time and intrest for the past, I thought it would be nice to stand still and pay respect to the people who, far away from the taste of champagne on the racetracks, have made Ferrari to what it is today.

At the recent auctions of Scottsdale, Paris and Amelia Island, astronomical amounts of money are paid for fabulous, historic, rare and sometimes unique Ferraris. But let's never forget the magnificent men and women who, in the shadow of Enzo and his sale successes, and for rather low salaries, have litteraly manufactured those magnificent cars.
    Battilani is one of those, one of the really greatest.