Yo Ho Yo Ho a Shaughnessy Barn Find for me! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Shaughnessy Barn Find for me!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by T308, Jul 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Great story. Congradualtions! Unless the motor is absolute trash, this car must be saved...

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Truly a great barn find and story. Thanks!

3. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Terrific story.....just as great as anything I can find on a good issue of Forza. Wish you the best of luck.

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    What an awesome story! Best of luck to you in getting the car to what you want, and hopefully you'll be sharing the tale in august!

--Dan

5. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    The color combo is starting to grow on me. I must admit I was thinking of doing it up with the Grigio Metalizzo/Pelle Rossa, but I might just go for the Ivory. I've seen so many GTEs showing up in variations of Silver/Red (it does look great on the car, I must admit) that I might buck the trend. To be honest, I'm going to get it mechanically right, live with it, drive the hell out of it for a while and then work on the paint and metal. I cannot wait for the first drive...

T308

6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I think these older cars look great in what some people think is an undesirable color. My car will some day return to its original white with silver roof.

7. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Neri. Hmm, too bad it's not the fictional "Albert Neri" Michael Corleone's "Luca Brasi". Now that'd make a nice story for the car. I wonder who he (she?) was (is)?

As for the PF job code, to be honest, I only looked quickly, I might have missed a digit. I'll double check.

T308

8. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    I'll need all the luck I can get! I'm hoping the "GTE guys" at Concorso will welcome me into the fold. The car won't make it this year, but 2006 for sure.

T308

9. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Indeed. October 62 could mean just about anything! I'm hoping that I can get the title changed to reflect 1962 (it reads 1963 now). I'd like to kit the car out with a set of Yellow Background / Black Letter California plates that were on my parents wedding car (a 1962 Pontiac Tempest LeMans!) in 1962 which I still have. I'd like to return them to the road but the California DMV will only allow that for cars 1962 and earlier. Hopefully that won't be too much trouble to make happen, but then again this is the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia!

I'll give the wax/tinfoil a try and let you know if it works. If you're interested, I'll post the info (including the engine number).

T308

10. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    You may need long fingers and good knees for that. It might be useful t know that 3969GT has gearbox 703E, so yours should be somewhere in high 6xx. It may sound crazy, but you get a very good estimate by multiplying the rear end number by 1.15.

And yes, I appriace any numbers you are able to report, because I'm heavily into numbers.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They look far better in white/cream than red IMO ... shows off the elegant lines.

Good luck.
    Pete

12. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Congrats you lucky bastard ;)

13. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Fantastic story! Sounds like it generally went smooth, but a few Federales thrown in there would've added some spice. :) The color combo is definitely a keeper though as it's different & looks amazing on it. Congrats x100! :D

14. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Great find, Great story, Great pictures!!!!
    Thanks for sharing!!

15. PacificTerrain

May 24, 2004
    Great Story! Thanks for sharing. The car looks outstanding.

16. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    There's nothing better than a good treasure hunt story! This one has a happy ending too....well a happy middle. I imagine the car still needs a ton of work. It took me about a year to find my Europa, but the adventure was not nearly as interesting to tell as this one was! Thanks for sharing such a great tale!!

Ken

17. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    ?
    We are the mid-bottom feeders of the V12 world ! Come on over !
    Congrats on a great find.

18. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Great news! I thought you were kidding when you said you were going to spend some time in Tom's parts bin! Wonderful find and good luck. To be different maybe a repaint in verde or bleu scuro or bleu sera. Dark colors seem to make our 2+2's look smaller and more athletic.

19. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Fabulous! Well done and good luck with the car!

20. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Sorry I had to play coy with you, but I couldn't say what I was up to for fear that someone might beat us to it. Tom's favorite barn find phrase is "Loose Lips sink ships (and cars!)".

I'll measure that trunk strut for you when I'm down "in the parts bid" next.

T308

21. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Awesome story--Just makes you want to smile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Agreed in all respects.... But you could have lied a bit and told us of some wild and frightening tale with Federales (You don't look like Federales... If you are Federales, where are your badges? Badjges? Weee don't neeed no steenkeeng badjges!!) :D

Congratulations!

TS - Serving his fellow car enthusiasts' needs!

23. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Well, I did leave out the bit about the Coors Light girl at the Otay Mesa Mini-Mart. She tried to sell us on a 24 pack of Coors Light, an autographed poster of her and God knows what else but Tom insisted on Diet Coke and Diet Coke alone (and don't dare offer him the Splenda version, I tried that and he went tapioca!). He's hopelessly addicted to the stuff. I think he drank a whole 24 pack in about four hours. If you want to pry that special part, tool kit or manual out of Shaughnessy, just send him a couple of cases of the silver and red cans from Atlanta.

T308

24. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Congratulations! A great read too..

25. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What a great thread. I am glad everything worked out.