Trailer advise | FerrariChat

Trailer advise

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by JPNF355, May 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JPNF355

JPNF355 Rookie

Sep 12, 2005
    Hampton Roads VA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I recently bought a track prepped F355 to augment my MR2 for track days, which I do quite a bit of (i instruct). I am looking into upgrading my basic open trailer to an open race car trailer, as I don't think much of the underside of the 355 would remain after attempting to get up my ramps, even if I get those extended race ramps. Can anyone point me in the right direction for good quality open trailers? I tow with a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with 6500lb. capacity.

Thanks

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You are already undergunned on the Taco. It will do the job just not very well. You can buy an open trailer with a "dovetail". That and longer ramps and you are fine. Another trick is to use a variable height ball mount hitch. The ball assembly slides vertically on the mount. So you tow at the proper level. When you get to the track you pull out your floor jack and jack up the front so the sliding mount is now higher which tips the tail lower. It is really fast this way since there is nothing to take off and it is secure because it is still connected to the mount. Think the reverse of a drop hitch needed when a 4x4 pickup truck is used as a tow vehicle.

3. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms

I ended up with a 2 car enclosed and was prepping my single enclosed to sell to a friend. The tongue jack was getting a little long in the tooth so I replaced it with a 4K pound electric. Never again will I crank a tongue jack..... that thing will stretch out the rear springs on the truck with the flick of a switch. I was able to back out the 348 race car without rubbing for the first time, simply by raising the front without disconnecting. Best couple hundred bucks I ever spent, every trailer I have will now get one. Flick another switch and there is a very bright LED lighting up the hitch area. That, with a couple of 5 foot aluminum extension ramps from PitStop and I have no problems.

4. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Check out Trailex. The open trailers are light and strong. You have a ton of options.
    Www.trailex.com

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    A nice Featherlite trailer should do fine for you. The open version they sell weighs around 1300# and with the car will be a touch under 5000#, so well within your towing limits. I used to tow a little car on an open trailer with a Honda Odyssey rated at 3500#, and it was not a problem. I would recommend getting a transmission cooler and changing the trans fluid in your Taco about every 10k miles.
    :)
    BT

6. JPNF355

JPNF355 Rookie

Sep 12, 2005
    Hampton Roads VA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thanks guys, I will look into all your suggestions.

7. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Where are you located. I know of 2 aluminum open trailer for sale in northern NJ - FCA members who have "retired" from tracking their cars.

8. JPNF355

JPNF355 Rookie

Sep 12, 2005
    Hampton Roads VA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I am in the Yorktown Va area, so NJ is possible. I'm interested to learn more, what's the best way to communicate?

Thanks very much

9. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Guys, anyone have an aluminum trailer for sale?

Looking for enclosed but would consider an open one also. I'd say 20-22' max so I can stay well below my 8500lb tow rating and with my HEAVY (2841 lbs) car up in the mountains.

Thanks,
    LS

10. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    PM FasterIsBetter.

11. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    +1. They provide excellent post sales service/support too.

12. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I just jack up the front of the trailer when loading my (lowered) 355. My trailer is an open 19' superior with dove tail. I like the idea of the electric jack, though, any links?

13. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I have a Trailex open trailer that I used for my Corvette Z06s when I tracked them. They were lowered, but I had no problem getting them on and off the trailer, and never scraped. I've put my former 308 and my current 328 on that trailer, and my Jaguar XKE as well, and all go on and off without a problem. My trailer has a tire rack and a front barrier, as well as a WARN winch and tool box, and the whole rig, empty, weighs around 1000 lbs. With even the heaviest car weighing 3500 lbs, plus tires, the whole rig weighs under 5K lbs. No problem towing it.

I'm actually considering selling the trailer, since I don't do track events anymore. If anyone is interested, PM me. Trailer is located in NJ.

14. LOLAF1RACER

LOLAF1RACER Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2007
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I used a "Trailex "open model, with power winch, tool box, & tire rack for about 8 years , great product , light , pulled with a Bronco . Used for my 308 & 348 track cars . Highly recommend

15. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    My two cents? For the small price difference an enclosed trailer will keep your car nicer, be easier to load and unload and gives you a dry/private place to change into your gear and it becomes rolling storage shed/garage back at home. If your rig can pull it, enclosed is better!

16. time

time Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2011
    Full Name:
    DeeGee
    I just purchased a 45' Featherlite enclosed and am very impressed with the quality. The trailer was built in 1995. I have looked over every weld and rivet and can't find a single issue. Amazing for 18 years of use.

17. Feffman

Feffman Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    Gateway To The West
    Full Name:
    Feff
    +1 here. With the economy in it's present state, nice enclosed trailers are abundant. I bought a very nice 2010 20' enclosed trailer in late 2012 for $4,500. Needed new tires and away we went.

Feff