Electric kart for kids? | FerrariChat

Electric kart for kids?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by jznd, Mar 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Hi, thinking about buying a couple of electric karts for my kids to get an early taste of driving. A few constraints though, any input much appreciated:

1. They're young...7, 5, and 3. Too young?
    2. Not great access to good venues - my apartment building has a paved tennis court where I can set cones up, but it's surrounded on by concrete walls and I won't be able to cushion them with old tires as it's for common use. So the Karts couldn't be too fast or have a nice fat bumper on all sides.

The safe option would be to get one of those ride-on toys from Toys R Us, but they're so slow that they wouldn't have much fun.

I was looking at the Razor Ground Force as one that seems to be a step up from a plastic toy, but not as fast as a real kart. Razor Ground Force Electric Go Kart | Razorama.com. Anyone have experience with these, or can suggest an alternative?

2. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    oops - I meant "So the Karts couldn't be too fast, or they should have a nice fat bumper on all sides."

3. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #3 Heat Seeker WS6, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Do a search and see if there is an actual kart track & club in your area. There are classes in many kart clubs that are for drivers as young as 5. http://www.kartingasia.com/kart_tracks/china-karting-tracks.php
    There are race karts made specifically for the kids and they have thier own classes, rules and gear as the older classes.

Here are 2 pics of a jr class from The Mid State Kart Club in Springfield, IL from last summer when we were there racing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    The only kart track remaining in Hong Kong was shut down after a tragic accident a couple years ago unfortunately. So I'd be looking at just setting up cones on the tennis court (I can remove the net and poles) for just casual fun driving. As the kids get better, I could start setting up auto-cross style courses and timing them.

Eventually when I move back to the US, I'd like to get them involved in the local karting scene, but for now, we'll just have to make do.

5. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I have two of those Razor Ground Force karts. I bought them for my (at the time) 7 year old son and 5 year old daughter. (They are now 8 and 6.)

The karts top out at 15 MPH with a full charge. That doesn't seem fast on paper, but when you are chasing after your daughter who is dissapearing down the street, it is very, very fast!

The quality of the karts isn't that good. The seat belt, for example, is for "display purposes only." (Says so right in the manual -- the clasp is plastic and would not survive a collision.) The batteries last about a year, but they don't cost very much. To replace them, however, you have to remove the seat and motor cover. The batteries are soldered to the motor, so you have to cut the wires and add a connector. The throttle on one of my kids karts is starting to act up (a common complaint). Fortunately parts are pretty cheap.

The karts are very heavy. Most likely to keep them from flipping.

The wheels are plastic and wear quickly. This limits their traction. (Again, I'm assuming to prevent flipping. In a turn the kart will slide rather than flip.) My kids have fun sliding the karts around corners.

When they started driving, my kids ran into everything. Seriously, everything. They are better drivers now, but still regularly run into curves. I think that it would be fairly easy to bolt on some big foam bumpers.

There is no suspension on the karts. The wheels are hard, the seat is hard plastic. The kids are suspension. Honestly, my back cringes whenever I see one of the kids go over a bump.

All in all, I think that the karts are cool. The kids really like them and ask to ride quite often. (Especially my daughter -- she's fearless.) My wife hates the karts due to their speed. My son is almost too big for his. He's 8, but big. His knees are already hitting the steering wheel. He probably has another 6 months to ride his.

6. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Oh, one thing I forgot to mention... My kids love being timed on the karts. (They do not like to race against each other -- it always ends with one of them being upset...) Just like F1 qualifying, though, the karts are only really good for one or two "hot laps." After that, the lap times degrade as the battery loses its charge. I've had a lot of fun teaching the kids about apex corners, slow-in/fast-out, and the dangers of throttle-off oversteer.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Just got 1 for my 4 yr old to practice on before he gets a gas kart

Definately going to buy some extra batteries & wheels

Going to set up an autocross for him :)

8. jznd

jznd Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Thanks for the input - I'll get a Razor and see how they go!

9. Forza Nero

Forza Nero Rookie

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks for that link. I am planning to get one for my 5 yr old

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I had my son in the Razor for a few months & he learned to steer, do autocross, slalom, hairpins & even lap times :)

We have an 1/8 mile driveway so he has plenty of room.. Now I have hay bales on the walls to keep him safe.

Our Razor had rubber tires & they grip well & the seat belt isn't great but its ok

Now he's on to a gas kart but we'll still use the razor on the driveway.

The razor is so fast I would suggest against it if you don't have a nice big safe place to use it

11. Gennarino

Gennarino Rookie

Dec 18, 2014
    Hi Everybody! I think that a 3 year old kid is perhaps too young to start go karting, but for the other kids it's alright in my opinion! As far as the model of go kart is concerned, I have always used the electric vehicles produced by this company Electric Karts - OTL: design of electrical vehicles and go kart tracks . I'm not sure if they also deal with go kart for kids, but you might ask! Good luck ;)

12. Gennarino

Gennarino Rookie

Dec 18, 2014
    Hi everybody! I think that a 3year old kid is too young to start go karting, but for the other it is ok in my opinion! As far as the model of go kart is concerned, I have always used the electric vehicles produces by this company Electric Karts - OTL: design of electrical vehicles and go kart tracks . I am not sure if they also deal with karts for kids, but you might ask! Good luck ;)

13. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH