Experience with carbon ceramic brakes? | FerrariChat

Experience with carbon ceramic brakes?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by RBM, Nov 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Does anyone have any personal experience using the Ferrari factory carbon ceramic brakes for heavy track use?

2. 430ScudMonster

430ScudMonster Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    SFL
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have used the CCB on the Scuderia at Palm Beach International Raceway under heavy race hot laps. I am impressed. Do you have any specific questions?

3. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    They are every bit as important as air jacks!

4. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    How many track weekends can you get from a set of rotors? (assuming you are lapping at speeds appropriate for top level advanced students or instructors) How many from a set of pads? Has anyone had an abrupt/catastrophic failure of a rotor from overheating or delamination (similar to some PCCB rotor failures on Porsches)? Cost of replacement rotors? Cost of replacement pads?

5. krzys@earthlink.net

[email protected] Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2007
    Darien, ct
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof
    #6 [email protected], Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
    Rotors can last a couple of years, if you consistently replace the pads before they are half-used.
    A two-day at WGI back in September on new pads, and I had to replace them after the event. A pair of front pads (they go really fast, the rears hold up much longer): $1,700/pair with labor at a Ferrari dealership.

I had a fun adventure at PBIR, back in March, when the right front pad delaminated and I drove two laps on a naked rotor. Fun. I have it on video. You can hear the horrible screeching, but I did not hear it with the helmet on. Replacement of the front rotors plus pads: $17k.

I suspect the delamination happened b/c Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale screwed up the installation, since the pads were pretty much new.

One more thing, I do around 20-30 track days a year.

6. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    OK, sounds very comparable to my Porsche experience. Thanks!

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #8 WCH, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
    RBM - my experience mirrors that of krzysztof. I guess I'd criticize Ferrari if they didn't offer CCBs, but on a track or race car I'm convinced they are more a marketing gimmick than a competitive advantage - like the 430C's air jacks, which serve the valuable function of ... adding weight. I've dealt with CCBs on a Stradale and a prior 430C, and plan to convert to steel on my current 430C. Good luck, Will

Edit - on a street car, CCBs look cooler and are cleaner than the alternative, so I'm all for them off the track.

8. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    look cool? that's a marketing gimmick as well. $20,000 jewelry for your car.

don't get me wrong, i like them, but they are definitely a gimmick no matter the use.

9. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "that's a marketing gimmick as well"

No, my friend, that's not a marketing gimmick - that's a lifestyle.

10. solowmodel

solowmodel Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2009
    Seoul, London, VA
    Full Name:
    WK
    Well they're standard now, so at least that spares you the dilemma :)

11. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well my experience relates to track events, one 430 spider with CCB did over around 200 hard laps of our tight circuit in the space of 2 years and there were no brake issues, pads were fine, rotors were fine.

Towards the end of ownership there was some slight squeal when but pads were still fine.

CCB vs steel, in my opinion there is no contest.

12. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Check this previous thread.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225363&highlight=ccm+brake+life

CCM brake does not last nearly as long as people think under racing conditions. One set of rotors and 2 sets of pads in just 2 race weekends on 430 Challenge with slicks is too rich for my blood. I have switched to GT3 spec Brembo steel brakes with equal or better performance. The cost savings on consumables over one race season has already paid for the conversion.

13. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    What was the conversion charge and where was it done please...

14. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    My own team mechanics did it at local F dealer's workshop as part of our GT3 conversion at beginning of the race season.

If I recall correctly parts totaled about $20,000 and that's using proper Brembo racing parts.

Compare that to one set of CCM rotors and pads costing $21,000 after discount.

15. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    About 3 months ago in California a rotor on a Scuderia exploded at 170 mph. I know Roland Linder was driving the car. I believe it happened during one of those driving events where the students are trying to reach 200 mph.

16. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    can't be. $20k for iron rotor conversion is not reasonable. parts are less than $5000.

17. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Brembo racing calipers + rotors + hats + mounts + pads for less than $5,000? You have got to be joking.

18. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Yes, I am aware Brembo street car Gran Tourismo big brake kits are much cheaper. I have those kits on my 550, but my comment was for Brembo "racing" components we used in our GT3 spec conversion of our 430C. Brembo racing and Brembo street components are entirely different grades of products not just in price but in performance and quality.

I would never put street brake kits on a race car. No brakes at over 230kph is not something I like to experience more than once in a life time. :D

19. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    #21 chrismorse, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
    I have no experience with CCM brakes, but have done a few big brake upgrades. It is very light, costs a ton and is not magic, it still must obey the laws of thermodynamics.

I have noticed, in every single specific car forum that "stock" brakes, as delivered are not up to real track use. what i have seen is that the pads and rotors wear out - very fast under real track conditions - from the early cars, through 308s, 348, 355, an 360s. I suspect that "stock"CCM brakes will not last as well.

Even CCm is gonna die and cost a ton, unless you can keep the temps within reason.

I installed the Brembo 360 big brake upgrade kit, (355-32 rotors & 42-44mm calipers on the front of my 308 and basically grafted the 360 brakes on to the rear, Girodisc aluminum hats and custom brackets & 330-28 floating rear rotors with the 308 Brembo big brake calipers on the rear.

Zero fade and no detectable wear after three track days. I would be willing to admit that the 308 is not a rocket, or the ultimate test of a brake system, but i think you get my point.

If the rotor is sized large enough to stay under critical temps, it will last.

chris

20. car21

car21 Rookie

Dec 13, 2009
    #22 car21, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    Challenge conversion to Brembo steel $7500 outside a dealer.

21. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm with CWWHK. There is a huge difference between a real race brake kit and a cobbled together something bigger kit.

22. rb4u

rb4u Rookie

Oct 5, 2013
  23. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Love mine in my Scud - will never convert to steel