Why isn't Gallardo selling? | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Why isn't Gallardo selling?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Napolis, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Not a loss,just smaller profit then before.

2. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Ferrari is not a race car Company - huh? Okay...

If you put out a poll for a limited production Ferrari from the 60's and a Mclaren F1 (lets say a P4 and an F1) - which do you think would win? This poll is not meaningful to me. The Mclaren is a great car but even more limited in production - by far - than an Enzo. Plus there is no data to support an F1 will beat an Enzo at the track. Arguably the data supports an Enzo beating an F1 on a track. The Enzo and F1's performance #'s are so close that the Enzo's braking (far better) and far superior handling would IMHO allow the Enzo to beat an F1 on the track.

I guess Ferrari was playing games in the 60's when they made less than 50 GTOs and they all now sell for 7 figures. And that car is a POS - its slower than an M3!

The only reason an Enzo sells for $1M is simple economics - ever heard of supply and demand. There are more people than want one at $660K than there are cars. Conversely, the reason a Murci sells for $225K after 1-2 years is also supply and demand. There are less people that want one than there is supply.

Ferrari makes more than 600 cars in the $250K range.

Ferrari sells 4200 cars a year. Why is that playing games? They tell you what they are going to do. I think they sell more cars than Lamborghini. If you dont like their cars - dont buy one. There seem to be plenty people who want to buy them.

Me thinks you are on the sauce this morning.

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The Murci sells for in the 225,000 range after 3 years. Car was introduced in late 2000. It stickered at 278,000 . Go take alook at what 550/575/456/Barchettas sell for. Get real. Lamborghini is able to survive on 1 Model car, Ferrari could never. And if Ferrari didnt have a hold of the 160,000 market till now, it would be dead in the water.

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    ...and if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle! Fact is, they do. :)

DL

5. ninja_eli

ninja_eli Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Ali
    As a serious contribution to this thread, I herein give my opinion. I was in the market for a car circa price £140K GBP tops, and at that price range candidates were Murcielago (used), 360 Spider, 360, Diablo 6.0, Diablo SV, Gallardo, 996TT, Aston Martin Vanquish, 550/575 Maranello.

550/575 Maranello. Don't like the looks of it, I owned a Supra TT before and it just way too much reminded me of that car. Drove fabulous and much more powerful than V8 Ferraris, better made better interior, better value for money.

Murcielago. Love the looks, hate the clutch pedal and no resting place (LHD cars DO NOT suffer from this BTW) and clutch legend, (a friend of friend changed his at 800miles,at £3K). Also, the fact that it is carbon fibre, and I like to drive my cars hard and take risks, means that it would be VERY costly to repair (I know someone who spent £18K on body repairs after a slight misjudgement whilst racing). Otherwise, I'd say a used one is the best value car of all these. Just interior is a little less exciting than the Diablo, i.e it has the wrong type of instrument cluster (binnacle type). Yes, its heavy and not really chuckable, but its horses for course, I don't want to run 2 such cars therefore have to compromise.

Aston Martin Vanquish: This car is just superb, haven't driven one and am going only on looks and sound effects. But I feel I'm too young to own one just yet, more of a gentlemens car aged circa 28yrs+

Diablo SV: although still a stunning car, it looks dated, and worst still interior is awful. Build quality not upto 6.0 and Murcielago spec. 2wd though (yummy!)
    Diablo 6.0: wicked looking car, almost same under the skin to a Murcielago in fact, but again same expense issues as a Murcielago. Don't really like 4WD either Good value for money though, at circa £100KGBP for a late 2001 car. Same price as an equivalent 360 spider, and so much better value at that.

996TT: best car in the world, but just not enough in the looks or sound department. Didnt feel special enough (for want of a better word and way to describe). I will buy one 1 day, when they are cheaper,as a road weapon. Fantastic.

Gallardo: Tried to love the looks, wanted to get one so bad coz I friggin hate Ferrari UK's attitude, but it just doesn't look good (IMO). I've seen one on the road many times, and I always miss it until the driver guns it hard. Looks and feels, and smells German. At a saving of £40K, I'd say a 996TT was a better bet, and thats where my money would be. Don't like the driving position of the Gallardo, and clutch travel way too far. Lambo dealer in UK trying to alleviate such complaints by advising to order e gear... yeh right, **** off.

360/360 spider. Standard 360 very common on UK roads, and I prefer the looks and (relative) rarity of spider. I love the way the hood system does its thing.

