Y, do I like to watch Mary Poppins, and sing chim chimney chim chim - charoo ? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Y, do I like to watch Mary Poppins, and sing chim chimney chim chim - charoo ?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by ApexOversteer, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    #101 ApexOversteer, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
    Lamborghini Chat

Front Engined Lamborghinis - This section is devoted to the 350/400GT, Islero, Espada, Jarama, LM002 and Estoque - Sticky the large 350/400GT thread as a general discussion thread.

Baby Bulls - This section devoted to the Urraco, Silhouette, Jalpa and Gallardo - Sticky a General Gallardo discussion/photo thread.

The Supers - This section devoted to the Miura, Countach, Diablo and Murcielago. Sticky "Miura: The Original Supercar", "Countach: The Iconic Supercar", and two new general discussion/photo threads, "Diablo: The Extreme Supercar" and "Murcielago: The Modern Supercar". These are left open for continued contribution, with the idea that they function like the F-Chat Showroom section threads do for the Ferrari models represented there, with more specific question threads making up the rest of the section.

Lamborghini Miscellania - This section would be for semi-off topic discussion of Lamborghini specific events, collectibles, and anything else that does not fit elsewhere.

This is just a rough sketch, obviously needing to be fine tuned. Just my own ideas.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The Ultimate Miura Thread
    The Master Miura Thread
    Miura's!
    More Miura's!!!
    All about Miura's
    Post about Miura's
    Miura's ONLY!
    M - I - U - R - A

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Let me make one good, positive organizational suggestion from this thread: lets leave well-enough alone.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Is that what Ferruccio said after the 350 GT?

5. kcassady

kcassady Rookie

Dec 15, 2006
    Dallas / O.C.
    Full Name:
    Koyne Cassady
    Pretty damn cool for a rough sketch......

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Looks good. Nothing wrong with those titles. I wish others would make an effort to start Miura threads.... but thats UP TO THEM, not me.

Its just silly to expect me to start a new thread each time I want to post some interesting Miura material! In fact I think people ENJOY the continuity, and the body of work they can come back to, and it shows by the vies and total posts. Dave (mod) makes it sound like its harder to search for something in one long-standing thread than it is to look through 5 pages of long-lost threads. Baloney.

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #107 joe sackey, Nov 19, 2008
    Nah, he said lets do something radical that we will name MIURA. But he wasn't administering a forum...

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I personally don't think most things should go in a Master <model> thread. I would put anything related to a specific SN in its own thread, I would put anything specific to a certain part in its own thread, I would even start a separate thread if you wanted to talk about only black Miuras, and then of course individual technical questions should be in their own thread. So what is left besides that?

Exactly, I have a great idea! How about we call YOUR one thread to post interesting Miura material and enjoy the continuity of YOUR thoughts the... get ready for this everyone, it is a huge idea. We should call it "Joe's Miura Thread".

Dang that came out so easy and makes so much sense it hurts.

9. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    #109 ApexOversteer, Nov 19, 2008
    I'm sorry but IMO the answer to "what should we call the Miura thread Joe started?" should be "whatever Joe titled it." After all his name appears directly under the title anyway.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    So a PROLIFERATION of multiple threads about essentially the same thing is a good thing, but lengthy titles isnt?

Jeez...

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    THANK YOU...

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    call a spade a spade.

13. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Expecting a noob to know who the *uck Joe is re "Joe's Miura thread" vs something more inviting like "Miura, The Original Supercar" seems nutty to me. Appears more like a clique.

-mick

14. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    so lets summarize:

subscribed and nosubscibed users in favor of leaving the thread titles alone unless violate TOS: unanimous

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ahh, I finally understand your disconnect and why you are supporting nonsense so much. you just simply don't understand the taxonomy of a good internet forum.

A Miura thread title will gain the interest of someone looking for anything Miura, each and every post to this master thread will require users to visit the thread and sort through the posts for what interests them. At some point they will go to this master thread and find many posts don't interest them and they will ignore it. Maybe that's a reason the percentages on even the 2nd most active user on your threads are so low?

The entire concept of taxonomy with a good internet forum is efficiency for both the poster and reader. My examples of Miura topics that deserve their own thread will allow all to get to the point easier if not in some master thread. The thread title isn't general, on quick glance it tells you "Pictures of black Miuras". The thread originator will get most responses that apply only to what they intend and others that act as consumers and suppliers to the thread are efficiently participating as well.

Tell me why a master Miura thread is a good thing? I already agree that a master Joe's Miura thread is a good thing.

16. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I won't argue that point, as it does have some merit.

but that's not really what I'm talking about with my point about noobs.

My point is, if it ain't hospitable in here, new folks aren't gonna stay. If you all want to continue to discuss the same old stuff with the same old folks, then driving out the new guys will do that. But that is not what this site is about.

Dave

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's the point, new users or any users for that matter shouldn't be invited into what is a general master Miura thread. there should only be Joe's Miura thread and then individual Miura threads. Not much reason for creating threads and forums otherwise. FerrariChat would be about 100 master threads. You can disagree with me, but I find that a mess and very inefficient. System would be running much slower too as everyone loaded from a few threads, including content they weren't interested in, and the system strain from additional searches to narrow down which posts in a master thread were relevant vs. a short 20 post thread.

18. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    +1

19. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Many apologies. I throught I read "joke" instead of "joe" in your original post.

Cheers.

P.s, I'm here because I like the site and share a passion for the cars...

20. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #120 2NA, Nov 19, 2008
    Rob,

It appears that you are trying to promote multiple Miura threads in an effort to make "surfing" more feasible. This is not a bad thing.

It is a mystery to me (and most of us) what that has to do with shortened titles (how many times does it take to make the point that "Sharpie" was an important word, the thread doesn't make sense without it).

Break the forum into sub-categories, leave it the same, or just delete the whole thing it's yours to piss away if you want.

The drama that this forum is infamous for was pretty much non-existent until this crap started. I suspect that none of this vitriole would be here if things had been left as is (or at least a plan for forum improvement had been announced and discussed).

I sense a "chilling effect" from having a persons writing arbitrairily edited without any known rules being violated.

21. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Agreed. But... a week later and voila this is now the reason... sure. and the reason this hasn't been mention in 200+ posts?

It has nothing to do with it. this has been questioned numerous times and completely ignored because it is indefensible. it was done because they could. that's it.

remember joe also had his words in the body of a post changed to alter the meaning... and the purpose of that was???

all this is revisionist BS and face saving...

22. dbaker89

dbaker89 Formula 3

Sep 29, 2007
    Reno, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Simon is right on the money.

As much as I respect this forum and Rob, he is wrong here.

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Rob lets not turn this around. My objection was, and is, that thread content including titles should not be changed unless there is an infringement of the rules. Period.

That premise has 100% support among posters as documented in this thread.The people have spoken. You can choose to be wise and listen to your people, or not. Its your party, and you can kick us all out if you like.

This reminds me of a well-known mechanic who ran his shop in a similar manner. Nobody goes there anymore...

24. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Then I'm going to ask this again.

Why wasn't the 350/400GT thread retitled as "Fred's 350/400GT Thread". Out of 230+ posts, Fred has 85+ posts and Marcello has 50+ posts.

Does anyone else see how this discrepency might be a tiny part of why some folks think there are personal, ulterior motives to these changes?

(I'm not saying there are personal, ulterior motives, I'm simply showing a reason why people might think that, given the reasoning that has been given to us for the changes)

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    +1.

Speaks volumes of the place...