how fast can my 3.4L 308 go around Road Atlanta. going soon! | FerrariChat

how fast can my 3.4L 308 go around Road Atlanta. going soon!

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Ferraripilot, Jun 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    #1 Ferraripilot, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey all, getting excited here. Heading to Road Atlanta to either the late July or late August session which Chin Motorsports runs.

So how fast do you think a pro can get her around? Warning, I am NOT a pro, I just watch entirely too much F1 and have driven Road Atlanta a couple times already in other cars. I am pretty handy at heal and toe'ing and know the Road Atlanta line pretty well for whatever that's worth.

about the machine:

76 308GTB

-272bhp with 225lbs torque at the wheels, naturally aspirated (330ish at the crank)

-weight: 2800lbs with about half tank
    -QA1 shocks with 450lbs front springs and 400lbs rear (will be installed in a couple weeks which is why I'm not quite sure which session I will run yet!)
    -stock brakes but with Porterfield pads and Motul fluid (hey, makes a difference)
    -hard suspension bushings
    -stock sway bars
    -16" wheels with Bridgestone Pole position tires (prepared to be destroyed)

I figured if I can get close to 1:40 I will be very happy. What do the pros here think.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I'm going in at 1:47.

3. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    A spec Miata can do a 1:44ish, I'm pushing much better power to weight so I hope I'm at least a few seconds quicker.

My acceleration especially above 70mph is eons quicker than some spec Miata :D Those spec guys are hitting around 110mph in the long areas, if I don't hit somewhere around 125mph there I will be shocked. Granted they're running Hoosiers, but I'm not going to be that much off in the turns, not at Road Atl anyway.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TEHde-xkbk]Fast Spec Miata Lap at Road Atlanta - YouTube[/ame]

A really good Ferrari 360 drive is worth a 1:30 there. I think I can get within 12 seconds of that. We'll see.

4. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Brakes are going to be your limiting factor. I predict that if a pro drives this car that the brake pedal will be on the floor by the end of the first lap. HOPEFULLY not at turn 10...
    BTW I ran the Mitty there this year...like I do every year and a 997 Cup Car with a good driver ran 1:32 so I seriously doubt a 360 Ferrari can run a 1:30...unless its being towed by an Audi LMP car

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

a spec Miata has hosers yes...but also tons of camber zero weight, chassis stiffening, and many are cheater motors. they are quick enough.

your car is too nice to run super hard around road a.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Cymbal crash! Damn, you're good. Have you ever thought about quitting your day job?

7. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    You'd be doing very well in the 1:48-1:49 range.

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'd say that's accurate, i did a 42.4 there in my 996 on R1's, I'd add at least 4 seconds for treaded street tires and that's close to your power/weight ratio too. brakes and 1970's Italian suspension tuning would probably add a bit more to the equation so a 1:48-1:50 is a good ballpark.

9. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I can run 1:45-46 in my spec miata with the right temps etc. Your car will not out handle a SM but certainly has better hp:weight for the long straights. Just be sure you get a good run out of 7 and 10A, probably the two most important turns to get right IMO.

Remember, if you don't get it on video it didnt happen. Look forward to your results, good luck and be safe.

10. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    excellent stuff guys thanks. I already figured I would test the cars capabilities at turn 10 more than anywhere else!

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Maybe somebody else here will remember the guy's user name. I believe it had "Stereo" in it. But he put a lot of money into turning his 308 into a track car and finally gave up and went formula racing. If I recall correctly, the biggest problem was body roll. So you might want to search to find his posts.

Good luck.

12. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    ?????

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I just thought your LMP comment was pretty funny. Maybe I have a warped sense of humor. :)

14. Pro Stock

Pro Stock Karting

Jul 5, 2008
    Toronto, Canada.
    Full Name:
    Ron V.
    My bet is slightly slower than my Ford F150. (on street tires) :)

15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I would say that if you broke 1:50 with the car that it may be time to consider a career change :)

16. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hey John :) Do you have a sump baffle installed, or do you just "over-fill" the oil for track runs?

17. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Have you ever been on a track before?

Stay safe.

18. Pro Stock

Pro Stock Karting

Jul 5, 2008
    Toronto, Canada.
    Full Name:
    Ron V.
    I believe he has. He mentions that in the first post.

19. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  20. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Oh yeah this should be interesting.
    Best of luck to you and the car!

FWIW last time I had my 308QV w/ QA1s, 300/300#, street tires and stock but fresh brakes on a track (Road America) I was passing 360s, 430s, and hounded a F40 for a whole lap.

Sure it was during the lunchtime touring session of the FCA event but I'm sure they were pushing it to the limit! :)

21. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    So 2:00+ ?
    ;)

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Parade laps don't count.

23. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

I will overfill it a bit. If it's a problem I will pull out of any quick laps.

Easyrider, I have been to this track before with a superformance GT40 (not mine, I wish though) a little less than a year ago. I drove two sessions banging in something like 40-50 laps. I started lapping well above 2 minutes lol. As I gained confidence I think I ended up with a best time of 1:39ish, I know it was below 1:40. Lots of power in that rig, I made it up to about 150mph prior to turn 10. Very balanced in the esses, but I actually think a well set up 308 could go through the esses just about as quick.

24. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    yeah yeah yeah that didn't stop those fancy Ferraris from nailing it on the straights, only to find me right back on their rear bumpers halfway through the next turn ;)

25. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    was waiting for someone to catch... didn't want to be an obvious dick.

highly doubt the 308 can run SM times. those little f'ers are fast and run flat out. like little gnats.

you'll, more than likely, be in the novice chin group especially if its your first time with them and have some traffic on saturday. sunday is a free for all.

chin at RA, it's an all out arms race, you'll be spending a good amount of time giving point byes to the gt3 and z06 mafias.

if i'm on it, i get can the 575 to 165-170ish into 10a depending on how stupid im feeling and i have all sorts of little things lapping me.