track day protection | FerrariChat

track day protection

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by [email protected], Jun 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doctp12@aol.com

Nov 4, 2003
    I have a track day coming up in July and will have my Stradale out all day. The front end has perfect paint as well as the Clear Plastic Protection 3M tape pretty much everywhere.

What should I use to protect the nose and other areas from pebbles on the track? I have seen lots of drivers placing "Racing Tape" all over the nose. Should I place this over the "Clear 3M Plastic"? What type of tape do you recommend? Will the tape pull off the 3M clear bra at the end of ther day?

2. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    IMO, the 3M tape should be good enough. for the others areas you can use blue painters tape.

3. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    I track my CS often. After two track days, the car had more spots than a Dalmatian. I spent several hours rubbing off rubber marks from the nose and sides. The tape would prevent that.

Even the sides protected with clear film were chipped when I went off track and kicked up gravel. Adding tape over the clear film may help.

4. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    #4 apexdc, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
    Try TrakkTape. Great temporary protection and not as ugly as blue tape.

Some of the clear 3M tapes have pretty aggressive adhesives. TrakkTape is intended to be for temporary protection of nice surfaces, so it is sticky, but not too sticky.

www.trakktape.com

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Whichever you use, don't neglect covering behind the wheel wells, as the tires turn they can kick up gravel and clag.

6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    but well worth it!

I got rubber marks all over mine...took two detailing sessions and a wax job to get it off. The side skirts got the worst of it actually. And you will get paint chips in all sorts of places. Flying rubber was the worst, but all sorts of stuff comes at you. I taped the lower sides and it helped a lot, I used some sort of "track tape" that they sold at the track made specially for this because it would not leave sticky residue...and...of course...it left tons.

Experienced folks at the track said "go get blue painters tape at Lowe's" and it will work better for you. Next time...

7. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    If your car flares out in front of the rear wheels, that area gets blasted with debris coming off the front tires, as well. It's a good idea to do more than one layer of whatever you are using in those areas.

Debris from the car ahead has a little time to lose energy. Not so on things coming off your own tires.

Been using TrakkTape on one of my student's 458 Italia with good results.

8. neetad

neetad Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 19, 2011
    I have been working to find a better solution for track days than the typical goofy Blue Tape. After trying a number of products over the last year, I think I have a better option.

9. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue

Perhaps get the tape made in a glossy red ? I've often thought the same with the blue tarps seen after major storms tear an area up , why dosen't somebody make these tarps with about 4 different rood tile color patterns ?

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    trakktape is garbage......

trackwrap.com

11. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    It can also be important to remove rubber marks from your clear-film VERY SOON after the track day. After one weekend, I waited until Wednesday to wash the car. I rubbed and rubbed soap and water trying to remove five rubber marks from my hood. The result is I have worn scratches in my clear-film. Not sure if a detail guy can get this off. If not, I'll have to have that panel of film replaced.

One track buddy recommends Simple Green (solvent/cleaner) on the clear-film. He just sprays it on right at the track and wipes off the rubber immediately.

12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

What do you recommend instead? Your reference above goes nowhere.

13. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Turtlewax bug and tar remover with a wet rag works really well.

I used to use one of those wet your car and then spray on the instant wax combos to wax my track car ahead of time as that really helps keep the junk from sticking so badly.

I always clean my car completely right after my last session and put that instant wax on it .

Rainex on the glass.

If you're going to do this a lot get a peel off protective film for the windshield. They're available for a lot of cars or you can have one made or get a generic piece and fit it yourself.

It's not a concours wax and detail job but it really helps.

14. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    sorry

tracwrap.com

15. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    Hi,

Just curious what your bad experience was with TrakkTape?

Thanks,

16. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    side by side...tracwrap is just a far superior product. it is very thick, pliable and sticks very well - run, sun and shine and especially at speed.

17. blockbuster

blockbuster Karting
    Owner

Nov 26, 2006
    U.S.
    Where can I buy Trakk Tape?

18. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    trakktape is garbage u want tracwrap........... i think its tracwrap.com

19. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    Trakktape.com

Try a roll. I have a LOT of satisfied customers. If you don't like it, I'll buy it back.

Also, check this thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588565

and this one:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563895

If anyone wants a large roll, 600 feet x 6" wide x 5 mil thick, use Racers Net code on the above site. Normal price of $145 will then be $120. Use FC120.

Email me with any questions at [email protected].

Thanks for the interest!

20. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    Hi,

For TrakkTape, (the leading track day protection ), the Racers Net code FC120 now only works here.

Ordering

I needed to protect my other distributors, so took it off the main TrakkTape site. This allows me to still offer the $120 6 inch by 600 foot roll, instead of the normal $145 retail price.

Watch for others using TrakkTape at the track, as that is our best referral. We are also proud to be endorsed by Hooked on Driving nationwide and available on their web site, as well.

As always, email me (David) [email protected] or call at 760-285-2220 with any questions.

100% satisfaction guaranteed including return shipping, and if you spot me at some event in SoCal, I'll even buy you lunch!

Have fun on track!

21. mswncity

mswncity Karting

Feb 10, 2012
    Hailey, ID
  22. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    To keep break dust and clag sticking to your wheels, wax them liberally. Don't buff it too much, as the generous amount of wax will help protect better.
    Works great.

23. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
  24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    No experience with other products but tracwrap (tracwrap.com) is made by XPEL which is what I have over the entire front end of my 360. This past weekend used tracwrap to cover some areas that needed some protection based on prior track day. Easy to put on. As noted is very thick, yet pliable. Was on for three days, including track day in sun all day. Came off as easy as it went on.