Rossion or SPF gt40 | FerrariChat

Rossion or SPF gt40

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by boxerman, Jul 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Been tracking my faithful elise for the past year. At the point of another suspension upgrade and serious HP upgrade. Alternatively considering a different car for the track.

Tried a SPF GT 40 on the road, but apart from the power it felt a little soft and mushy compared to and elise, the steering had this very dead on center feel. Perhaps it was just the street setup? The appeal apart from the looks, power and history is that a GT 40 is durable and economical to run at the track while relatively easily maintained at home.

Then I saw a rossion, alsways discounted them because the noble I had seen previously seemed crudely built. But the rossion appeared almost germanic in build and I know they are light and lotus like. But is it too much of a street car for hardcore tracking, and are they durable.

Anybody have any experience with either of these they care to share, and or any comparative notes?

Other choices seem to be a z06 vette, they go but seem a little big for shorter tracks and they are somehow lacking in feel, a little too streetcar. Porche GT3 appeals, but you have to buy used and they are major $$$ to run, plus there is limited self servicing to be done.

So its back to SPF GT40 or rossion or maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a dedicated track car, but most of these seem to require a lot of fettling and are not really plug and play.

So any experience or opinion appreciated, especialy any track experience with a rossion or SPF Gt40.

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    There's a guy that had a Noble at one of the car gatherings I've been to. Seems like the thing had nothing but issues, but he did say it was awesome when it was in use.

Personally, I like the SPF - I just love the look. Not sure how well built they are, but they are quite sharp.

Good luck either way!

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    #3 95spiderman, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    you already have ultimate go kart car experience with lotus so why not try something different? dont laugh but you should try out a gtr. its the exact opposite of elise but tons of fun on track. and better both street and track than z06. i had a gt3 prior to gtr and prefer the nissan. gt3 service is very easy though. just change oil, tires, pads, and get front slotted rotors

otherwise, i would just upgrade to a exige 260. not a fan of noble/roisson. cant be easy to service one

4. Pro Stock

Pro Stock Karting

Jul 5, 2008
    Toronto, Canada.
    Full Name:
    Ron V.
    Keep the Elise and buy a Dedicated Track Car. Otherwise you will always be compromising.

There are a few good deals to be had on a used Radical SR3 right now. For 30K you just can't go wrong with one of these things.

and to top it off, it will make your Elise "feel a little soft and mushy". :)

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #5 boxerman, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    Actualy compared to the stripped spec miata I drove at the Glenn the elise does feel a little mushy, and I am running the sports suspension.

Yes I know on the elise I can go with ohlins shock/springs and supercharge to 300rwhp.
    But then i am putting another 10-15k into the car and I feel it will lose some of its lightweight balance and streetability.

Yes the GTR is great, its the one consistently fast car at the track everywhere corners straights etc, but they do seem to wilt from really hard laps, its the weight. A z06 is also fast.

Dedicated track car is probably the way to go, but most track cars (open single seaters) I have experienced are punishing to drive and very unforgiving at the limit.

Idealy whatever it is should steer like a spec Miata/elsie, be buttoned down like a spec maiata be charismatic like a GT40 and have a sweet motor like a GT3, all while being turnkey developed like a factory car. Not sure such a beast exists except maybe a 458 challenge car, which is going to cost 3 small fortunes to run at thet track, not to metntion to purchase, and is not exactly home serviceable.

The z06 puts down the numbers but plastic fantastic just does not appeal, and trutfully they seem to be point and squirt cars, maybe a new viper, or a LS3 miata conversion?

No problem with dedicated track car, but what assuming below 100K. i will try a GTr though, they are intriguing. A litle turned off on the big streetcar for the track thing after experiencing how lame my M3 was on the track, it being a car that would need new brakes shocks and springs to be driven with any kind of serious vigor on track and realistcaly still too heavy, while then being too hard for the street.

6. Pro Stock

Pro Stock Karting

Jul 5, 2008
    Toronto, Canada.
    Full Name:
    Ron V.
    A Brand New SR3 from Spring Mountain is 109K. Well driven it will blow the doors off ever car you mentioned in the above post.

Punishing? Depends on how hard you drive it. ;)

And it is Quite forgiving at the limit.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yes but radical is so extreme that there is no one to play with on a track day, and there is a lot of maintanance. Lotus 211 more balanced approach. Neither has really charismatic motor though.

Rossion forums seem to speak of lots of little bugs.

