The "Budget" Endurance Road Racing Thread | FerrariChat

The "Budget" Endurance Road Racing Thread

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by FarmerDave, Jan 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #1 FarmerDave, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
    I mistakenly hit submit too early, but since the thread now exists, I'll go ahead and state my intentions for starting it.

I was curious so I went to a "budget" endurance race in Houston a couple of years ago, and got hooked.

I wanted to start this thread with hopes that it becomes like the iracing thread, one that persists and floats near the top because of true interest in the subject.

I'be never felt inclined to discuss budget endurance racing here on this forum, but I notice so many other people mentioning it, that I thought I'd start a thread for "us".

2. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    The goals of this thread are to:

-Meet and Share with other fellow budget endurance road racers
    -Help those who have less experience to get started, or improve
    -Shed some light on what "crapcan" racing really is, and really is not.

There might be some debates that ensue among and with non-participants in this fprm of racing. I respectfully ask that everyone who is a participant, and those who are not, keep the following in mind.

That road racing enthusiasts and drivers, no matter what series they race, have more in common than we do differences.

3. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    So that said... Roll Call!

Tell us about your team, your car, your accomplishments, what region, what series, all that jazz. Post up your YouTubes and pictures!

I'll start... I've been "arrive and drive"-ing since May 2010 with a handful of teams in the 24hol... and I've been in a couple of CC races as well... 8 events if I'm not mistaken. Including my first Night race, the 4pm to 10am CC 18 hour enduro at Texas World Speedway. In December at the 24hol race at Eagles Canyon, I was on the four-man Class B winning team in the Fairmont Wagon, and 11th overall. Best result so far!

I just bought a car of my own to field... this one was already raced in both CC and 24hol... I'll be racing that one at TWS in February, and then between February and May's ECR race, I'll be prepping a fresh build that should prove interesting. I just partnered with a friend on a 1200 sqft shop that is exclusively for our race cars. Racing is not cheap, no matter what series!

4. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    I've raced various car , mostly over the last seven years racing an Outlawmodified (Floridas fastest 4 cyl racing with lap times about a 1/2 second slower than super late models , at DeSoto Super Speedway a 1/3 to almost 1/2 miles depending on where you measure the track 1800 pounds with me in it and about 200-220 HP) Decided to give road racing a try and did the 3 day Boundurant course , had a blast! Have done some Chumpcar races at Sebring and Roebling Road with a VW Golf and did the Chumpionship at Iowa Speedway last Labor day weekend on saturday on the roadcouse for my introduction to racing in the rain for 2 hours , then on sunday was just about to the 2 hour mark on the oval (with avg laps being almost 100mph, not bad for a crapcan) and had a colision with a guy that spun right in front of me. Have recently bought a Howe GTA car to run in the TA2 class in Trans Am .
    I will certianly do more crapcan , but being a working stiff need to put all resources into the big car right now.
    If you are ever looking for a ride to rent in the Southeast check out Mike Ogren , he prepares great cars and also has put out a frontwheel driving guide with excellent advice for those running FWD .

5. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Awesome! I know there are some other crapcan racers here. Come on in, the water's fine :)

6. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Have done three 24 Hrs. of LeMons races at CMP. And even finished one. :)

Would love to do more. Absolutely a ton of fun.

7. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
  8. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #8 FarmerDave, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Bianco

Bianco Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Doing the ChumpCar race at Laguna Seca 2-12-12 with our white 89 Mustang.

Could use one more driver. Buy-in is $300 plus gas for about 2 hrs race time.

Call me at (702) 617-3300 - Thanks! Jeff

www.downunderteam.com

10. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Aw man! If it wasn't in such close proximity to this Texas race, that would be awesome! Somebody do this, you won't regret it!

11. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    I'd love to go , but will be at Sebring this weekend . For those there , stop by the #46 Mustang and say hello to Travis and the guys at TAJ racing , great guys!

12. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #12 SWB, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    Looks like an awesome amount of fun to be had. I'm gonna check out the Chumpcar races here at Shannonville, Calabogie, Grand Bend.

13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  14. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    dozens of interwebz fames!

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  16. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Thanks for starting the Thread!!

I hope it will be a great space to find events and get technical help.

17. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    P22 of 58. Happy with that in our little FWD 1.3L 4-banger!

18. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    Sounds like a great weekend of racing ! Maybe a fleet of 5 fiats painted red could form a F Chatter team , can we find 5 willing to all run at once? LOL!!!

19. Denman_Honda

Denman_Honda Karting

Sep 3, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Denman
    Awesome Dave! You planning on running ECR 24 hr? Dirty Some Beaches will be in attendance!!

BTW for roll call...I race with Lemoncello Racing and fix the car constantly. I wouldn't have it any other way. Stewf is team captain/owner and we generally race local to DFW when schedules allow. This stuff might as well be crack.

www.lemoncelloracing.com has some pics if you are really bored lol.

20. bkniep

bkniep Karting

Dec 31, 2008
    St Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Bill Kniep
    We just bought an 87 BMW E30 coupe for $1. Engine on the way for $200. Two BMW mechanics and 2 regular Joes form team BAA. We are the Bavarian Alcoholics Anonymous and will be covering the car with free promo crap from my wine and spirits wholesale business.
    We have 4 months to get ready for the 14 hour CC enduro at Gateway in St Louis.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Bill

21. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    FarmerDave,

Please excuse my ignorance, but what are you driving? I can't make out
    the type of car etc?? Good luck with your race!

Mark

22. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #23 FarmerDave, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    does that Volvo have a broken LF shock?

:eek:

24. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Dave's being humble.

He did a great job as team manager. His little machine just ran and ran all weekend, he had good logistics with fuel calculations, radios, dedicated driver order and everything. His team could come in, get a tank of gas, swap drivers, check tire pressures and be out in 5 minutes. I've seen other teams spend 15 minutes just -looking- for their next driver.

The team ended up halfway up the overall standings, and 7th or 8th in class, despite being one of the slowest cars on the track. Flat out, the car was giving up 30+ seconds a lap to the first place Class B car on a ~2:15 minute track. Had the car been classed in C as it had been in every race prior, it likely would have been a class win on the team's first outing.

Good job Dave!