Will there be a NEW manual transmission Ferrari model? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Will there be a NEW manual transmission Ferrari model?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mikael-F360, Aug 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That is completely up to the consumer. Ferrari is now a accessory, just like an expensive hand bag or purse is for women. They are more of a statement then a true drivers car now. It's sad, but it's true.

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    and exactly why i have no interest in their new offerings..... -1

fashion statements come and go.... it'll be interesting to watch

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Agree. And with the performance of electric cars getting better and better, Ferrari as we know it will become obsolete very fast, unless they adapt. There are only a few of us left who remember Ferrari's heyday, and we are fading fast. We are pretty much that last generation who will pay big money for a primitive car.

4. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir

When companies like Tesla produce a car that actually corners, sounds attractive, or doesn't run out of oomph after a few overrated straightline Ludicrous starts, I might pay attention. When was the last time you saw a circuit time posted for a production electric car? I think I'll keep driving my "primitive expensive handbag statements". How does a fellow like you even end up on an automotive enthusiast message board?

Modern Ferraris will be worth MUCH more in the future, ESPECIALLY if they become anachronisms. Don't you understand how supply and demand works? Ever pay attention to the world of high end collector watches? They ain't digital. In case you hadn't noticed, this entire thread is about nostalgia and rose colored glasses driving demand for fun but expensive and outdated products.

This thread has officially jumped the shark.

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    They buy automatics because if they want a new Ferrari they don't have a choice.

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Old car requires more maintenance and no parts a availability could make a new car desirable.

7. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    #57 Mikael-F360, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Having an "old" car is the thing for those people who like to work on it themselves. Change oils, fluids, belts, filters, seals and hoses occasionally. And perhaps work on the engine too by changing the clutch for example.

These people love to search for DIY instructions at this forum and ask others how to fix something themselves. This creates surely a more stronger bond between you and your car than if you would just be driving it and let other people service and care for it.

A new Ferrari would have a 7 year service deal and a 3 years warranty most likely. You don't need to worry about much. And the tech is highly advanced so better not fiddle with it too much.

I own a 17 year old manual transmission 360. Wanted a car with a rough feel, not too much tech or useless bells and whistles. I joined this forum because I want to fix this car myself and to get to know as much as I can about it's not so complicted technology. I love the fact that I control the car completely when I switch the ASR off. Now this is the Ferrari for me. Can any of the latest models provide me these experiences I am now so much enjoying?

No.

Getting to know your car by fixing it yourself creates tremendous joy. This is an awesome forum. Thanks everyone for making it what it is.

911&F430 likes this.
  8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

+1!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #59 TheMayor, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    It's a long shot but damn I'd love to see the new Dino with a gated option. Only problem is a new Dino is also a long shot

Ferrari is done with sticks

11. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    now that this company is public nothing is off the table.

can you by officially licensed ferrari tp yet ?

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    And that is why I won't.

911&F430 likes this.
  13. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    But we are not! Thank goodness they can't take the ones they already made away from us.

14. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Ferrari tp would probably be more expensive than just using $1 and $5 bills!

As mentioned here, the govt will probably be the ones who take these cars from us eventually. Maybe they'll start with a manual transmission tax-maybe I shouldn't give them any ideas

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    heck, I remember when I was debating somebody here a couple years ago that was arguing that Ferrari will have all electric one day....

They were right I was wrong.

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    We will not be going back to stick shifts or small hp cars. When electric takes over, the sports cars will be over 1,000 hp. Its kind of sad as the F12 would have an epic third gear. Small hp cars are fun because they don't go that fast but really your kind of posing as a fast car. In my eyes, more hp generally means more fun up to a point where then you need a track and more talent to appreciate. Still, I will always want a Ferrari to have more hp on the street if only to know its there and race bred.

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    For what its worth, as I sit here ready to watch Monza...

Ferrari is a racing company. It was Enzo Ferrari's dream to be a racing driver, and then to have a winning racing team. And he literally lived his dream. And I think when you look at Ferrari today, race car or road car, you are connecting, in some way, with his dream. And as we all know Ferrari made his name by winning races and the street cars were a means to that end. And thus, the street cars featured a lot of race car technology.

When was the last time a manual transmission was used in F1? Some time in the 90s I believe. I think Ferrari's first use of a paddle transmission was in 1989. A long time ago.

I think just about every other F1 team is based in the UK. There is only one I am aware of based in Italy. The other guys have their differences, but they tend to do things more similarly. Ferrari has always done things its own way.

Yes over the years there has been more and more branding, but at its very core it is a racing company. The Scuderia Ferrari always looks forward. I think you really have to understand this to understand Ferrari.

Even though the differences between race and road cars have grown greater and greater, Ferrari still tries to bring that race car experience into its road cars. Some people might see it more clearly, and some less, but I believe that is their intention.

This is my build up to saying I think the chances of seeing a manual stick shift transmission in a new Ferrari is about as likely as some truly retro styling on a road car: not likely at all.

This is the racing reason for no new car with a stick shift.

The street car side has a few other reasons aside from the race car transfer. First, I think you can say the people buying the new cars have strongly embraced the F1 transmission. We can debate the reasons why, but the take rate has been very strong. Second, it does provide the cars with faster comparative metrics. As the supercar industry has seen metrics like 0-60 times drop in an astounding measure from the 5 second range into below 3 seconds- any time at all lost to changing gears could be the difference between sales success or failure. Of course these faster speeds are the result of the horsepower wars. And, I think there is no debate that horsepower sells. All that power means a mistake in deploying means you could spin the car. While all the cars in the segment have superb electronic systems to assist the driver, Ferrari has clearly made a massive investment in its Manettino setup- this is the front end of a whole raft of technologies the driver might not know are there. Like F1 Trac and the e-diff, and SSC. But they are there. Part of these advanced systems is control over the flow of power to the tires and that includes the transmission. It would be all for naught if a driver could pop a clutch at any time. This is both a performance and a safety reason.

I'm not sure I understand everything, but this is how I see it.

It's just my opinion, but I would be very surprised to see a stick shift option on any new Ferrari.

18. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    have you seen the stock ? enzo is long gone and the bean counters are here

ferrari is an auto manufacturer now....

racing is a marketing expense and when it fails to generate an appropriate return....

19. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    hmmmm that's just a by product.

Ferrari like all the other big companies are now selling "lifestyles"!!!

20. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    The President of Ferrari is also the CEO of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. Sergio Marchionne will dilute the brand to maximize value for shareholders. [NYSE; RACE]

Total cars produced in 1985 - 3,119

Total cars produced in 1997 - 3,518

Total cars produced in 2016 - 8,014

Sergeio wants to produce 10,000 cars a year. He has not put a cap on total production where previous heads of Ferrari did. Sadly, I believe there will be a Ferrari SUV in the next few years and Ferrari production will increase until the market rejects them.

By then, it may be too late.

IMHO

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I hope Ferrari goes to 20k production with a very large and diverse selection of models :)

22. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    ferrari should have an SUV already.... somebody need to be fired.

i recall all the puffery from the porsche folks before the cayenne came out.

if bentley can sell whatever the hell that thing is.....

23. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    At its core its still a racing company.

And yes, I am a shareholder. Bought in around 42. Should have bought way more! :)

24. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Me too

25. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes I am with you guys- for me the question is whether or not I am enjoying driving the car. The funny thing is, I find the new Ferraris to be quite fun to drive as well! They are just different from the older cars. That's how life is, things change. But I am really amazed they can make these cars so much fun to drive!