8. Pro Stock

Pro Stock Karting

Jul 5, 2008
    Toronto, Canada.
    Full Name:
    Ron V.
    Good Points, maintenance is key but I enjoy working on it.

A 1300cc on R compounds will play pretty nicely with modern Vettes and Porsches. A side bonus would be the 1300cc is pretty indestructible and you would almost NEVER need new tires.

Whats not to love about 10,000 RPM and a Sequential 6 Speed???

I am pretty biased though........ :)

Good Luck with the search.

The GTR intrigues me as well. It is a Very impressive piece of machinery.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Not needing new tires every 5 min, awesome, Ok so where to find a really good 1300 radical.

10. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Call Dennis Olthoff about the SPF. I went quicker in his big block race car than any SR3 on VIR Grand (there's something about 170+ on the back straight and pit straight :D) and his stuff is built well. You could build to a trim that would allow UTCC, NASA, vintage, club days and be happy.

11. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Just means you're not going fast enough to move the car around.. ;)

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I visited Dennis and drove a SPF on the street. Maybe it was the setup of that particular car but the steering felt numb on the straight ahead and inital turn in(almost like an old power steering system), then it loaded up nicely. maybe I am spoiled by the directness of a lotus or maybe it was the street setup, but the whole car just seemed soft, besides the power not really alive. Maybe a track version is different?

The SPF has great appeal, easily maintainable, and very robust, plus it can be raced, and its a keeper, if you like it its not like something newer will steal your heart.

. But then the rossion seemed to have the same good benefits with more lotus like steering, not that i have driven one.

Would love a SPF that was direct in steering and alive in suspension, do they come that way.

13. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Ask Dennis, but I would think so.

14. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I had a friend with the last version of the Noble before it was named Rossion. We ran it against my F430 four times up to about 110mph and every single time it was a few feet behind my rear bumper. I was surprised to see him behind me judging from the weight to power ratio, but he always came up with an excuse as to why. He always praised the car until he sold it and after that said as a street car was fun, but as a track car it just can't take the abuse. From another friend I was told the car always had issues all the time. As far as the GT40 you're talking about, great cars. I forgot who, but one of the guys who drove the real thing at LeMans bought a Superformance GT40 a few years ago and Derek Bell was driving one in Sebring and had only great things to say, just like Tiff. Look them up on youtube fifth gear and Derek Bell at Sebring.

I was about to jump on a Superformance GT40 or a custom build Porsche 908 coupe, but other priorities got in my way. Another F-chatter I think NSXER or something like that owns two Superformance GT40s, he might give you his own views. Good luck.

15. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Is this for track days or racing? Radicals sharing the road with GTR's etc.. seem scary.
    Road cars always will be a compromise until you make it a dedicated race car.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #16 boxerman, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    Track days more than racing, not least because of time constraints, but an occasional competition is always fun. Car can be dedicated for track use though as have a trailer. Hence appeal of GT40. I agree street cars
    ultimately too compromised, and they become too hard for street and too soft for track.

But as I have been tracking a lotus, I really enjoy the momentum and skill aspect of the being quic on the track, and so want something that still retains that finesse as power is added to the equation. I constantly see people in really powerful cars blasting down the straight but really missing the finer points in the corners because they have too much car and have never been forced and or learned to get the other parts right to get a decent lap time.

There is a lot of fun in holding the big metal at bay through the bends, or even pushing them on corners, and putting distance on them so that all the power they have in the straights is not enough to make up the difference. But it is also increadibly frustraing to have a power wall where you get stuck behind someone who pulls distance on the straights and is stuck in your windsheild throght the twisties. I know there should be pointbys but its still a frustration and on a bigger track like the Glenn the power is nice to have anyway. Its just that I dont want a car with power but also weight and bluntness so that I loose whatever little finesse and skill I have learned throught he bends by being corrupted. Plus really having the car talk to you and wearing it is all part of the skill building and fun.

One choice is supercharging the lotus, and going with adjustable shocks and a bit of aero, but then why not strip the car put in a cage etc and pretty soon it can't be a street car. I know this would be a natural progression.

A Radical would probably corrupt eveywhere because the car would easily outdrive me. Seen it a lot of time with people in things like GT2's where they drive like crap but car so good compared to the others it does not matter.

Thought about something like a 355 Cahllenge, but hard to find a really good one, and these cars need a degree of love and attention and time I am not sure I can give.

