Does anyone have info on this race car? | FerrariChat

Does anyone have info on this race car?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Wade, Dec 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #1 Wade, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Looks the business.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    belt-driven AWD with inboard brakes?

4. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    don't really know anything about the project but i did see the body buck and mold at a composite shop here in sf bay area a couple years ago... i don't know if any parts were made or not... it looked like it had been sitting for a while.

5. E40racer

E40racer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2008
    Belgium
  6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Thank you, and the link provides updated info as well (V-8 engine).

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    chain, not belt drive AWD (which makes more sense) with inboard brakes.

fascinating little car :)

8. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
  9. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    How does this work? The driver certainly can't match the weight of the engine and trans so will he just try to make it work in corner balancing? Is it even possible with such a huge difference in weight distribution?

10. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    It doesn't, away from websites, sales brochures and in real life. Besides, there is no torsional rigidity with this narrow center box section.

430 bhp in an 80 inch wheelbase? Hmmm. That would potentially suck, be very difficult to drive and be hard to achieve the level of confidence in to really go quick.

From their sales info: "Despite similar performance (confirmed by driver-in-the-loop simulation on several tracks such as Laguna Seca), the D1 is only 1/10th the cost of the LMP2 racer, both in initial purchase and operational costs."

Sim comparison is easy, in real life is all that counts.

Christian Zugel in his RS Spider at Laguna Seca would smoke this thing...

11. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    A normal car is lopsided towards the driver's side. How is this different?

12. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Magnitude.

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The Indy turbines cars from the sixties were configured the same...

http://www.motorsportsartist.com/carart/2010/03/1967-stp-turbine-indy-500-car/

14. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
  15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, please disregard my mindless post last night... it was just after the company Christmas party. :)

16. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I just spent a few minutes on their website and basically it is a full space frame now, so torsional rigidity isn't an issue.

I see lots of short wheelbase go karts going pretty darn fast and they appear to be pretty driveable. Also,this thing has 4 wheel drive, so it isn't like the back end will be trying to consantly pass the front end.

I'm sure the RS would, but this is an "out of the box" solution, we don't have any comparative data to really evaluate it. Remember that in the CanAm days gokarts were turning lap times that would have put them in the middle of the CanAm grid. 250CC superkarts are, as you well know, wicked fast. I think that it's more a matter of development, how much and how much they can afford to spend to develop it that determines how fast it's going to be. Three things detemine lap time potential, power to weight ratio, downforce and drag. I think it could use some more downforce, and a longer wheelbase to support a bigger diffuser would help that, but the drag and power to weight ratio appear to be there. I doubt these guys have the money to really develop it, but it's an interesting concept that could be awfully fast if it was properlly developed with a real budget and a professional team doing it. Might not be successful, but it could be pretty darn fast.

17. Chris-CXC Simulations

Chris-CXC Simulations Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris Considine
  18. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
  19. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Sure, it's an interesting concept, but he suggests on the website that based on simulated comparisons, this concept would be the equal of an existing LMP2 car "for 1/10th the price and running costs." They tout comparative data. Being familiar with contemporary LMP2 data, I question their conclusion... That's all.

20. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    The smaller-engined version (4-cyl bike motor vs. Hartley V8) has already lapped a few racecourses (Laguna, Portland) within a few seconds of their lap record for open wheel cars.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It4HlYVfZzA[/ame]
    I don't pretend that my driving abilities would be able to extract 9/10s of the performance of one of these, but I'd sure like to give one a try :)

21. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
  22. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    #22 solofast, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
    I agree, that's a bit of an "over the top" claim, unless you can back it up with lap times...

It does look like they are currently running lap times close to the Formula Atlantic lap record for the track they are testing on. As we all know there are lap records and then there are lap records that are at a championship level and those are two different things. They could easily be comparing themselves to a pretty soft record. If they are running close to a good record that's pretty impressive.

I was looking at Road Atlanta lap records and the FA Championship Swift 016.a ran a 1:14.13 and Diaz won the pole in October with a 1:12.335, so a good LMP2 car is faster than the best Atlantics by a couple of seconds. Trackpedia quotes a typical lap for a FA car at 1:20+ The 250 shifter cars are running in the very low 1:20's too, which is a lot faster than I think I'd ever want to go in a kart..

I think these guys have a long way to go before they can claim they are as fast an an LMP2 car also. They are probably pretty fast, but when you get that fast it gets hard to whack off a lot of time. You don't just go out one weekend and the find three or four (or even 10) seconds a lap that they need to be able to back up that claim.

23. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I don't have a ton of laps at Laguna Seca, but that video looks to be about 1:40 for a lap (albeit with some traffic) and I am pretty sure that is not near any serious prototype or open wheel record. The Viper ACR did 1:33 a couple of years ago.

Pretty sure fast protoypes and open wheel cars have to get under 1:20 to be fast.

24. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    Yes, the magnitude would be less in the side by side design.

25. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Umm, our quicker vintage cars do between 1:22-1:29, so yeah. It would need to do a LOT better....