Whole milk? | FerrariChat

Whole milk?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Ryan S., Jan 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    So Brian's post about Olympians and whole milk got me thinking.....

I really hate protein shakes. Is whole milk enough of a substitute for your average protein shake?

I'm about 175lbs and 5 11 32 yoa. Would like to get back to 185 as that's where I feel my best. Just would prefer not to have to over eat and or dwn the protein.

Lifting pretty heavy 3 days a week now that shoulder is coming together again. Lost a bit of weight though helping start business which I'm trying to put back on. When stressed I do opposite of most and don't eat....

Really liking taste of the whole milk though.

Other than the protein what else is good about whole milk?

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I would opt for chocolate milk, I've heard that's a great post workout drink. But I hate it. But I love whole milk, I just rarely drink it. Too much fat in it.

Not sure why you hate protein shakes, there are some really good ones out there.

To really gain though I'd focus on food. Start seeing what you're taking in per day and then adjust accordingly. I'd aim for at least 185 grams of protein per day.

3. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    I would highly recommend against it for a number of reasons: Loads of cortisol, and as all milk has to be pasteurized (heated) it denatures the protein. And lots of people are lactose intolerant without actually being aware of it. Plus as Jason mentioned the high fat content.

If you must, I would recommend organic only, but there are much better ways to get the necessary calories and protein than drinking any - let alone whole - milk.

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I used to crave it by the gallon, now I can't stand it.

5. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I grew up on raw whole milk, right out of the bulk tank on our dairy farm, don't drink milk today, little if any...
    And anything a cow eats, is transferred into milk, the taste and fat varies by time of year and what is fed...as well as color, and smell,...

6. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Still love milk, but cutting back.
    Recently read that it contains a lot of estrogen, as the cows are pregnant
    most of the time, and they pump them up to last weeks of pregnancy.

7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Good stuff. Raw grass fed is really worth the effort to locate for growing kids, but can be a challenge. In Virginia, it's actually illegal to sell raw milk. The only option is to buy partial ownership in a cow, cow share :rolleyes: Our kids really enjoyed raw goat and cow milk when they were younger. Now days they don't like the stronger flavor, so we end up getting store bought organic milk which is unfortunately pasteurized, of course.

I personally haven't cared for milk except for the occasional bowl of cereal for 25 years. As a grown up, I've stuck to yogurt and kefir.

8. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    What's the healthiest milk that is widely available ? And what's the best alternative with regards to taste?

I like milk for my cappuccino and other than that I use almond milk.

9. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    #9 crazy canuck, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    I'd recommend almond milk. All the taste ( I'd say much better taste (and none of the estrogen or other hormones that the cow got shot up with - organic or otherwise.

I gave up milk over a year ago, and tried it again to see what I thought of it. Took one sip and had to spit it out.

Also if you want to lose the fat / milk is full of fat and sugar... Next time you're at the grocery store pick up a jug of milk and pick up a jug of Almond milk and compare the nutritional labels .eye opener

10. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    + 1

11. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I may have to try it again, but I've tried almond milk twice and there is a distinct difference in flavor, and I just don't like it.

But I love almonds.

12. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    I've tried a few brands, and the one I like the best is Silk - the regular version.

You can get it at whole foods but It's available at most costcos and comes in a 3 pack (for way less)

I think they have an unsweetened version but that one didn't taste as good as the regular one. Incidentally, the regular one still has significantly less sugar and none of the hormones that the cows have been shot up with.

Also, try to cut the dairy for a month straight, and you likely won't go back. That's what happened to me. I used to drink cows milk regularly, now I can't even stomach the thought of it let alone the taste.

And the other big bonus is that I don't have the "flemmy" coating on my tongue that felt like a layer of paint after drinking cow milk.

Good luck

13. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I tried for a month... I can eat cereal with almond but cappuccino isn't tasty with it.

14. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    whole milk especially chocolate is awesome imo. beer also makes a great post workout drink according to some articles... i agree with all three as solid choices

15. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Ryan,
    I was what some refer to as a "gym rat" in another life and I also had the same conundrum regarding milk...it does not really matter. I was hardcore about nutrition (I love protein shakes because I researched the pro's and con's) and found out that I was over thinking everything and not listening to my body. There are great meal replacement shakes that not only taste great and adding fruit to them makes the best smoothie....gonna make one and hope my pets don't hear me.

I am 225lbs, 5'11 and have maintained a BFR of less than 30% for 25+yrs (good gene's I guess) but drinking a shake is a heck of a lot easier than stopping to eat. I used cook/prepare my meals for the entire work week on Sunday (not including my protein drinks) before I learned something so simple. Your body will intake/utilize more nutrients from liquids than solids because they enter the system easier with less restriction via digestion.

I can put you in contact with a friend who is one of the top nutritionist in the US, he is such a great person, and may give you some guidance. The main thing I learned was that the body is just a big engine and needs gas but the mind is your TRUE fuel tank.

Let me know if I can help,
    Gregg

PS, I am currently using BSN's "True-Mass" because it gives me 740Cal p/s + 50Gr protein as I prep for my NOPD test, I get tired just saying that...lol.

16. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    #16 Statler, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    30%? Ok.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. davidrodes

davidrodes Rookie

Jan 25, 2016
    I prefer almond milk than cows milk. Its 50% lower in calories. Taste really good too in my protein shake. What brand of protein powder do you use?

18. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    ISO 100 protein

19. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    love whole milk especailly chocolate i would recommend it myself in limited amounts. i like protein powder mixed in with coffee now and then

20. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    LOL
    What protein powder do you use that will mix with hot coffee?

21. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Not regular milk, but a glass of plain Kefir (fermented milk)
    a day helps keep the doctor away !

22. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
  23. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    What's the view on yoghurt? Is it a source of complete proteins or does it have to be combined with something else?

24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    As I'm back lifting, and looking for gains, I need to increase my protein intake. I'm 5'6", 195 and 48 yo, hard gainer, so I need any edge I can get. That includes fat intake, as I'm working out 5 days a week (2 off days).

Chocolate milk has added calories, and even a small bit of protein helps. That being said, I have come to realize I am (somewhat) lactose intolerant - when I drink milk daily, even just a single glass a day, I get tremendous heartburn. I mean, keep you up at night heartburn. When I stop drinking the milk, it goes away.

So I agree with you - I limit it, if not altogether pass it up. Instead, I'll drink water but snack on some nuts or cheese to get some added boost.

If you aren't lactose intolerant, I'd be fine with milk. If you have a fast metabolism and are a hard gainer like I am, any reasonable caloric intake of fat / protein can't hurt.

25. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Sounds like you're in great shape and just need to add a little more lean protein to your diet.