In the end its not about ultimate times(radical) but fun skill and freindship, plus of maybe some walter mitty in a containable budget. From week to week the little bits like Tires/wheels brakes oil etc I should be able to do myself, as it saves $$$ and also important time and hasslein getting the car to someone, plus its fun to do.

So ideal the car should drive like a lotus, be as strong as a vette have charisma and be a little comfortable. I do see people with stripped 3 series BMW's going like the clappers, but these cars are also a little too science project for me.

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

You know whats real fun ?
    To go out mano-a-mano in equal cars in a pack and have it out.
    You will often be humbled.
    Occasionally you will do well. Many times for me its mid-pack if that.
    But in the end its you, not the car, that has accomplished the task.

I'll take the visceral racing experience in a $10k Formula Vee over a Ferrari FXX track day program any day.
    Really.

Everyone's different but at least try it.

18. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I'm a huge fan of the Superformance GT40. I think that they're pretty brilliant cars. I just wish they didn't cost so much. It's hard to justify the cost when 355 ad 360 prices are where they are.

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

you are describing the superformance gt-40 perfectly. understand that the superformance gt-40 is a true faithful recreation and NOT a kit car. it is nearly identical to the real thing and will need to be seriously respected on the track. it is a car that will hurt you if you are not respectful.

my friend lee holman hates the car as it is such a quality machine and the value is 4 x what lee can build for you. now that said, lee has a car with arguably some real pedigree...but there is no denying the superformance gt-40.

20. NSXER

NSXER Formula 3

Jan 4, 2004
    Kansas
    #20 NSXER, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not sure what I can add other than vouche for the SPF GT40. They are amazing cars. I have both an MKI and MKII. On the track they are awesome...not too many cars can touch them. You mentioned that the steering seemed a little off-center...this can easiliy be fixed. The entire car is adjustable. Out of all my cars they are probably the most fun to drive. If you are serious about one I know of an MKII for sale at a fantastic price with the top of the line Roush 427 (575hp).

Brian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Having driven both on-track (and pretty quickly), I agree wholeheartedly. I was shocked at how benign the handling of these cars are. Sweethearts. Sliding around, easy!

They are. The big block is so easy to drive quickly. Not much shifting and herculean torque! That said, the small block sound makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

My friend Jack Lewis and I drove them both at VIR at the last SAAC at VIR. He in a small block, me in the big block. Our times were near identical. Of course, Dennis blew us BOTH off, but Jack and I posted the second and third quickest laps of the weekend of EVERY car there... Plus you can run in track days, NASA and even most US historic racing, depending on the spec. Very versatile, much more so than the Rossian.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I did with spec Maiata, best learning curve ever. You follow other where they are fatser than you and learn how to do it better.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Hi Brian

The steering seemed to have something feeling similar to play when on center, but it wasn't play, then in a bend it loaded up nice. Hard to describe exactly more like a lack of on center directness or connectoin, almost feeling too light like freeplay,and then loading up nice. a point in the middle without direct contact, sort of like slop but it was not freeplay.

The shift was alse really really notchy and I drive a BBI. But I understand that the RHD has a more direct linkage using rods not cable.

Was thinking of a RHD GR40R with an injected small block, but then everything has a value would be interested to hear about the MK2.

LHD better for all around use but as purpose for track, RHD for shifting and weight balance seems better. If the LHD shift were great it would be LHD though.

Very interested to hear your experience and opinions, I know a SPF is a keeper, if you like it there is no newer version comming along and it should last longer than me.

24. NSXER

NSXER Formula 3

Jan 4, 2004
    Kansas
    Steering can easily be adjusted so do not worry. Steering on my MKII is set lighter than my MKI...
    LHD is better for the street and overall driving...especially for toll booths and passing on two lane roads (unless you have a passenger to help see). Cable shifter can also be slightly adjusted on LHD cars. Good deals on SPF cars are drying up fast and will not be getting cheaper. The MKII I know of costs $130K+ to build, he will sell for $105K. PM me if interested.

Brian

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yeah I figured 130k for a good build, interesting that thye retain value.
    Is your Mk1 a GT40r or a regular with canards.
    My priority is track, but, a GT40 R has no ac is harder to get in and out of and all the other variables you mention.. It is the eternal debate whther to go LHD and Ac but setup for track retaing good possible street use for future. Or just go the R route including side impact bars and forget about ever running on street.

It is really a question, how much of a compromise is LHD on track.