Y, do I like to watch Mary Poppins, and sing chim chimney chim chim - charoo ? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Y, do I like to watch Mary Poppins, and sing chim chimney chim chim - charoo ?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by ApexOversteer, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    E X A C T L Y!

Guilty as charged by the people.

Your honor, I have nothing further.

2. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Oh, one more thing your honor, can you please not forget "Phillipe's Espada thread" ??

Thank You.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    +2

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes and also exploring having sub-forums under LamborghiniChat.

I agree with the Sharpie title and you don't see me changing titles elsewhere in FerrariChat, but this is Ralphs forum to moderate and it has some unique problems. This is simply a process as already described by me where I support Ralph and his idea, it is also part of the process to evaluate the idea after testing. What doesn't work can be changed back. Ralph is out right now, but has said he will address this when he gets back.

It disappoints me you would say this after being a long time good user of FerrariChat. All Ralph did is edit some thread titles and there were probably some mistakes in that. I really don't want any users around that are so thin skinned and would turn their back on the community for something so small. There are a ton of mistakes made by me, mods, users, sponsors, and my server admin daily that we learn from and move forward. It is all about becoming a better community. If you are looking for little things to pick on and be negative, then there are plenty. I welcome users that are willing to work with and not against us.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We have been talking about several things here Dan, instead of always being there to add a +1 to any attack on me or FerrariChat.com please list out all your reasons why I am wrong so I can address them one by one. I will be happy to address each one.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I can start a poll and I bet you a Miura that there is not 100% support for "titles should not be changed unless there is an infringement of the rules. Period."

Come on, put money where your mouth is.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    shhh, you are going to give Ralph an idea after missing that one! :)

8. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    I for one appreciate your patience and that this thread has been allowed to continue.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Don't worry, I'm mad as hell I got roped into this thread and defending the mod actions when the mod that did it isn't even around and I don't believe that strongly in it to begin with. :)

10. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Really? Doesn't show... :D

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I've re-read about the last 30 posts in here and I have a question, which none of you guys is willing, or maybe able to answer.

Was the thread title change, in and of itself, terribly offensive? Did it hit some kind of raw nerve? Was there not a moment when some of you thought, " Hey, that's kind of funny." or "Well, the threads are dominated by Joe's posts, after all."

Or, are some if not all of you angry now because we seem unmoved by your emotional outbursts, your hue and cry about how unfair this all is. Is it the fact that the thread titles got changed, or that we seem unwilling to change them back even though you are convinced they didn't need changing. Is this all about control? About who "controls" the LamboChat forum?

Maybe it's a maturity thing. What Ralph did was immature perhaps? Take a peek in the mirror before you go too far down that road.

Can I have some honest self assessments here on this? What's really buggin' you guys? I find it almost impossible to believe we could have three threads, and multiple hundreds of posts of outrage over something this trivial.

Now, let me tell you what bugs me about what's going on in here right now. You guys are the toughest bunch of guys I have ever dealt with. You're aggressive, overbearing, and unwilling to bend even the least little bit during this entire discussion. Not one inch, not a millimeter, and that's unfortunate. Being intractable is not a helpful trait in a public forum. It inevitably leads to conflict. I've tossed a couple options out there for you guys to discuss, but we inevitably run back to, "But you changed the thread titles, and that's wrong."

I can't speak to Ralph's motivation for the thread title changes. I've changed thread titles before to add clarity, or remove ALL CAPS, or simply to help the original poster with his spelling or grammar. I've even done it on a couple of occasions when the thread, or the guy who started it, had become so preposterous as to warrant it. I don't think that's a bad thing, and neither have any of the folks I did this for or to. If Ralph did it to have some good natured fun, I don't see the harm in that. If he did it so that some new threads would be started about the cars in question, I don't see the harm in that either. If he did it to put a more appropriate title on the thread, then well, I'm ok with that too. Maybe you guys are taking this just a little too seriously? And, the more noise you make, the harder it becomes for either party to back away from the precipice. It's like Mutually Assured Destruction. Who is gonna blink first.

Going forward, I can't guarantee that no thread title will be changed. Sometimes they need to be changed. LONG, VERBOSE, EXCESSIVE, DRAWN OUT THREAD TITLES IN CAPS seems a little silly too, and might occasionally need to be addressed. Maybe you guys can try to work a little more flexibility into your lives here. What could it hurt? As a moderator, I'll try to do the same.

Dave M

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Rob: I said "in this thread", thus far its been 100%, thats all.

13. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    #138 ApexOversteer, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
    To me the idea that my thread titles and posts can be changed, without having infringed upon any content or conduct rule, is unbelievable. I have never seen such a thing in almost 15 years of posting on (and moderating) moderated internet forums. I agreed to conform to the content and conduct rules of FerrariChat when I joined the conversation after lurking for some time. But rules aren't just there to protect the forum, they are there to protect me and my fellow user as well. If someone hasn't broken the rules of content or conduct, you just do not mess with their words.

Now, if the length of thread titles is the issue, the answer is simple. Adjust the number of characters allowed within thread titles to a more satisfactory number. The current limit seems to be set to 85 characters, far too long. If the problem was inaccuracies in the description of the thread by the thread title the customary solution is for the mod to PM the thread starter, alert them that the title needs to be changed and request a new, more accurate title.

In a way, yes this is about control. If we are following the content and conduct rules the users should be allowed to control what they say without anyone else being allowed to arbitrarily make changes to their words.

