Help with Motive Power Bleeder | FerrariChat

Help with Motive Power Bleeder

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jeffg11, Jul 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    Can someone point me in the right direction? I am trying to replace the brake fluid in my 360. I have the Motive system set up and it is holding 15psi. When I crack the bleed screws I get a small trickle of fluid but nothing like I have seen on my race cars or my Elise. Is there a trick to the 360 brake system? What I am missing?

Thanks
    Jeff

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm no expert on 360s but I have run at the track with quite a few and it's my understanding that you can't bleed the system without Ferrari's special electronic tool?

Do some searching in this section and I bet you'll find more about this.

3. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
  4. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
  5. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I do not have a 360. I have a 550. It trickles with the Motive just like yours. There isn't a gallon of fluid in the system. So what if it takes 60 seconds instead of 30 seconds to flush each caliper? I like to use alternating colors to make it really easy to tell when I'm done. The advantage of the Motive is that you are less likely to run out of fluid in the reservoir and inject air into the lines accidentally. Some say that the ignition should be on. I haven't found that necessary.

6. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    I will attempt to close the loop on my issue. It appears I had two issues. First, the crossover tube on the right rear caliper was plugged preventing fluid to flow. Secondly, the power bleeder didn't generate enough pressure to completely bleed the system. After I resolved those two issues I resorted to the old fashion method. To properly bleed the car it also required running the engine. I would love to know which component requires a running engine to open the brake circuit.

7. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I have bled my 360 at all points with the motive power bleeder with no problem. This includes the clutch, and both points at the master cylinder. 15psi seems to be fine - but much lower slows things down. As long as I pump up to 15psi before a pair of bleeders, it seems to flow ok. Its certainly not gushing out - and doing a full fluid change takes a few minutes at each corner. Only thing you need the electronic tool for is flushing the ABS module, which purportedly holds a tiny amount of fluid. I also don't have the engine running. I change or bleed frequent enough that I don't need to worry about that (and I doubt many service people actually go through that step). I'm guessing you have some build up in the system, or at the caliper, that is slowing things down a bit more. I think you can run up to 20psi on the motive if memory serves...

JJR likes this.
  8. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    That's the problem with the Motive power bleeder and all those pump devices, they don't generate enough suction, and you end up pumping the brakes anyway.

9. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I had same problem with the Motive, it was not for a 360, but could not pump up enough without it lossing the 15 psi too quickly. Turned out the unit was missing the gasket in the cap that attaches to the master cylinder. Motive sold me a gasket and its been fine.

I do not like putting the fluid in the canister, I prefer to add fresh fluid directly into the master cylinder. For me was less of a mess with results. Of course, need to be careful not to drain too much fluid from master cylinder.

10. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    right! they make negative suction. at any rate, works great regularly for me.

11. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    The Motive unit works on pressure, the MightyVac works on suction... both great units, but, I've done countless cars with the Motive and no issues. I never put the pressure above 15psi, work far-to-near on the bleeders, and always fill from the unit itself so no air is introduced into the system. I also crack the bleeders open only until fluid starts to come out and not fully, because that gives you a chance of air around the threads if for some reason your pressure did run fill down and you close the valve.

For a true bleed (and clean) you really need more than what the car itself holds. I will take just about all out that I can... again not to get too near the bottom for air to enter... and work from there understanding the initial valve you bleed is pushing out a mixture of old and the new. Plus you have all that are in the lines to evacuate.

12. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Could anyone post the size needed for front and rear speedbleeders, as well as recommended brand? I just bought a set for my Dino and now want a set for the 360.

13. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Just bought suction bleeder from Northern Tool. Hooks up to air compressor and generates much more vacuum than a hand held pump like MightyVac. Can't go wrong for $28. Griots sells the same unit but without a fill bottle for $30. You do need to purchase an NPT quick-connector as it does not come with the unit.
    I have the Motive Power pressure unit and it's ok but no adapter for the Dino (you can send them a reservoir cap and they will make it into an adaptor for $25, but then you need to buy the whole reservoir bottle for $70 just to get the cap). And at 15 psi it takes a while to flush a whole system. Easier to use vacuum than pressure, and less messy provided you always keep fluid in the reservoir. And no worries about an adaptor that may or may not seal correctly. Just hook up hose to bleeder screw and pull the trigger.

I have a set of speedbleeder valves I am about to install on the Dino but have much concern over pumping the brake peddle and damaging the master cylinder, which is apparently easy to do on an older car. I will use the speedbleeders with the vacuum unit to be safe.

If anyone knows what size speedbleeder screw fts the 360 please post or pm me. Pretty sure it is M10 for the P4 38/42 Brembos, but there are 2 different lengths. Many thanks.

14. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Anybody able to confirm the brake bleeder size for an F430? Thanks

15. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Motive works fine, I use 5 psi tops...

Take out the bleed screw and blow it out, may have gunk in it. Even at 5 psi fluid should easily come out...

The big risk with the motive at 15 psi is that it springs a leak and shoots paint-peeling brake fuid all over your car...

16. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #16 UroTrash, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In response to the OP (yes, I know it is 3 years ago) it may not be the bleeder, it may be the fluid.

I wonder why they use thus particular fluid with such a problem?

Would ATE work without the sludge issue?

If I had a 360 I would surely try to change.

Credit to Forza #149 May 2016
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I have Speed Bleeders in all my cars.......they are the cats ass. My suction bleeder went into the dumpster.
    If you call the people at Speed Bleeder they will give you the size required for your model of car. They instantly knew the correct size for a 1966 Jaguar.

18. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    ^^^This,

ran into this problem a few times, makes a simple bleed job a real PITA!

I've never had that problem with ATE fluid, only seen it with the stuff that the factory or the dealership is using per the factory.

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That column was written by FChat's Brian Crall.

20. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I bought this unit based on a recommendation. It's a good unit (horrible instructions) but to be honest, it's over kill for a home mechanic. It requires that you keep more fluid in the unit and I don't love that (for infrequent use).

It will probably be in the classifieds here soon and I'll get a smaller unit for single use applications.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM9-VGlBZHQ[/ame]

21. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    For the 360, don't you need to run the ABS pump to bleed the system property? As in, turn on the ignition key, but not the engine. Then, like the 355, isn't there a bleed screw on the master cylinder under the front bonnet? And lastly, of course, the advice about obstructed bleed vents is a good one. I use a pump type pressure bleeder with no issues.

22. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Vince,

On at least early 95's 355's, they don't have a bleed screw on the master, you need to crack the line.

23. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I hope I gave credit correctly.

24. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I just use gravity. Open the bleeder and it will slowly drain.