Personally, Gallardos are advertised here at just over list price, but have yet to achieve sales. There are three for sale at an unofficial dealer here that I see everyday. I think they are overpriced personally. Should have been pitched at just over 996TT money, and it would have been a winner. Its not special enough, nor carry the cache of Ferrari to obtain such a price.

I wanted one, but at £117K, it doesn't cook my goose. At £85K, it would be quite hard to ignore. Many buyers at this end of the market (i.e. Used Murci and Diablo buyers, as opposed to those who don't give a **** and buy new ones), ARE affected somewhat by pricing. Not £10Ks ($20KUSD ;) he he) worth, but near £40K or thereabouts, definitely.

I dont think they are selling well, and I think they will depreciate quicker. Audi has a production line, and will pump them out. Any control will be artificial and if it sees buyers moving to used 360, it should up production following dealer advice. Dont pay over retail for one.

All just my opinion and hopefully an insight into one other persons mind who was just recently in the market for exactly these cars.

6. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    No, fact is... They Did! Not any more!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

In the U.k. doesnt the SV come with the Alcantra interior? U.S. versions are much more luxurious, but if i could, id definately upgrade to the 6.0 interior. Also, if you like the 6.0, just disconnect the 4 wheel drive, same on Murci. Lastly, in order to destroy the clutch on a Murci in 800 miles, thats complete driver error. Never happen. Taek, had a Murci with 25000 on it, with perfect clutch. Thats the highest i know of.

8. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    That's really funny. The 360 market is still stronger than the Gallardo market. Even if the wait is 9-15 months as you claim for one at MSRP, the 360 market is still far stronger. This for a 5 year old car. I can get a Gallardo at $10K over sticker - right now. What a joke to try and compare it to the 360 market. Now that doesn't mean that the Gallardo isn't a better car. It may be - but its nowhere near as strong a seller as a 360 was, and still is today. No brag just fact.

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    So I hope you ended up with more than just a few used magazine reviews. :)

DL

10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Like i said, not anymore. Also, be prepared to watch 360 values drop like a rock.

Also, if 360's are such fantastic cars, why are there 10,000 of them for sale everywhere? Maybe because people are asking an arm and a leg for them, BUT THEYRE NOT SELLING, but maybe to an ignorant few who buy into all this hoopla some of you sell.

11. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    ninja_eli, so which one are you choosing?

360s common on UK roads? I've seen about 3, none in London, much more porsches than ferraris there. Which means, when we get ours next year, if anyone sees a 360 in my town, it will be my dad :) (I'm only 14)

I live in Reading btw.

12. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Hmm no. For 225 000 you can get a 2002 Model...

How can you compare resale value of something that is fairly new on the market to Ferraris that have been around for as much as 11 years ??

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

15. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
  16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The Murcis were introduced as an 02 model, 1 year in advance.

And which model Ferrari, from the 550/575/456 and Barchetta may i ask is 11 years old?

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The 456. Introduced in june 1992 ..

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks. That's what I was trying to find out.

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Hmm, i thought it was introduced in the mid 90's . Oh well, i hate those cars, so i never paid any attention to them. Regardless, in June of 1993, it was worthless. None of those Fcars, have any resale value, whatsoever, neither will the 360.

20. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas

Honestly, do you think the Gallardo will?

21. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    The Gallardo will not, its overpriced by 40K to start!

22. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Well Lamborghini and Audi ****s their customers pretty much in their asses. Talk about bad company running.

Lamborghini makes their Gallardo, and prices it to 3 million danish kroner. Have you seen Audi's future RSR model? It looks pretty much like a Gallardo, but for 4 times lesser the cost. So all the Gallardo buyers out there, I would feel pretty butt raped if I were you. You don't see Fiat putting out a "Fiat 360 Modena" with a blue Fiar mark on the back instead of a prancing horse.

23. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    It's funny that the 360 was introduced in 1999 and a 1999 coupe owner can still get what he paid for the car 5 years later. Spyder owners did better, they can still make money 5 years later.

Another interesting point is that you say the 360 is the most often traded in car for the Gallardo, but you also say that you can't get a Gallardo yet and dealers only have demo's... Hmmm.

BTW, the latest issue of automobile magazine lists their all star picks for 2004. In the cost no object supercar category, the Ferrari 360 won...

24. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I'm sorry to say,but your totally baseless and totally unfair comments make you loose any credibility and since the facts are overwhelmingly against you ,further arguing with you is simply a waste of time.
    It's nice, you are so fiercely loyal to Lambos,but you should also be a little bit more reasonable and give credit where it's due.

25. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If people paid 110-115 in 99 this may be true but other than that prices are falling.