Nissan Aero Head on GT-R | FerrariChat

Nissan Aero Head on GT-R

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by vinuneuro, Sep 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    #1 vinuneuro, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Pretty cool nonetheless.

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Interesting. Ive met the gtr project boss, mizuno, and his feeling is that gtr weight helps with downforce too. Made me think of road hugging weight from old pontiac commercials

Regardless he has retired and nismo is working with williams f1 to get less weight and more aero on next gtr. We will see

4. TudorMiron

TudorMiron Rookie

Jan 1, 2007
    In fact it is almost sad to read... It suggests that in order to please gt-r owners God himself changed Newton rules and He made it for this particular car only. But bare facts are that with reduced weight (interior and some other bits) otherwise bone stock gt-r was accelerating faster and recorded higher g’s while braking and cornering. I have logged data to confirm it (used AIM data logger plugged into gt-r own CAN interface reading from aim as well as from factory installed sensors. Data actually matched). Or may be I wasn’t that lucky and in my case Newton rules where (once again) imposed.

5. EfiOz

EfiOz Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Lago di Legana
    Full Name:
    Lucivius Maximus
    He's not entirely wrong. In a steady state condition that is.

The annoying thing that messes is theory up is that performance cars have this habit of needing to change direction to negotiate any given road/track!

6. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    It amazes me that this giant ungainly looking car can have such low drag. The original was .27 but I think the 2012 or 2013 updates dropped that to .26. Amazing.

7. TudorMiron

TudorMiron Rookie

Jan 1, 2007
    People much smarter and better qualified than me suggested to not get carry away by CD coeff. Actual drag is calculated using Cd AND frontal area (and air dencity and velocity ^2). GTR's frontal area is on the large side.
    BTW, I'm not trying to say that gtr35 is a bad car. It's actually a lot of car for the money. Just don't get persuaded by advertising pamflets :) And sorry for my English.

8. TudorMiron

TudorMiron Rookie

Jan 1, 2007
    Exactly :) In order to be competetive car has to accelerate longitudinally and lateraly, would be nice if it does it better than competition.

Thanks
    Ted

9. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    When will Nissan come up with the Nismo GTR...?

10. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    Nismo GT-R will be shown this week at the LA Auto Show

11. Kyoso_Joey

Kyoso_Joey Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Joey
  12. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    The weight doesn't exactly help with downforce but grip.

I think its sort of like putting sand bangs on the back of your RWD car in the snow.

13. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ_LPKXRGZ0]Nürburgring lap: Nissan GT-R NISMO - YouTube[/ame]