Mind you this is only part of the current problem. I haven't yet seen anything that tells me, for sure, that certain things weren't done with a personal agenda in mind. It may have been meant as humorous, but that is still a personal agenda and things of this nature shouldn't come from a moderator.

As Rob says mistakes are made by everyone, all the time. I'm hoping we can figure out where these mistakes were made, make the adjustments needed, and learn from them. On Both Sides.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    even in this thread you wouldn't get 100%.

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #140 joe sackey, Nov 19, 2008
    Dave: I suggest you leave the responses to Rob, or even to Ralf to explain his own actions when he gets back from 'vacation'. Clearly you'll never get the central issue and so your explanations are falling on deaf ears. You are immovable and uncompromising in your position of not understanding, so why should anyone afford you different?

I suppose this goes to the basic premise that human beings dont like their communications changed or altered without permission. When you were 6 years old, if your big brother changed the lines on the gun turrets of the army tank that you had drawn and posted on the fridge because he thought it looked better, youd be mad as heck and probably wanna kill him. Its that simple. DONT CHANGE MY **** (unless of course Im being offensive, racist etc). Its human nature. Try changing the title of an essay or an e-mail that your wife or significant other has already posted and see what happens to you!!! Get the picture? Stop trying to act like this is no big deal. It insults our collective intelligence nd makes you look like you have your head in the sand (I will resist...) Yet you note that there has been 3 threads on this. Obviously it matters to many and it IS a big deal. Ralf made a mistake and thats the bottom line. He convinced Rob that it was a good idea, but Im sure Rob in his heart is not so sure now!

Even though this is Rob's place, its has to be run with a certain amount of discretion, or else things go sour quickly. Whilst we are all wasting our time here, no car stuff is being posted, and a noob will come on and see the unyielding administration of this forum - thats what they will see. That should get them to join right away....

I dont want to hear your sob story "moderators dont get paid" etc.... NEITHER do us contributors! Everyone participating is giving their time (well, Rob gets paid, but thats another story), and our time DOES make this place more attractive to a noob who wanders in and says "coool, there is a LONG thread with TONS of info that will help me restore my Dino, or Miura, or whatever, I think Im gonna subscribe!". It happens, and the efforts of us contributors does have a positive effect. The fact that it is being suggested that the focus on the threads I started is anything but the cars is utter NONSENSE. Read them. A wealth of info on the particular model if I may say so myself. Take a poll if you like and Im sure most will agree without hesitation.

The fact remains that Ralf changed my thread but not Freds or Phillipe's. Right there it screams "personal ulterior motives". Dont feed us this "he missed the others" BS... Im willing to overlook anything personal and just stick to a solid premise:

If a poster places a post that is within the rules and is non-offensive, leave it alone.

Im reminded of a PM from poster (he will smile when he reads this). He asks why Rob dosnt jut see that people en masse are not cool with it, and save face and show judgment by just putting it back and moving on. The analogy he gives is that you guys are digging a hole for yourselves: first by hand, then with a shovel, then with a backhoe .... soon with dynamite.

On a personal note, why dont you stop paying attention to those chronic complainers who seek to cause trouble by running to you guys complaining about the Lambo section - you know the ones very well... The envious types who contribute little more to F-Chat than the occasional "great car, enjoy it in good health" comment.

I don't think the Lambo section is that bad, aside from our dear Roy's scrapes - which youll note that I have nothing to do with whatsoever.

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    OK 99%

17. pdisme

pdisme Formula 3

Oct 9, 2006
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow, Dave M, you need to really calm down, you have a seriously misconstrued view of how the world works. I feel like I should be begging to be present here after this thread.

18. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I'm glad I was finally able to get your attention.

This never would have grown into what it has if not for the collective passion in this group. If we didn't care about it we wouldn't be here.

Ralph is a valued contributor. That this came suddenly from him with no clear explanation was most unexpected.

19. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas

So Joe was not renewed, but still chose to stick around despite the hint ? Must be some real value to the business to have a presence on fchat.... post lots of stuff in return for the perception of "expert"....can't be bad for car sales eh ?

All this noise over a thread title change ? Hilarious ! Free the oppressed ! FREE JOE SACKEY ! hahahahaha

20. wassabihg

wassabihg Formula 3

Feb 6, 2006
    They should let him be anyway... Saving bandwidth on noobs' searches by naming threads more effectively isn't a good enough reason for the moderator's actions.

Why alienate a good contributor?

21. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Monster threads with large #'s of bumps and views that only serve to feed an ego/car sales, should be identified as such....hence the title "Joe's _____ Thread" seems appropriate to me....

22. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    #147 gday, Nov 19, 2008
    I'd say a few of us have seen forums moderated for many a good reason. That includes titles. Titles like "pics here" don't do much for me and I'm happy to see them edited to be more descriptive.

The problems with some of the recent alterations is that there hasn't been a convincing need for them to be changed. They appear to be less descriptive, less friendly etc and the reasons stated so far seem obtuse and the changes don't seem to be adding value but rather the opposite.

-mick

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    As always, your talent for espousing erroneous information is second to none.

I WAS renewed... do a bit more checking of facts and you'll be a bit more knowledgeable...

24. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Well, there are certainly no personal feelings or agenda bourne upon that post.

25. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas

Your talent for self-righteous indignation is fuelling this thread...keep it up, great entertainment :)