Physical Damage Insurance for Racing | FerrariChat

Physical Damage Insurance for Racing

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by WCH, Dec 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #1 WCH, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    I'm aware of a few prior threads on the topic, but IMO they need updating.

I am interested in physical damage insurance, for a 430 Challenge car, for amateur racing - SCCA or FCR, for example. NOT drivers ed, track days and the like.

It's easy to get storage and transport insurance. Had it myself through Heacock.

It's possible to get insurance for track days and DE.

For wheel to wheel racing, I haven't had much luck.

For example, motorsports insurer WSIB, given a projected schedule of 9 SCCA races, a $20k deductible and max coverage of $200k, came back with tentative premium pricing of ....

No, I'm going to make you guess. Let's see if anyone comes close.

I have another quote at around $15k premium, with a $20k deductible, $200k coverage, unlimited days on track. FYI $200k coverage is their number, not mine. The market value of the car seems irrelevant.

So far - two quotes.

K&K says it doesn't have a product that will cover what I want to do.

Have checked a number of other sources, though I don't have my notes with me as I write this. I'm inclined to self-insure. Ideas? No lectures, please, I've been doing this a long time and am well aware of the risks, as well as the special circumstances associated with Challenge cars (the controlled availability of 430C structural parts, for example).

Years ago I insured a 911 for PCA Club Racing, value of the car was maybe $50k, premium was $3500 or so for 30 days on track - but that was a long time ago, and I can't imagine the insurers' experience with racing has been very good.

Thank you, Will

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Once upon a time, I represented Heacock and K&K as an agent. Several years ago.

I didn't think such an animal as you describe actually existed. And I spent considerable time investigating the matter back then.

So my guess is, $100k is the premium for 200k max coverage and a 20k deductible.

If I were you, I would self insure.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
  5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    My guess is to get a racing coverage limit of $200K they want between $100K and $150K.

This basically means they don't want to cover the risk.
    This also means it will be less expensive for you to cover it yourself.

6. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    You are basically asking an insurance company to take the risk that you don't seem to be willing to take in what is the classic definition of a high risk sport. Not many companies are willing to take on that risk.

If you can't afford to wreck it, don't race it...

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "You are basically asking an insurance company to take the risk that you don't seem to be willing to take in what is the classic definition of a high risk sport. Not many companies are willing to take on that risk.

If you can't afford to wreck it, don't race it... "

Take another look at my first post, specifically this part:

No lectures, please, I've been doing this a long time and am well aware of the risks, as well as the special circumstances associated with Challenge cars (the controlled availability of 430C structural parts, for example).

8. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    How long we gotta wait for the answer?

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    how do you keep an idiot in suspense?

:p

10. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003

You stepped on the punchline with your $100k guess! ;)

I thought the quoted premium was so high it was funny - couldn't imagine anyone would pay it. Then you guys came in with your estimates ...

Quote was $40,000.

Knowing how easy it is to do $40k damage to a 430C, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Thanks to all for comments and suggestions. If I find anything, I'll post.

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    $40k really isn't that ridiculous. but still a tough check to write...

12. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #12 WCH, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

I'll just self-insure.

I suspect their claims history has been grim. If one had contractual obligations to field a car, it might make sense.

13. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003

Peter, Cap Coverage places their insurance through WSIB. Patrick at Cap Coverage has been extremely helpful, but WSIB's premium quote is $40k, just doesn't make sense for an amateur who can self-insure.

Thanks for the heads up.

14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    WCH,

Just don't hit anything, and you'll be fine!

CW

15. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003

With my mad skilz, what could go wrong?

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
  17. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    LOL!!

That's my current insurance policy

18. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Same here. My insurance company? You're looking at him!

CW

19. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #19 WCH, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
    Based on my inquiries, there seems to be little reason to do anything other than self-insure.

Notwithstanding the bravado here, what I have actually seen at many tracks in many series is that there's a lot of swagger until things go wrong, and then there's a lot of blaming and whining. Having done this more than many, and being well aware of the risks, I thought a survey of the insurance market might be worthwhile. Had a 911 insured for PCA Club Racing perhaps 10 years ago, it appears the market may have tightened. I sense that the insurance situation would be better for my '05 996 Cup Car than for the Ferrari, for perhaps obvious reasons. I may find that I miss formula cars and sports racers for more reasons than just the slow, heaviness of the sedans.

20. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I do think the available products have dwindled and/or become so expensive as to be essentially value-less unless it's a total write-off. The last track insurance policy I remember pricing out had a $20K premium and a $20K deductible. Can't recall the limit. But, $40K buys a lot of repairs...

CW

21. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    Where their value comes in is for rent-a-rides.

22. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I can't think of any insurance in any field that hasn't seen a cost increase in recent years. Regular auto, homeowner's, and mortgage insurance (PMI) have all gone up as losses have mounted, due to various factors. Interesting thread, though. you never know unless you ask!

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    tangential but somewhat related question (not worth starting a new thread):

so you buy a race car, not street legal, not titled, so you can't get a regular auto policy on it.

of course you can buy (at some expense) a policy for on-track damage.

but what about other coverage? is it considered personal property and can be added to a homeowner's policy? what about during transport to and from the track (i.e. on a trailer)?

24. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003

What some brokers call STP (storage, transport and paddock) insurance is readily avaiable from a number of companies. I had a 430 Challenge car covered by Heacock for a while.

25. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Great story about this. My one of clients, who I won't name, raced the Indy Car series in the late 80s, early 90s. Had a great year, and decided that they didn't need the coverage, since it had cost them 100k for the season, and they only used. 10k of it. Next year, without insurance, they ran up 250k in just parts from crash damage. If this is your first season, I'd buy the coverage, you will probably need it.

Art